Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chicken melts are pretty gross, I'd stick with the pizza and hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I make up the difference in cheap gas prices while idling in line for the pump.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Protip: bring your own jars and walk out with massive amounts of hotdog fixings. They charge you for the 'dog, not the fixings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTiEQB67HOs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

let it mellow posted:

Costco mostly owns but I heard good things about the Kirkland beer so I bought some, it wasn't very good and apparently that varies based on your region

I thought the Kirkland Bourbon was good, but then after I bought it one time I realized that I was already drunk before I tasted it the first time. Its not good and overpriced.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Their knockoff outdoor clothing is pretty good. Softshell jackets and puffer coats are pretty much identical to Colombia and North Face.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol if you're not executive

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I tried buying a car through Costco, the prices were okay but not great. I ended up going the traditional route of having a friend of a friend hook me up at the dealership. Probably wouldn't attempt again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The only person I know with an expensive watch is my rich uncle, and my aunt bought it for him as a gift with his own money since she doesn't have a job.

You literally need to have enough money that you don't care if family members just drop thousands of your own money on jewelry.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dely Apple posted:

Waiting for the 3 meter tall teddy bears to return for xmas. How people get those home is beyond me.

These have been at my costco for a few months

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

My mother once bought one of those giant industrial kitchen sized rolls of saran wrap, with the built in cutter.

It lasted 11 years.

I used to use those when I made hoagies for a living. They're the best, thinking of getting one for the house.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anderron Shi posted:

Can us nonmembers get more of you members to go and take cool pics of costco and their products more often? Sort of lacking on the pics this thread.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sometimes I go to the regular grocery store because it's closer and have deep guilt for not taking full advantage of my Costco membership.

But I just bought a 7 cu ft chest freezer, so it's on.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pick posted:

Like most stores, Trader Joe's has some good deals to get you in the door, and some bad deals to take your money. As noted, the produce is terrible. But their frozen vegetables (like leeks) are great.

You just shop at a combo of stores and buy the best deals at each (adjusting for quality). e.g.

Trader Joe's for cheese and frozen berries
Winco for spices and bulk oatmeal
Fred Meyer for saltines
Safeway for meat
Costco for potatoes

Trader Joe's - cheese, coffee, junk food
Costco - meat, toilet paper, eggs, avocados, household items
Ralph's - meat, vegetables, occasional good liquor on clearance for some reason
Persian Market - vegetables, herbs, mexican beef, single chicken breasts that are somehow 2lbs each
Smart and Final - beer, oh poo poo I forgot something and I don't want to drive far

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco gas should be 24 hour.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Did you draw this?

That image has to be well over 10 years old.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco has great steaks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

this is a great introduction to america for foreigners

Interestingly most of the people shopping at my Costco are foreigners.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

is that for one person cause that's like 15k calories assuming a diet drink

Not today, but I have eaten this myself before.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol if you think cooking is some kind of art full of opinions and free spirits. Art doesn't exist. It's all hard science, and the best are so especially skilled and drilled in the rules that they can make fools think art is happening.

Like you think the dude wrapping his polish up in his pizza slice is some fatlord savant, but he's hitting all the basic rules of culinary excellence.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

grellgraxer posted:

Anyone bought a car through Costco recently? Can you get a significantly better deal than normal dealership bargaining?

Depends on the make and model , but usually you can get a better price if you're a shrewd negotiator. it's a decent price though if you do not want to negotiate.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

At my nephews' birthday. All snacks and beer provided by Costco. They just brought in 6 Costco pizzas. Amazing party.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also sitting on a Costco sofa. Would sit again.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There are 6 Costco's within 15 minutes radius of me. That's 30 minutes driving end to end. A veritable free food samples buffet.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Haverchuck posted:

if theres that many costcos near you then you live in an area with incredible population density, likely in the northeast and you are not travelling to 6 different anything in a half hour

SoCal. Costcos I am referencing are from San Juan Capistrano to Tustin. It would be a challenge during the time they are serving the samples.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

It's better than that, it's like 4% on gas everywhere, 3% on restaurants, and 2% at Costco.

And 1% on everything else.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

For travel and restaurants you should really be using the Chase Sapphire Reserve though....

I was using Sapphire Preferred for a few years. I ran the numbers, even with the Chase points being worth an extra 25% when booking travel, I should get at least the same or more in direct cash if I run everything through the Costco card.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I put super in my turbo car at Costco and it's cheaper than buying regular elsewhere.

It can take regular but it detunes the engine by 10 or 15 HP or some weak rear end poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Considering Kirkland Signature sunglasses. Please advise.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Costco credit card, it's good.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I went to Costco last night, might go again tomorrow.

I switched from Irvine to Laguna Niguel. Very positive move. This one is not nearly as crowded, and never a line for gas.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Xaris posted:

Lucky, they're remodelling or doing some construction work at the gas station for my costco , which was already gigantically busy as poo poo store and has to be a top 10 for busy-ness already, and now the gas line is loving retarded and loops all the way around the street almost to the other entrance. i've basically just paying an extra quarter/gal at a local corner gas station than wait easily 30+ minutes to save maybe $2

I wish they would build a second one nearby, there's plenty of demand to keep 2 super busy all the time. I don't go as much as I used to because even showing at up 9:20am on a saturday it's already packed as gently caress before the doors even open now a days.

also i bought some jerky from costco called chefs cut or something, it's garbage. it's like gummy-consistency and has poo poo sweet flavoring. how do you gently caress up jerky??

They close off half the parking lot at Irvine for the gas line during rush hour. Its insane. I've never been more than two cars back at this other one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

The kirkland signature blue cheese was/is creamy garbage. Pointless!

I bought some two weeks ago, not a fan. Would be good to make blue cheese dressing with. But not that great to eat on its own.

They had some English Coastal Cheddar that was fantastic though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You can't make just the top. You have to remove the top from a whole muffin. Not sure what they're doing with the stumps.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Been using Kirkland Baby Wipes on my baby for 6 months. No rashes.

My nephews used them their whole diaper careers. No issues there.

I've used them on my hands after changing the baby, on my face after a meal on the go, and on my dick after banging my wife. Everything is clean and clear.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Costco has individually wrapped frozen chicken breasts for $19 for a 6(.5?)lb bag.

Their frozen tubes of ground beef are legit. Not overground or too mushed together. The other day, I defrosted a tube, sliced it up into quarters, took the plastic off, and just flattened them down into burgers.

shoophobo posted:

My mom signed up for the new BJ's that is opening soon and added me on her membership. I got the card yesterday. I guess in exchange for letting her piggyback on my Costco membership:(Dat executive membership cash)
I am a devout Costco man but the free membership and the promotional 10¢ off a gallon is tempting me to check it out when it opens.

Bro, get the Costco credit card - its 4% off gas anywhere.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Costco started selling fruit smoothies at the counter with the dogs

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

Ok so I'm trying to justify the cost of just owning up and buying my own drat membership. The thing is, meat and cheeses and produce are great but it's just me and my wife and even supermarket produce has a tendency to go bad because we wait too long. So I'm trying to compile a list of non-perishables that justify the membership cost. So far I've got:

-Frozen veggies & chicken for stir fries
-Paper towels/TP/Kitchen wipes
-Bar and hand soap
-Laundry detergent
-Those microwave veggie bowls
-Olive oil

Any other major items worth stocking up on?

Gasoline is like $0.10-$0.30 cents per gallon cheaper, depending on where your Costco is at. Then double down with the Costco Credit Card for an additional 4% cash back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Meydey posted:

They even sell the chest freezers

Yeah, this might get me banned from the thread, but certain items aren't cheaper at Costco. I got a chest freezer on sale at Best Buy for about $100 less than Costco.