Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Re: puma socks

I bought the black ones to use as dress socks and most of mine have holes now. Time to buy more and donate any still around in good shape.
I buy socks all at once, so that I only ever have two sets of socks... athletic ankle socks and calf length dress socks. I keep them separate. I hate looking for matching socks if you can’t tell.

Any recommendations for men’s dress socks currently or is there only one choice at the Costco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Can someone point me to (or post) a list of all the Costco tricks? Like the price/asterisk thing... what day they rotate stock... when sales start... that kind of thing? It would be good to have in the thread I think.

Maybe Chinatown could add it to the op even so people can go back and reference it.

I now live across the street from Costco. Like, it would take longer to drive there than it does to walk. I feel very blessed. I can literally go every day if I want to, but I’d rather go when I know something new is going to be put out or the prices change/sales happen.

Can the congregation point me to the proper scriptures please?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

That was quick
Thanks very much

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Shaman Linavi posted:

Picked up a electric hight adjustable desk at the 'co, can't wait to set that bad boy up for work from home days

Omg, we saw that on sale and it looked AWESOME.

Any chance you can give a trip report before it goes off sale in 2 days?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah ours doesn’t care about checking cards of people coming in that much...

I’m gonna want to make a batch of sour kraut and sausage and mine has garlic and jalapeño sausage plus the sour kraut... can’t wait to try it! It’s not true kielbasa but I hardly ever do that anymore

As far as food court goes, dog (with refill) and a churro is the most true order, although people who stray are still accepted with open arms :)

Pizza is for taking out and since we live right next door, it’s the only pizza we ever get now

I’m dying for that adjustable elevated (elevating?) desk to go on sale again... now that I know the sale price it’s tough to justify buying it at regular price :(

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Noslo posted:

Do you know how much you saw that for? Those things are a hot commodity in my office.

Like, coworkers have had falling outs over who called dibs first when someone quits. A few people even used part of their christmas bonus even to buy one for themselves.

They were $299 last time I saw them. The sale I saw, they were $199

Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So the loveSacs are at my local Costco. Wife and I have wanted one for the last 3 years and have the $ this year.

Any trip reports from people in this thread? I’m thinking of long term use issues...

Did it hold up?

Did you regret it?

Do you still use it?

We want the largest one and to put it in the study

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

david_a posted:

Mine had two self-checkout lanes for a while, but the reason they got rid of them was that the loss was too high (IE people stole stuff,
Intentionally or otherwise). I’m not sure there was actually a difference in speed.

Ours did as well years ago, just converted normal lanes to self-checkout. Then they got rid of them for a few years.

Ours got them back about 6 months ago and it’s a totally different design. 6 checkout areas in two lines side by side with space in the middle, 3 one each side.

It’s highly variable, but I think they move a lot quicker this way. There’s always someone there to help people who are having trouble or moving slowly and they can bounce back and forth pretty easily. It’s also on a side of the store where a lot of workers congregate so there is always someone to jump in and help. Still variable, but I’ve seen lines backed up 50 feet clear out surprisingly fast, fwiw

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I finally started using the app as my membership card. How awesome is that thing?
Too bad you can’t use it at the gas station yet. At least at our Costco

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I spoke with a friend of mine who deals with huge industrial paper equipment. He told me he’s in talks to get some more equipment with the main supplier of Kirkland brand for TP. There plant is in Canada and they are producing as fast as they can.

Lot of ramping up production of cardboard for packaging and shipping boxes right now as well.

Just an FYI for the thread :)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Minto Took posted:

If you haven't, read a Paul Prudhomme cookbook. :v:

Made his Cajun meatloaf last night with beef from Costco. If you haven’t tried it, you should. It’s a family favorite for us

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Anything above 60 or 65 is overkill for 95% of living rooms.

I don’t think that’s true for 4K

We have the m658g1 and we like it. We paid more than that last year lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

BONGHITZ posted:

Take off the glasses, bingo bongo so simple.

I wear glasses now and am able to see well enough to take them off, but I was thinking: don’t scuba people say to spit in your scuba mask to prevent it fogging up? At least they used to.

Wonder if that works in this instance

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Just chiming in to say that KitchenAid mixers are great. I have my grandparents old one that is from the 50’s and it works just as well as it did when I was a kid. One thing worth mentioning is that there are attachments for it that work great for slicing, grinding and shredding.
In fact, that’s our main use for it... shredding cheese.
We have the old style all cast aluminum original attachments, but I’m certain that if we bought some new ones they would fit.

They really are worth the money

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’ve never even heard of a “J”-bone

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Filet Oskar

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

that is a loving deal

they just made me renew when I was checking out at the co even though I thought I was on family plan. I wonder if this can be activated later?

You just renewed the family plan. I was on my parents for a long time and because I went more than they did, I always ended up being the one paying for the membership, lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

why don't you just microwave it and then finish it with a dunk in the toilet

Dick with big bird

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Does anyone have experience with the gamer chair they have for sale?

this one

I’ve got a couple of Herman Miller Aerons but sometimes I just want a chair I can lean back in with my head supported you know? Will this scratch that itch at all without being a complete waste of money?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Pennywise the Frown posted:

What makes that chair specifically for gamers?

The marketing :)

And I’m not sure how I’d go about getting a headrest for either of my aerons... They are awesome chairs, but I think they’d look hella goofy with a bolted on headrest

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

My dumbass friend bought one of those. It's uncomfortable as poo poo

I will learn from the dumbass, and in that way only, will I be smarter.

I thought to myself, “I am wiser than this man; for neither of us really knows anything fine and good, but this man thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas I, as I do not know anything, do not think I do either. I seem, then, in just this little thing to be wiser than this man at any rate, that what I do not know I do not think I know either.” - Plato... before he was killed in his gaming chair, afaik

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Thanks for this... I watched the entire thing and it was worthwhile.

Thanks thread!
I promise not to buy the gaming chair. I will work harder to find better alternatives.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

how the hell do you wind up with "a couple" aerons?

gimme one

I am the luckiest man alive. Our office is stocked with them and when we downsized, they said we could grab them before the liquidators got there. I was able to smoooosh 3 into my Honda Accord.
One for me, one for the wife and one for the kiddo.

We use the crap out of them. All vintage 2004 and still look absolutely new.

Whoever mentioned getting a headrest for my existing chair, thank you. I looked again and they aren’t nearly as goofy as I remember:
amazon link
It costs as much as an actual chair, lol

It’ll be here Friday, along with a bunch of replacement foam pieces that have absolutely disintegrated on ours.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I’ll bet the steelcase is awesome too. Supposedly at least one of the reasons the Aerons are so popular is because they come shipped in a huge box fully assembled. Just roll it out and sit down. No need to have people onsite building them... of course I’m sure that adds to the cost.

Generator chat: is it an inverter type or “gen-set”? I always wanted a generator but live in an apartment now so it would be stupid. One day...

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

tango alpha delta posted:

It's a regular non inverted generator that can use gasoline, propane tanks or a direct natural gas line for fuel. Because I've run all my electronics on UPS' for years, the inversion feature wasn't that important for me.

Generators need a lot of ventilation, which is why it's a good idea to build a permanent outdoor enclosure if the generator is meant as a backup power source for your home. I honestly have no idea how you'd do that for an apartment.

Nice, running through a UPS makes good sense.

And when I said one day, I meant when I get a house or something. You’re right that an apartment wouldn’t be a good place for one lol

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

A1 is good on everything except desserts... but a good steak doesn’t need it

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

We’re all in on dyson since our current one has done a great job for like 20 years... but we just bought the v11 torque drive... there’s only one model (outsize) more expensive lol.
I’ll try to remember to post a trip report when it arrives.
e: we looked for it at Costco but they don’t sell it yet. Bought it from Best Buy

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Ha! We’re the exception that proves the rule. We live across the street from Costco, but a Home Depot and Sam’s is down the street maybe two miles away, so we are a Costco/Home Depot family

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Renegret posted:

Also the better routers tend to be just plain old routers without a modem attached anyway. You get more options, better performance, and more control by buying separate.

You don't need to go crazy with a modem. Buy something labeled DOCSIS 3.1 and you'll basically be good to go for the foreseeable future, it's more likely that the modem will poo poo itself before it becomes obsolete. Only catch is, some ISPs will restrict you to specific models, so it's probably a good idea to check that first.

To add to this, I bought the current netgear modem available from Costco. I have gigabit Comcast internet and it’s worked flawlessly. Would recommend. I have UniFi equipment on my side of it if that matters and it’s all worked really well

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

BeAuMaN posted:

I went to Costco today, ordered two hot dogs. They tried to tell me that I could only have one mustard cup per hot dog. The mustard cups are barely half filled. I told them I usually get two per hot dog, and to meet me half way, and so he gave me a third mustard and said "Fine I'll risk losing my job".

So first off, that guy was being a jerk, but he's not the problem. It's probably a tough day at work.

It's a Sunday. Costco is busy, and I imagine the workers don't have a lot of spare time with all that Sunday traffic. However, this is an inherent weakness in Costco trying to use their current mustard supplies by using labor to make mustard cups, and then someone in management had the bright idea that if they run low on mustard cups that the solution is to ration them; TO METER THE MUSTARD... instead of, I don't know, grabbing a box of mustard packets off the shelf that they sell to other local businesses. Look it's COVID so I'm willing to go with these mustard cups and wastefully grab a plastic knife and spread that mustard on my hot dog, but one of the last drat comforts that I look forward to in this hellscape is a Costco Hot Dog for $1.50 with mustard and I will not budge any further on the amount of mustard. To borrow from Jim Sinegal's famous hot dog quote: "If you reduce the amount of effing mustard, I will kill you"*

Also that location's soda really sucks. That's my Costco story. I really like mustard; they know my mustard count at Wienerschnitzel. I look forward to post-covid where I can slam down that condiment dispenser without a care in the world.

* Mods this isn't a death threat plz don't ban me thanks.

This is unironically a good post... speak truth to mustard friend. You should leave a comment card calling out the crappy policy the manager has put in place. Let the mustard flow

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Pizza pizza!

I like little caesars

But I live across from Costco and I like it too, so with one exception, I haven’t ordered pizza from anywhere else in 3 years

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Is there a schedule to when Costco will promote/discount memberships? A family member will be signing up for a new exec membership and I want to advise them when the best time to do it in the next 2 months is. Like the bag giveaways, or discounts or whatever. Thx!

And I already know that a Costco membership is it’s own reward ;)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

I think I could dig up the coupon I got through my previous employer's generic benefits email(hell yeah they never took me off the mailing list :getin:) if you'd like. It's nothing huge, I think you just get a $30 Costco gift card, but happy to share the generic code if anybody wants it!

That is insanely thoughtful... how about giving it to someone new or on the fence about going to the church? This family is already on board :) I just want them to get a cool bag or something ;)

Again, thx so much for the offer

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Watch out for counterfeits... I got a new pair of Levi’s off of Amazon and they split the first day. Looked and felt real enough to me

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

shame on an IGA posted:

godspeed, I was fine for the first 6-8 hours and then woke up at 4:00 the next afternoon after many vivid fever dreams about several former illinois governors fighting a crack team of ninjas trying to stop them selling the toll road infrastructure to foreign pension funds

A++ vax, would dose again recreationally
:eyepop:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Just bought my wife the Tresanti(?) desk that has a motor to adjust it from sitting to standing and a built in wireless charger. That makes 2 We’ve gotten and we loooooove them. If you’re on the fence, grab one.

We paid $249.99 for this one, snagged mine on sale for $199.99. I would have probably paid twice that

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

So what’s the top tier membership in terms of cash back? We have a membership but want to up our game since we live right next to Costco. Should we get the credit card or do we not have to?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Aren’t they horizontally integrated where they own a bunch of chicken ranches?

There’s a probably untrue story about Sun Microsystems giving all of its employees turkeys for thanksgiving and it becoming untenable as they grew, so to cut costs they bought a turkey ranch

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, there’s no way they affect you for 2 years… I’ve heard 3 months. They just want to make sure you aren’t going crazy and opening a bunch of poo poo that messes up your earnings to debt ratio. Hard pulls without a corresponding account opening are pretty much meaningless

Seconding credit karma though. It feels weird and spammy, but it did help me out when I was rebuilding my credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

100% depends on the person working the self-checkout. I’ve had them be obtrusive before for some reason when I obviously know what I’m doing. It can be weird, especially during the more covid-y before-times