Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
With my ability to shitpost curtailed recently I played the game a drat lot.
It's great.

I started with Predator as politico at the bottom but got bored driving at the back after a season and applied to WMC Scuderia and Van Dort. The former rejected me and the latter accepted. They had just hired not-Kimi and instead of not-Hulkenberg as driver. He got me a bunch of unexpected podiums.

Five years later in an absolutely dominating season despite having "only" the fourth best car:

Pascal btw only won that championship because in the latter half of the season Ribeiro decided to focus on his new music career.

After that I decided I needed a new challenge in 2022 and picked Kitano because they had been dropping in and out of WMC for years. I was surprised to see the problems the AI has because that one million base income from the car factory is unbelievably great. Then I saw the AI ruined my championship winning Van Dort with retarded driver and staff changes. Which is a big problem really. I've seen two of the best drivers, De Graaf and Surikov get hired by poo poo backmarker teams and stay there forever. Also I've seen a single Race Engineer work at three different teams pre-season.

Anyway I joined Kitano right when they were delegated to Asia Pacific again and had to rebuild the entire team.
The biggest coup was finding a gem of a driver: Rookie Olga Makarova, age 26.

I put her in the car in the last nine AP races and she was not only on the podium in all nine but won eight of them.
Easy championship, back in WMC for 2023. gently caress yeah.

2023:
Car was dog poo poo, rated eighth and I expected to scrape at the bottom for points. Chose 8th as goal.
Olga dragged the car to THIRD in the championship.

Now, I don't remember if this is the 2023 or 2024 car but it's almost as bad as the livery:

2024:
Chose to be third in championship again; decided to waste the first half of the year to build up the engine to best or second best. Got podiums regularly while Lipponen won six races.
Second half of the year I concentrated on rear wings and won the last seven races straight. I was behind a single point before the last race.

That was a very unexpected championship.

2025: Slightly better car, better result. Aero on car still poo poo.

FWIW, Enriqua Lara is very good. That she is a pay driver is just a bonus; I don't need the money. Just don't hire her in lower leagues because she is a bit greedy.

2026:
I want to switch to a different team, get rejected by all of them, forced to stay at Kitano. Alas, Olga stopped improving. Played two races and decided to start a new game as French engineer with Thorton instead.

But that is a different story of trying to escape the bottom. On that note, different engines need to set a different minimum power so you do not have to spend money during season to get out of having the worst engine on grid.

quote:

Did the parts break or just go redzone if they went redzone, yolo and run them till they turn into slag.

Supposedly red zone means they can fail at any time. Very risky.

quote:

Play as Donald Drumph, Financial Wizard, manager of Dragon Motorsports.

Play 100% in character.

Biggest rear end in a top hat to current drivers.

The real "Drumph" is big on loyalty. You're just an rear end in a top hat, mate.

quote:

I do hope there's a cap to the "new base stat" level though? I started season one with a 9 effectiveness gearbox or something like that. I think I now have something over 200 at the end of the second season. If, given enough time, it can grow infinitely high or to the same cap as the higher leagues then that would completely kill the sense of progression.

Yes, when you get moved to a different tier the base stats are matched so you are competitive.

quote:

All parts are Reliability 35-40%

Yeah, new season parts are very bad. You need to get them to ~75% to last a race. There's some exploit to improve the reliability pre-season. Check one of the steam guides.

VV Please derail a different thread.

Riso fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cojawfee posted:

Should I be spending time building parts? Because it seems like building a part gives me something technically good but it breaks two times per race and I've been doing better with just improving the default parts. I've also lost over a million bucks on an engine that failed scrutineering.

Yes and shockingly enough you have to improve the reliability to avoid problems. Personally I stopped building risky parts because I don't want to be demoted.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Or focus on just that one part ahead of the race. And there are always special abilities to increase reliability.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Q: How do you define a dominant season in the game?
A:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Before moving up a tier you should make sure you have plenty of money around. Unless you are a manufacturer like Kitano it's going to be driving at the back of the field.

Also I really have to say the most important thing in the game is signing a top driver.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's nothing. Idiots voted in points for top five only in my game.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Bentai posted:

Fuckers passed spec engines. Was tied, Ernie Hecklerock voted for spec. :argh:

I just started a game as the Scuderia and that very thing happened to me. On one hand I am happy because I don't have to spend 1.5 mill each time I want a better engine but on the other I am a manufacturer :argh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The AI is so pants on retarded with their driver signings I may have to stop playing the game.

In my most recent Scuderia game, Steinmann didn't retain Chapman because he signed with Windsor instead. Now Steinmann has no competitive driver and Chapman not a competitive car.

I don't rate Holtz because she didn't pose a threat to Wexler last time. At least Panther has kept their top drivers but they are only the third best car on the grid. I also just signed De Graaf who incidentally was dropped by the AI in favour of Flores due to a rivalry with his team mate.

Usually at that point De Graaf is signed by some team who just joined from Asia-Pacific and will stay there for the next ten years driving at the back of the field..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I can't wait until they patch in the workshop.

• Locked thread