Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I can only make it to service once a month now in These Trying Times, I’ve got a list but what am I missing? Going for a bunch of basics, but not sure of what kind of jerky (I love the pork but it’s too sweet, I prefer my jerky as dry as possible)or what kind of microwave/frozen snacks will help the most. Also any arguments for talking my husband into smoked salmon would be helpful; he didn’t believe me when I told him I’d kill a flat of blackberries in an afternoon, so please help him believe in my happiness. Is there any good loaf bread by the bakery?
E: we also need a sweet snack, I will kill or be killed if the only kind of sugar we eat is what I make the next couple months.

Currently living on PB pretzels, send help.

2e: this is the Costco on Clybourn in Chicago; haven’t been there yet this month but will provide an update on supplies and staffing, scout’s honor.

3E, got us baptized at the end of December and the Roni has enforced my good decision ever since.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Schmeichy posted:

I like the packs of bread that are shelf stable and can be baked when wanted, they'll last months on the counter and are almost as good as fresh baked bread.

For a healthy snack, I always keep a bag of those streamable individual edamame bags in my freezer, so good. For sweet stuff, there's a lot to choose from? Get the muffins and freeze the ones you're not eating right away?

Thanks! I always get overwhelmed with the snack choices, so I appreciate it.

Church updates (Chicago/Clybourn): 5 minute wait to get in, they’re also limiting how many people can be in the dairy cooler and produce cooler. Seemed reasonably staffed, only saw two instacart shoppers and around 90% of customers were wearing masks. Also saw a guy with 14 bottles of vodka and some vitamins.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

DNK posted:

fwiw, my global operations strategy professor was saying the TP shortage had very little to do with supply chain failure and everything to do with product/customer alignment.

The immediate and severe demand reduction in “commercial” toilet paper (businesses, restaurants, hotels, etc) put commercial TP manufacturing on hold while domestic TP (plush, five-ply, soft, whatever) was ridiculously under capacity.

Then it became a bit of a self-fulfilling phenomenon where as soon it was hinted that there was a supply shortage, a run on TP began which amplified the manufacturing product/customer mismatch; supply chains had to be rerouted and lower-grade, unbranded TP had to be parceled out from 40-pack boxes into 6-pack shrink and logistics shifted from Sysco to Kroger (etc).

There will probably be a HBR case study about it for future SCO peeps to write papers about.

TP is also really bulky, so if 5 packs of the 10 or 12 they can fit on the shelf when stocking is gone the shelf looks emptier than it actually is, so people assume there’s not much left and panic, etc etc.

Re: maskchat, I did my biweekly grocery shop at two stores yesterday and yelled at 4 people total who weren’t wearing masks (now required indoors in my state). One of them bitched but ultimately put on the mask he had hanging around his neck, two said they just forgot and apologized, and the last one, a white male boomer, first said “I don’t subscribe to that religion” and then when I passed him again (and scolded him again) likened the mask ordinance to Nazi Germany. Cool.

Honestly I’ve been enjoying harassing strangers about their mask usage, I finally get to use my Karen tendencies for good!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Quote is not edit, sorry!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

AKZ posted:

I would be careful doing this.
Thanks for your concern, honestly, but I don’t really mind. If I’m gonna die or suffer injury during corona, I’d rather it be from something like this than the virus itself.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

tangy yet delightful posted:

How are these people even making GBS threads so much? Look I poo poo a lot and a 48 pack from Costco would last my house probably 6 months.

I also poo poo a lot and my household (2 person) still has a six pack plus 4 rolls. We bought it on our first communion 7 months ago.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

I took some photos if someone wants to see Korean Costco:
https://imgur.com/a/BaP00hE

Yo what the gently caress, Churro Cinnamon Toast Crunch? I want iiiiittttt.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

For any other Costco ladies, the $10 Nautica shorts they have right now are tops. Just buy a size smaller than you usually do.

E: just went to exchange the shorts for the correct size and picked up these $25 Champions!

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 26, 2020

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Went to the pharmacy to get my refill of meds-cheaper with Costco prices and the GoodRX coupon (which they apply automatically) than with my poo poo insurance.
Got pesto and a rotisserie- gonna have a pasta feast.
Got the Kirkland brand aged rum for $14- a LOT of vanillin in there, but with soda and hibiscus syrup I am perfectly happy.
Got a mocha freeze (my first! I joined in the winter)- perfect pick me up while waiting for the bus.

PBUC, my brethren. PBUC.

E: forgot to add that for lunch, I had the A’Sha ramen with some Normandy Blend and an egg (and more seasoning) thrown in. A Perfectly Blessed Membership day.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Do you, or does anyone, know if they play the standard gently caress gently caress games with insurance, or will things just be cheaper there? Have a family member just diagnosed with diabetes and is looking at some painful expenses for supplies and insulin. Don't have a ton of experience with pharmacies other than the occasional painkiller and antibiotic, but from what I have seen prices appear to be largely made up when insurance is involved, I'm wondering if their retail prices are cheaper if their prices with insurance will also be cheaper.

I think there’s something, legally, about their being a wholesaler that keeps their prices down, and that goes double with generics. If I was on the low level of insurance that I can afford, all name brand drugs, and was going to, like, CVS, I would’ve paid anywhere between 150 and 700 dollars for the month on top of my premiums; the ‘co was $23 for all three meds, with coupons they just looked up for me.
Diabetes-wise, I have heard from a lot of people that their physical supplies (eg, needles/resting strips/testing units) are about as cheap as can be without ordering from a sketchy Chinese site, and the pharmacy is good at gaming the insurance code situation in the long run for chronic problems. Sorry about your family member’s problems! Hope they get better.
(Also you don’t need a membership to go to the pharmacy, assuming you’re US! Honestly, I joined because (on the advice of this thread) I was already using the pharmacy and kept seeing things I wanted to buy on my way in)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Man these shrimp chips are real good. So buttery

Plz show me these shrimp chips. I need them and I’m terrible at finding things in the snack aisle.
I haven’t seen them carrying any cocoa powder in a while, what’s up with that? I bought a bag on my inaugural shop last year and haven’t seen it since, and it was genuinely the best cocoa powder I’ve used, even in professional kitchens. The brand name is Rodelle. Thank god I wrote down the brownie recipe on the back!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

What’s the added benefit of the business membership? The only business center near me appears to be closed, and my friend/the owner of the restaurant I work at is about to take the plunge.

Another successful convert by evangelizing for the ‘co. PBUC

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Bibliotechno Music posted:

What’s the added benefit of the business membership? The only business center near me appears to be closed, and my friend/the owner of the restaurant I work at is about to take the plunge.

Another successful convert by evangelizing for the ‘co. PBUC

Just gonna quote myself for daycrew.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

pretty sure you can get into the business center with just a normal membership, if you wish to purchase Industrial Quantities of meat or giant rolls of lovely 1-ply butthole-scratching sandpaper. It looks like the business membership is just set up for handling the tax implications of resale.

Thank you!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

redreader posted:

Is it possible to freeze steaks without loving them up, if you don't have a vacuum sealer? We have large and small ziploc bags.

You can just use Saran/plastic wrap, as long as you do it properly. Lay the wrap out on the counter first, then the meat on top of it, and use the weight of the meat with the tension of the wrap to seal everything tightly. You want to do this once or twice in each direction, but it works a charm. I rely on it personally and professionally and I’ve never noticed a problem (but I’ve also never frozen anything longer than 3 or 4 months, so ymmv depending on your usage). The technique is called cater-wrapping, I’m sure there’s a YouTube or two on it.
As a note, the extra-wide extra-thick plastic wrap sold at the ‘co is perfect for this usage. As always, PBUC.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

It does lose a little bit but the bigger problem is the pre-peeled garlic industry (i.e. christopher ranch and like in particular are gross fronts) basically use chinese prison labor rubbing their fingers down to the bone until they bleed peeling garlic for like 3 cents an hour. its a time-consuming process so thats why prison labor is used and then exported. even ones like "grown in california" on the label don't mean anything since the whole labelling system is a sham. If you have Netflix, Rotten series has a good episode on this as well.

what I would suggest is using a chef knife laying it flat and "mashing" garlic cloves by slamming down on it which breaks it up and makes it very easy to peel, from where you can either mince, chop, or just use it like that.

Oh drat, I had no idea about that! That sucks big time, I’ve used Christopher Ranch a lot professionally and I’ve always found it to be really nice quality. I’ll have to check the source on the stuff I use now at my current restaurant. Isn’t Costco currently in the process of divesting from slave/prison labor though? Last I checked the “our mission/ethics” page of their website they were talking about it; obviously it will take some time to go down every single supply chain for every single vendor, but my impression was that it’s a priority for them.

Also re: those dark chocolate sea salt caramels, I’m the same way. I bought a tub like two weeks ago and was never able to eat fewer than six in a sitting, so they were gone a week after I bought them and I want more but I cannot allow myself to buy them for another month. It’s stupid how much I love them, my husband ate like 5 total and I just DEMOLISHED the rest.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Xaris posted:

I don't actually know what Costco carries, the one they sell might be fine? Christopher Ranch is a very big conglomerate and works with Harmoni/Golden Lion and other importers a lot, but also may sell stuff that isn't? There;'s also a whole lot of weird infighting all around in the industry of domestic and foreign imports and a big cloud of secrecy, fake-fronts and looping shells, almost no regulation (or toothless), and trying to up their profits any way possible. But if it's too cheap to be true, I wouldn't trust it all. Like I said, perfectly peeling garlic by hand is stupidly laborious, can't be automated, really can't be done wearing gloves and miserable work to do day in and day out, and there's pretty much no way a giant 1lb jar of it for <$5 isn't coming from prison labor wearing their nails down to the nub. But probably a 8oz jar for $10 isn't.

I’ve definitely seen Christopher Ranch at Costco. I’ve gotten Pearl River before at various restaurants and those are suspiciously clean and shiny, so there’s clearly a chemical component to that peeling process.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

My husband and I just now got our shots at Costco! I had to go to the pharmacy anyway, so I just checked in with them, filled out our forms and got an approximate wait time, finished the shopping, and came back about 25 minutes later. We had to wait about 5 minutes once we got there, but then we were in and out pretty quick. Still kinda salty that the guy who vaccinated me didn’t offer me one of the little kids party favors he had on the desk. Those plastic clackers looked fun!

We also picked up the Shark Navigator that’s on sale this month, $124.99. Our apartment is mostly fake wood vinyl covering, but the bedroom and office are carpeted. We’re also gonna try out some of the attachments to clean the couch and our upholstered chair of beagle fur and basic wear-and-tear staining.

Also ended up buying new cutlery so we could finally throw out the lovely Kmart set I bought for my first dorm room. A Good Impulse Purchase (and $30 for a 4-piece Mikasa set!)

As always, PBUC.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

$600...huh.

I gotta say, that spiced rum is truly terrible. Sickly sweet and mostly tastes of fake vanilla. I remember that the tequila was pretty good for its price point though! I bought a bottle of the bourbon for my kitchen staff for Christmas last year and it went over pretty well...but they are line cooks, so they’ll drink anything.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Cheese storage chat! My husband is actually a professional cheesemonger, and we use these: https://www.formaticum.com/products/cheese-storage-bags
Reusable and they work like a charm. We cut off a usable hunk of our cheese of choice, put it in a bag, and wrap the rest of it tightly, keep both in the coldest part of the fridge. I’ve had maybe two pieces of cheese get moldy in 8 years now. Worst case scenario is it drying out after being lost all the way in the back for 8 weeks.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm incredibly spoiled when it comes to cheese. I'm in Wisconsin and have a literal cheese castle about 10 minutes from me. Tillamook is good poo poo. When I lived in Washington and could afford it that'd be my go to. I drove down to their factory maybe 12 years ago and they had the freshest cheese curds I've ever had. It was glorious.

Mars Cheese Castle! I’m in Chicago, so every time I go up north the Castle is my favorite roadstop.

Also my Costco has a truly amazing high-end cheese selection. Anyone who goes to the Damen/Clybourn store here, all the artisan stuff is on the left side of the dairy cooler, by the paneer.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

So I bought the big dog bed for my medium-size beagle yesterday, and she loves it! I really like that the pillow is removable and all the covers zip off for washing. HOWEVER I just noticed that the dog bed is about to go on sale! Isn’t there something where you can get a refund for the price difference if you bought it just before the next sales cycle? I seem to remember seeing something about that way earlier in the thread.

E: dog tax! (On imgur because phoneposting)

https://imgur.com/a/zf6GHK0

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 27, 2021

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

thathonkey posted:

whats the sale price? ive been eyeing those but i dont like to spend more than 40-50 on a dog bed

$40, I paid $60. I usually wouldn’t spend that much either, but honestly my dog is gross and the washability is worth it.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I’m also bipolar, plus add (diagnosed before both kinds got umbrella’d under two types of adhd!!) and in therapy and a smoker for nearly half my life now and approaching a pot of coffee a day and I’m here to say PtF is doing just fine! There are of course best practices we should all strive for, but drinking too much coffee is LITERALLY the best chemical coping mechanism we (us) can hope for, when you consider that most of the other chemical coping mechanisms (not actual meds) are destructive addictions. Also Penny you are an excellent poster all around, happy to know we share and handle similar brain problems!

On that note I have to say that Costco may actually have saved my life...I lost my job and insurance not long after I tithed to the church, and I was in despair. Lo, I looked to the ‘Co and His prophet, GoodRX, and my psychiatric medication rained down as manna. (I take 4 meds multiple times per day, and Costco+GoodRX saves me literally, actually, $500 per month at a minimum; I’m uninsured and could easily be paying $600 rather than the $50 I pay now). I’ve stopped taking meds before because they were too expensive, or my pharmacist was a dick about it, or my brains were just acting up and telling me I was fine; that hasn’t happened ONCE since I joined the church, because even if I stop wanting to take my meds, I never stop wanting to go to Costco.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Had a lovely time at church yesterday! Brought my $1.50 1/4 lb+ communion home with me so I could use my good mustard and homemade kraut, it ruled even though the bun got a little smushed.

Good news 1) between Costco prices and GoodRX, a month’s worth of the three meds and three supplements I take every day was about $60, which is about $150 cheaper than the CVS around the corner when I had lovely insurance and was not yet a parishioner.

Good news 2) I finally found the milk tea boba bars! I usually don’t really like the tapioca itself, but I bought them based on the recommendation of this thread and they are sooooo goooooood.

BAD NEWS!!! They were completely out of the knockoff Birkenstocks! I’m gonna make a small trip at some point this coming week, anyone know what day a re-stocking is likely to happen? Or am I just SOL?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Fellow macadamians, rise up!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

canyoneer posted:

There was an extremely funny reddit post someone shared in the bad with money thread where the guy was having trouble budgeting, and ate ribeyes twice a week and bought a ridiculously expensive pro-sumer meat slicer to "save money" by slicing his own. Someone did the math on it and it was breaking even in like, 8+ years.

Can’t find it, but I remember that! IIRC he spent like a large portion of what would’ve been their Christmas money on it. He was also a fisherman so he would be out on the boats for several weeks at a time, and didn’t understand why his wife was upset about the slicer since she could use it while he’s away.

I really want a whole goat, a former chef of mine showed us all how to break one down years ago and I’ve never had occasion to try it since. Alas, I don’t drive and the only business center around is way way out in the burbs :(

Luckily goatchat reminded me that I can go to one of the Greek or Mexican/South American warehouse butchers downtown and special order one.

I’m gonna roast a goat this summer. It is decided.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Went to church today to pick up my meds (Costco prices plus GoodRX saves me like $150/month holy poo poo) and got a pepperoni slice and a mocha freeze to eat outside before biking home. On my way out, I noticed something hanging on the door near the manager’s station:

Bought it on the spot, $20 cash donation. A truly blessed visit, PBUC.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Honestly if they put a refill-friendly soup tap in next to the pop, I would be a happy lady.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Only a quick service today, rode my bike up there with Mr Music to pick up my meds and take communion. 1/4 lb+, pop, chicken bake, and a fruit smoothie (first time, better than I expected!). A short but satisfying experience, PBUC.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Geodude posted:

That's insane to me. Our Costco has an outdoor food court too but they don't ask (yet). Or maybe they assume I have a membership and only ask people who don't look the part? I hate to say it like that, but here's my reasoning:

We also have a huge homeless population that is housed near a river close to this Costco. So a lot of them will come up and buy like 20 hot dogs for their buddies and bring them back to their camps.

New Question: Has Costco ever sold A-Shirt undershirts? I hate crew neck undershirts but it's all they sell.

Re:undershirts, I look every time but they simply don’t seem to exist. I love 32degree products, I just don’t understand it! The closest option seems to be sports bras for moms and that ain’t it kid.

Re: unhoused people using the food court, it’s a real bummer that your church has made it inaccessible for them. It would actually be really awesome if someone got, like, an executive account for a stable member of the camp or put a generic-looking camp resident on the 2nd card so they could use it. It might be better in the long term to buy an account for an appropriate charity, but honestly access to communion whenever needed would be a huge mood booster for the population I bet.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Bath towels and pillows go on sale tomorrow! Haven’t gotten new of either in like 5 years, so I am PUMPED for new levels of plushness in my life.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Armauk posted:

Imagine having to work in retail.

Imagine never having had to work in retail. Alt reply, lol imagine not having Enrique work your low wage often-demeaning job for you.

Honestly though, I think everyone should have to work service or retail for a year. Like compulsory military service, but for empathy rather than nationalism.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

And not just any relish, but dyed neon green relish.

Celery salt is visible at least, but those onions look cooked and it’s missing the sport peppers. Come on, Wikipedia!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Like giardiniera, they are indeed almost impossible to find outside of the greater Chicagoland area. My MIL on the east coast looked for ages and never found them, despite living in a heavily Italian county.

E: editing so I remember to get and take a pic of one of the massive jars of giardiniera they sell at my church. I’ll look for sport peppers too!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I am all about this polish carbonated mineral water they sell at my ‘co, Nałęczowianka. Giant 1.5 liter bottles in a six pack for 5 bucks. I hate drinking regular water, so I struggle to stay hydrated, and these absolutely hit the spot. I buy two of the six packs whenever I go to church and try to drink a whole one every day, it’s been really helpful for getting my add brain to develop good habits.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I luckily live in a city with a huge polish population, so I rarely buy the same mustard twice and they are all excellent. HOWEVER, it’s super easy to make your own mustard! My go-to recipe:

2 parts dried yellow mustard seeds
1 part black mustard seeds
Enough apple cider vinegar to cover plus about 1/3 by volume (ex: 4 cups yellow mustard seeds, 2 cups black, and then enough apple cider vinegar to fill the container to the 8 cup mark)

Let sit 24 hours, adding more vinegar if the seeds absorb it all. Blend a couple ounces at a time (it gets REAL thick REAL quick, so it can jam up your blender pretty easily). Once blended, add a little olive oil and season to taste with salt and honey.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

You make 8 cups of mustard at a time?

It gets a bit finicky and inconsistent in smaller amounts, and I can’t think of anything that keeps better than mustard :shrug: Also I’m a professional cook, so this is scaled down from a two gallon batch lol.

Real pro tip: buy some Colman’s Mustard Powder and follow the directions on the tin, and then add horseradish :getin:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

It takes me like 3+ months to get through a regular sized bottle of mustard. All I use it on is sandwiches.

I think I need to use it more.

Put it in all your marinades. Smother a pork loin or chicken carcass in it before cooking. Rub it on your face at night as a toner. Most importantly, bring it to communion and baptize your 1/4 lb+ dog with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Honey mustard is good on a soft pretzel. It has no other uses, except chicken tendies when I’m drunk.

FTFY

But for real, yellow mustard is a good ingredient and a terrible condiment.