Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motorsport Manager a PC version of the well recieved iOS game of the same name. In moving to the PC, it has gained a huge amount of depth and extra features. It fills a void that has long gone unfilled (or inadequately so).

Developers Playsport Games have signed on with Sega to release this game. Sega already have the excellent Football Manager series in their stable and have more recently revived Eastside Hockey Manager with good results. It is understood that FM and EHM developers Sports Interactive have given a hand in the development of this game and indeed some concepts seem quite familiar (Scouting feedback, staff relationships etc).

There are currently three levels of competition. Two regional series (Europe and Asia) that then feed into the Motorsport World Championship. The cars are single-seaters only for now but the rules between each series differ at the start (Cars could be forced to use all the same type of Aero parts for example or an identical engine).
Race strategy is very important and you are often at the mercy of changes to the weather. You need to juggle tyre wear, fuel consumption and potential weather changes in deciding what to do.

Is it just a jumped up iOS game?
Far from it however it is also worth nothing that it doesn't have the depth of Football Manager or Eastside just yet.It is priced accordingly, most places selling for €35 or thereabouts.

As far as games of this type that came before it....it is much deeper.

It has the following:

- Staff Relationships: Drivers need to get on with their race engineers or things won't work out. If there is chemistry there, results improve. Relationships improve over time and provide bonuses.

- Driver Morale: Drivers have personality traits that affect their performance, marketability with sponsors and their relationship with teammates and staff. Sometimes they will bitch and moan about their car not being as good as their teammate's or that they don't get on with their race engineer. Neglect their feelings and they can let sponsors down at events or do stupid poo poo on track. Random events allow you to affect morale or even add character traits to your driver.

- Parts Development: As with all mechanical sports, more money generally = faster/better. This is true in Motorsport Manager but your Chief Designer can also all bonus modifiers if they are talented and you can also choose to skirt the rules and hope that your car passes scrutineering. The more you push it, the more likely your part will be caught. If caught, the part will be automatically banned and punishments include fines and time penalities (so you basically lose race positions).
Each month/race you also need to decide how much money to pour into next year's chassis. The better your budget for next year, the higher the base values for each part will be for starting off.

- Scouting: As usual with any sports management game, one road to success is to find young talent and nuture their talent. They either bring you success on the track or you can hope some team will poach them and buy out their contract, making you some money. Your Talent Scout will assess drivers for you and highlight their current ability, potential ability and character traits (good or bad).

- Politics: As a team director, you are invited to vote on the motorsport council a few times a year. You are asked to decide on possible rules changes for next season (race length, tyre restrictions, banning of certain technologies). This means the three series can evolve in different manners during your game. Other team managers may stop by and try to buy your vote if they really want a motion to pass. You can also abstain from a particular vote and then double up on the next vote if it is in your interest.

- Facilities Development: You must expand your HQ with new facilities (Telemetry/Analytics department, test track, Wind Tunnel etc) and also expand the basic starting ones (Design, Manufacturing). Doing so opens new options for parts or adds modifiers to existing hardware or your staff.

Are mods supported?
Steam Workshop support is coming soon

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The popular moan on the Steam community is that your car for the new season is usually much worse at a base level than the one you have at first.
I put the maximum amount each month for my team and lo and behold my options for the new year were garbage.
I'm convinced there are other variables that lead to it (chief designer maybe?) but the game doesn't explain it very well.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Anyone know how taxing this game is on the graphics card? I'm on a older card, 250 GTS, until I can replace mine that recently blew up. Can You Run It told me I didn't meat the requirements but I find that site is wrong more often than it's not.

I have a creaking mobile graphics card that must be 4-5 years old. It should be fine on the lower settings

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Antti posted:

Is it possible to sell and place advertisements on your cars? :allears:

You have six sponsorship spots on your car. While you can chose the sponsor, the placement is random.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gooses and Geeses posted:

With regards to the new season thing - yes the new options are garbage on the face of it, but someone on the subreddit is saying that the parts you made the previous year become stock, and their performance rating should reflect this. I haven't looked into this myself yet.

That's right. The issue many people are struggling with is that other teams are developing during the season and your ratings are relative to the rest of the field.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is an oval circuit I think? Could be modded in if so

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't bother upgrading parts until you have upgraded your core buildings to level 2 and maybe a telemetry and brake centre. It's a waste of money unless you have awesome staff.
I suppose it's fairly realistic in that respect haha

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It does appear to be bit broken or at least poorly explained

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just realised I started with be near poorest team (BMR) so my struggles are not surprising. Got a podium in my first season and finished 7th out of 12 in constructors.

New car seems to be a bit of a crock and I have no money to improve it. While it's not joyful I am enjoying the fairly real sounding struggle of a low-mid tier team. Facilities are the only thing I should spend money on tbh.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Developers have acknowledged that car progression between seasons is indeed broken and is part of the first patch.

Even without Steam Workshop yet, some people have already assembled pretty decent visual mods. Next step would be to change the car models for other race series :rms:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Obfuscation posted:

Is there a mod for real track names yet

Not sure it could be buried in one of the larger mods a few German guys are putting out there.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:siren: First patch is out! :siren: Also, Linux support...
Some vague mention of new content in the works :rms:

- Improved weather simulation
- Fixed car water spray appearing too early, it now appears when the track is wet enough for inters or wet weather tyres
- Improved blue flag AI
- Improved AI switching to intermediates and wets
- Fixed a standings demotions bug relating to parts being banned
- Fixed an issue where maximum performance was not being taken into consideration on new season car parts
- Fixed initial game car stats
- Fixed a bug where if practice ended with rain, the first screen that showed the race was also raining, even if the weather was sunny
- Fixed an issue where changes to the livery were not reflected in race (still showed the default livery)
- Fixed an issue where cars would repeatedly jump positions in standings without overtaking cars
- Fixed an issue where if a driver won a race, but got demoted due to illegal parts being discovered, the social media still thought they had won.
- Fixed issues with promise traits
- Extra Wide screen support for car design screen
- Fixed incorrect team orders commentary message where driver who is allowing the other to pass actually overtakes the other driver.
- Fixed the triggering of the "Blag Flag" achievement
- Fixed an issue where the safety car would sometimes not return properly to the pit
- Fixed an issue where the celebrity dating trait thread had missing variables
- Fixed instances where the financial graph stopped working
- Fixed an issue where the 5% discount for the player financial background wasn't being taken into account when calculating whether or not the player could afford something
- Fixed an issue where the chairman would expect unrealistic placement targets after a promotion
- Fixed cars clipping underneath the pit floor in Black Sea
- Fixed AI braking sharply when going past a car exiting the pits
- Fixed Drivers giving opposite downforce feedback during practice
- Added a lap counter for selected driver
- Can no longer vote for a new race location if that location already appears twice in the race calendar
- Fixed an issue where the chairman's happiness would decrease even if the race was won
- Fixed an issue where the game music would stop after saving and autosaving
- Removed redundant votes (e.g voting to increase qualifying time even if the series doesn't have qualifying)
- Fixed an issue where the race would not end with two cars in the pitlane
- Fixed multiple game crash bugs

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 23, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Still no Steam Workshop but this guy is on the RaceDepartment forums and has made this mod so far: https://youtu.be/dzR4RjcVugk

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
As in the real world, it's very expensive to polish a turd so if any opportunity comes up to make it less of a turd at the start....take it.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's one thing I don't like...when you get a new part you can only use it on one of the cars

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hotfix for 1.1 nearly ready:

- Refined blue flag car behaviour
- Cars drive off the racing line in qualifying if on an in/out lap
- Re-enabled 4:3 aspect ratio support
- Intro video now skippable after 2 seconds
- Scrutineering screen crash fix

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Base Stat is still the mechanic that needs most work but it's much better than at launch. Must get back into this at the weekend

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My strategy was going long on tyres but at times I was so slow it barely worked

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love the risky part mechanic of this game.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looks like the hotfix is out. There is also a free DLC with new livery designs, some of which look pretty neat

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Resumed my AMR save and due to the development bug my car is total poo poo. Slow is fine but it is also super unreliable. I may restarted anew because I won't last the season otherwise....sacked by AMR...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got my first win with BMR :rms: Not sure how but I held on. One stopped a race and by the end my tyres were hosed and the second placed car was catching me at a rate of 5sec/lap

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't understand why cars that have run out of fuel don't just stop. It's a pain when some races have a few and they just trundle around the track blocking you or costing positions.
I'm also starting to see why people are so mad about the blue flag situation

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My one complaint in relation to the driver market is the small pool of free agents in the first off season. With BMR I am letting Rodgers and Al Sadat go and there is nobody else to sign

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

Upgrade your scouting facilities, it'll give you a bunch of extra drivers to sign.

Yep but there should always be some availability of new talent even if you have basic scouting each off season regardless of your scouting level. Obviously more/better with each level

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

The scouting facility actually gives you drivers that nobody else can get so you should at least have level 1 of it ASAP.

Oh is that so? Just my luck that they are garbage :saddowns:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The more I play this the more I long for workshop support. I've also got the hang of driver progression but it turns out I'm stuck with a really smart driver who can't overtake for poo poo but can sure set up a car

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New patch today with supposed improvements to blue flag AI.

Workshop is due for February

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got hosed out of my first win. Got stuck in a group for four battling back markers who couldn't all let me through at once. Lost 30 seconds in the last four laps then got overtaken in the final lap as the other guy breezed past the backmarkers.

Fffffffffffffff

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When racing as Archer BMR I was kind of counting on those bad decisions haha

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd move up if given the chance again. Depends if your drivers are willing to hang around

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll have to move up to try and keep Balcazar

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Christmas patch has been a big improvement for AI strategy, much to my annoyance :catstare: Was counting on a few low fuels to steal a few points

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone else's drivers have total disaster first laps like....all the time?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

My advice with first laps is to turn up the engine to full power and tell your drivers to go attack everyone like they mean it.

I do but they are just morons it seems. They are decent drivers too but they either lose 3-4 spots per corner or can't get past some slowpoke and let the rest of the field be 10 seconds ahead after two laps :catstare:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

How's their skill in Braking/Overtaking and how good are your brakes in general?

Brakes have 'green' scores so should be average or above, one has a +40 stat during races. As for skills they are 13-15 for overtaking but can't remember braking. It's the ERS so shouldn't be much competition at the back.
It's mostly luck I'm just mad since randomised grids were voted in I've been drawing the short straw at lot in starting position.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay randomised grids was the worst possible thing I could have voted for. 19th and 20th with my title rival in a super fast car starting 2nd and 5th.
A relegated team has come down this season and is brutalising the whole grid

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's great. Game should take off once good Workshop content gets on there

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Workshop content is garbage so far. All the be good mods are still separate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious