Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I got my wife's rings from Costco. They can be returned anytime as long as the ring hasn't been resized (such as if the stone gets damaged). I know a few years ago there was a procedure where you could rack up crazy rewards since Costco used to issue checks for refunds for orders over several thousand dollars instead of processing it as a return to the credit card company. So you could buy a $10,000 ring, return it the same day, then use the check to pay the bill and pocket the reward miles.

I used to date a different girl who worked at Costco, and she showed me one trick I don't think I've ever seen posted before -- you can order food from the cashier when you are checking out at the main shopping area. So you don't have to wait in line for the dog - just ask them to put it on the order and then take your receipt over to the food counter and they should give you what you ordered. I've only used it at the store she worked at with her, so it might only work if you know the cashier ringing you up. PBUC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

My faith in the church has been shaken, friends. I was out of protein powder, and the 'co had a big ol' tub on sale. This kind:

How bad could it be?

It's loving disgusting. And instead of being white like most vanilla protein powder comes out, it was an incredibly unsettling shade of baby-poop green once I added my almond milk.

I have 25 servings left, and by God I will power through them somehow. I should probably try doctoring it by tossing in a banana or peanut butter powder.
They stopped carrying the Kirkland muscle-milk collaboration from a few years ago. That was the best protein powder in terms of protein : sugar wrt. taste. The optimum nutrition chocolate is pretty good but a little more expensive. Its 30g protein : 3g carbs (1g sugar) : 1g fat and the taste is good with almond milk.

https://www.costco.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Performance-Whey-Isolate-Protein%2C-4-pounds.product.100084897.html

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I went to book a car and the price Costco had was about $100 more than what kayak.com had - any benefits to Costco rental vs on kayak?

I just rented a car for a trip out of Boston. Costco at the airport was more expensive than other sites at the airport, but Costco at rental agencies downtown were cheaper than anything else. Try looking at different locations. Other than that, 2% cash back if you are executive and the free 2nd driver as mentioned above.

I will say this about 'co travel: if you are trying to figure something out and call them on the phone, they are great. I booked my honeymoon to Bora-Bora through them and spent probably about 3 hours on the phone with the agent looking at different dates and answering whatever questions she could. We wound up saving some money by moving the trip around by a few days and she was able to get us an amazing room upgrade for only $200 for the 5 days we were in Bora.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

If I buy a Kamado Joe during one of the traveling events will they deliver it? I moved about 80 miles from the nearest church and don't want to make the drive if they won't.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Saw a guy at church this weekend pushing his cart then rolling on Heely's with it. Went in for a whole prime brisket to smoke and managed to leave while spending less than $200.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

When the gently caress is costco going to start selling their 4 lb bags of trail mix online again??? I hate living in a city without church.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Online still doesn't have the 4lb bags of Kirkland trail mix. There is a sale on metal prints so I got a 20x30 of a photo from my honeymoon and a 16x20 beach photo for my parents as a gift for about $140 which seems like a good price. PBUC.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Xaris posted:

you have to spend $3,000 a year to break-even on it, which, for a suburban tract-house family of 4 is not a high of a bar, but an apartment/condo of just 1-2 people may be a bit of a stretch without a whole lot of Big Purchases in the works. and that's just break-even, for a noticeable refund you'll have to spend more than that. lets just put it this way, there's a reason why they're very very pushy and car salesmany about pushing the executive memberships and have been for the last 4 years or whenever the amex change swapped over. they aren't pushing executive cards constantly just to save people money.

also in order to get refunded for the executive card you can only officially do it once, have to stand in customer service line (which can take 10-20 minutes), and then you get downgraded to gold membership and the executive +$60 refunded. that said individual costcos may handle it differently and may let you get refunded $60 while keeping it but it may be a one-off thing and official policy is that to get your <$60 rebate you have to be cancelled or downgraded to gold

but if you do constantly make Very Big Purchases like fridges or furnitute and laptops or you have a big ol mormon quiverful family, yeah it's absolutely worth it. for us as a household of 2 in a 1-br apartment, it's not. we spend about $2k a year at most.
Not that it's useful this year, but a lot of the Costco travel packages count towards it and you get extra stuff with the executive membership (usually something like a shirt or a bottle of wine).

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

"Costco has jewelry?" I thought to myself before relegating it to the vague front section of eyeware I always skip past

There was a whole page about it on one of those credit card points sites a few years ago. Basically if you bought something more than several thousand dollars and then returned it Costco would issue you a check instead of refunding the purchase. The writer had it down to a science and would request the purchase be cancelled just after it was too late and wasn't even taking the jewelry from the manager to churn their card.

And 'co actually has good stuff if you look. I got my wife's engagement ring and 2 wedding bands (1 backup in case something ever happens) after looking at them with her.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

priznat posted:

Now you all have me looking at air fryer ovens! Breville has one that is also a dehydrator, hmmmmm

As a kid my favourite thing was my granny’s dried apricots.

I have the breville bov900bss -- it is awesome. I haven't used the dehydrate function yet but the airfry feature is great.

As far as air fryers general use case, they are basically perfect for cooking frozen junk food like tater tots or cheese sticks instead of the regular oven. All the recipes where people insist you can make home made deep fried food without frying are bullshit. Getting one that is a combo toaster oven allows you to at least cook more stuff easier than the full oven. I use mine to do whole chickens and baked potatoes. You just need to monitor the food temperature because the timing is different (usually much quicker).

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

My local church finally has Bitchin' Sauce, what's the best vehicle to scoop it up?

Your fingers. I like to dip mozzarella string cheese in it, or carrots.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I filled half my chest freezer with limited edition ice cream from Publix. I will eat chocolate cookie quarry and Santa's white Christmas whenever the hell I want, season be damned.

The other half is filled with meat and fish.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

The Midniter posted:

The trick I've found to vacuum sealing wet stuff is to watch the bag like a hawk while it's sucking the air out. As SOON as you start to see some of the liquid in the bag move toward the cut end, mash that seal button. You may trap a tiny, negligible amount of air in there, but that's worth being able to seal the bag instead of getting meat juice everywhere and a bag that won't seal.

Also, pull the bag out just a little and run the sealer again, if your sealer doesn't have a pulse seal function.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Xaris posted:

-Parchment Paper / tin foil sheets / cling wrap
I foolishly bought two large rolls of cling wrap in 2012 or 2013 as a single man. I am still using the first one. The large roll of tin foil I bought at the same time only ran out this year.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

It was years ago, around 2008 or something. Before the whole, "HIGH FRUCTOSE IS BAD! But these Mexicans sodas still use cane sugar!? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat" hype train. Any soda made outside the U.S is 10 times better than anything we manage to produce...even if theyre the same soda ( i.e coke )

Topo Chico is prob the best carbonated water also, especially for makin Italian cream sodas :discourse:
It's the wrong time of year, but you can also get coke made with real sugar for Passover at a lot of grocery stores. It has a yellow cap on the bottle.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

The blue guatemalan bag with the bird on it is nice. Medium roast if you don't like dark roasts. For the grinder pick up a burr grinder. I got a still in the box used OXO Conical Burr grinder from eBay for about $50 and am very happy with it. It's the budget pick from wirecutter and normally sells for $100 and is worth that.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Costco packs of 5 hour energy got me through my M.S. and used to be a staple part of my pre-race setup for triathlons.

FORUMS USER 1135 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 7, 2020

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

pentyne posted:

Stropwaffles are loving amazing and I haven't even tried the heating it over a coffee cup method yet.

Put it over a cup of light tea with honey. By the time the tea steeps the waffle should have the perfect consistency along with a slight flavor of honey and tea along with caramel. Stroopwafels loving rock.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I got the costco food court set of dog toys and can't stop laughing when our lab brings me the toy costco card to trade for her dinner. Well worth the $25 to buy online.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Hell Yeah posted:

also i've now tried about 80% of the different kinds of nice coffee at costco and found them all to be ok, but yesterday i was able to find the light roast ethiopian which i think is the last one i'll try before going back to the local roaster i buy from.
This past winter they had a really great medium roast coffee from Starbucks (organic winter blend). I wound up buying at least 6 2.5-lb bags which I keep in my chest freezer. I haven't tried the ethiopian but pre-covid I would get the Guatemalan blue bag when I was in charge of buying coffee for the office since it was a nice compromise between good light roasts and the poo poo dark roast my coworkers like.

For the car buying program program my parents used them to get a lead on a lease, and a few months after the lease was signed they called my dad and told him he qualified for some sort of rebate that he had no idea about. So he got a free $700 check for basically using Costco as the referrer to the dealer.

Currently I am waiting on replacement parts for damaged furniture I ordered through the 'co. I think the best part of the membership is when things go wrong, you can always call the customer service and they will take care of poo poo for you. Delta didn't respond to any of our phone calls or emails, but the day after we contacted Costco we had a tracking number for parts.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Doesn't the concierge technical support cover 2 years? They also have an included 2 year extended warranty for computers excluding touch screen tablets listed on the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

There are a ton of middle eastern dishes that use lamb if you are looking for inspiration beyond the normal roasting type recipes. I had Laban Immo this weekend for the first time - the boiling and the yogurt definitely got rid of any tangy taste and it was amazingly tender. I like to use neck bones and the shanks in the instant pot with chickpeas and raisins or dried apricots.