Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

In Phantom Brave, a 13-year-old girl named Marona is left on an island by herself by her parents who abandoned her when she was 5. She works as a Chroma, which is essentially a hero-for-hire with the twist that she can summon the spirits of the dead, manifesting them into everyday items like pots and trees. Along the way, people will go out of their way to be mean to her, because that's what you do with 13 year old kids who are clearly freaking possessed.

Phantom Brave was originally released in 2004, and has seen several rereleases since. It falls into the Strategy RPG genre of games, with characters the player levels up to pit against enemy combatants. Unlike most other Nippon Ichi Software titles, the maps used are not grid based, which adds a level of complexity (and at times, frustration) that to date only one other title by this company has explored (that being Makai Kingdom.) This game manages to avoid a number of tropes that Nippon Ichi's flagship franchise Disgaea has, focusing on a tale of a young girl trying to make her world better even as others are quick to exploit her. This is a classic underdog story that I personally enjoy, and I think many others will too.

So How Are We Playing This Thing?
I'll be uploading videos on Youtube, with commentary. I intend to break down each map (with its cutscenes) to its own video. I will generally, but not always, try to keep my mouth shut during the cutscenes in case people haven't seen them before. You will all help by suggesting names for characters we recruit. For this playthrough, we will not be focused on the most hardcore optimum builds, instead focusing on what makes the playthrough easier to get through. I may do side videos outside of the storymode, but likely will not feel the need to record every grind session between maps. I may take screenshots if I feel something is best expressed this way.

How Often Are We Playing This Thing?
As we can. In the beginning, it'll be easy to get 2 or 3 maps out of the way. As we get closer to the end, we may have to make do with just one. I'll be sure to at least post in the thread once a day, and especially as we get this started I should have at least something to share. As we get further along, that may be more difficult just by the nature of this game in general.

Feedback
While I've done some live streaming before, this is my first Let's Play, and I'm trying to get better at this in general. So please, feel free to point out when I need to make sure to adjust things. I will mention for what it's worth I capture gameplay with OBS, but have not settled on a solid (free!) video editor yet. I also could benefit from some more advanced editing techniques, but I'm not going to let that stop me from this particular LP.

Spoilers
Story events should be tagged. Unlockable characters that aren't story characters are far less of a concern, especially as we decide the undead spirit army we're going to use to bring Marona to glory!

Suggesting Names

Keep names PG-13, but really the more hilarious (or at times, just plain stupider) the name suggested, the more likely I am to pick it. Names have a 12 character limit.

Videos:
Game Introduction! [000]
Terra Firma Tutorials [001]
Terra Firma: Deserted Quarry(1,1) [002]
Terra Firma: Barren Earth(1,2) [003]
Terra Firma: Primitive Altar(1,3) [004]

Chapter 2
Chapter 2: Walnut (Introduction)[005]
Windmill Promontory: Sylph's Melody (2, 1) [006]
Windmill Promontory: Life's Cradle (2, 2) [007]
Windmill Promontory: S. Wind's Howl (2, 3) [008]

Chapter 3
Chapter 3: Meeeting Putty (Introduction)[009]
Chapter 3: Monetopia: Gentle Brook (3, 1) [010]
Chapter 3: Monetopia: Peaceful Hill (3, 2) [011]
Chapter 3: Intermission: The 7 Wonders of Phantom Isle, and Bottlemail [012]
Chapter 3: Monetopia: Shining Earth (3, 3) [013]

Chapter 4
Chapter 4: A Friend (Introduction) [014]
Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Bloody Fortress (4,1)[015]
Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Devil's Cry (4,2) [016]
Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Cruel Verdict (4,3) [017]
Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Tragedy's Stage (4,4) [018]

Chapter 5
Chapter 5: Scarlet the Brave [019]
Chapter 5: Forestia: Nature's Bounty (5,1) [020]
Chapter 5: Forestia: Bed of Flowers (5,2) [021]
Chapter 5: Forestia: Green Cradle (5,3) [022]
Chapter 5: Forestia: Yggdrasil Sleep (5,4) [023]

Chapter 6
Chapter 6: Unexpected Reward + Innocent Entry (6, 1) [024]
Chapter 6: Verdant Guardiana: Mischief Garden (6, 2) [025]
Chapter 6: Verdant Guardiana: Hidden Hall (6, 3) [026]
Chapter 6: Verdant Guardiana: Green Paradise (6, 4) [027]

Chapter 7
Chapter 7: The Rainbow Bird[028]
Island of Evil: Sick Unto Death (7, 1) [029]
Island of Evil: Road of the Lost (7, 2) [030]
Island of Evil: Life and Death (7, 3) [031]
Island of Evil: Hall of Death (7, 4) [032]
Island of Evil: Two Maps Revisited (7,2) (7,4) [033]
Island of Evil: No Man's Land (Failure!) (7,5) [034]
Island of Evil: No Man's Land (Raphael, Walnut Fight) (7,5) [035]
Part I Finale [036]

Chapter 8
Part II: Expanding Horizons [037]
Chapter 8: Count Malt is Shaken (Intro) [038]
Frigidia: Forsaken Glacier (8,1) [039]
Frigidia: Subzero Field (8,2) [040]
Frigidia: Demon's Grudge (8,3) [041]
Frigidia: Brave's Seal(8,1) + Finale [042]

Chapter 9
Chapter 9: Dual Duelists [043]
Desert Island: Minus World (9,1) [044]
Desert Island: A Test of Will (9,2) [045]
Desert Island: Wandering's End (Raphael Fight) [046]
Desert Island: Wandering's End (Revisited for Mimics) [047]

Chapter 10
Chapter 10: Putty's Mischief [048]
Chapter 10: Putty's Mischief (2nd Intros)[049]
Mt. Kazan: Forbidden Flame (10, 1) [050]
Mt. Kazan: Fierce Tyrant (10, 2) [051]
Mt. Kazan: Hill of Death (10, 3) [052]
Mt. Kazan: Land of Fire + Finale (10, 4) [053]

Chapter 11:
Chapter 11: Paradise Saved? (11, 1) [054]
Veridian Forest: Mischief Garden (11, 2) [055]
First Two Maps, Revisited! (11, 1) (11,2)[056]
Veridian Forest: Hidden Hall (11, 3) [057]
Veridian Forest: Green Paradise (11, 4)[058]

Chapter 12:
Chapter 12: For Castile [059]
Isle of Healing Waters: Bloody Fortress (12,1) [060]
Isle of Healing Waters: Devil's Cry (12,2) [061]
Isle of Healing Waters: Cruel Verdict (12,3) [062]
Isle of Healing Waters: Tragedy's Stage (12,4) [063]

Chapter 13:
Part III: Shadow of Sulphur & Chapter 12: Once Sacred Sword [064]
Windmill Promontory: Broken Harmony (13,1)[065]
Windmill Promontory: Cursed Cradle (13,2) [066]

Chapter 14
Chapter 14: Operation Desert Rescue [067]
Hinterland Isle: Swelterland (14,1) [068]
Hinterland Isle: Unforgiving Sun (14,2) [069]
Hinterland Isle: Famished Earth (14,3) [070]
Hinterland Isle: Bone Dry Death (14,4) [071]

Chapter 15
Chapter 15: Sienna's Request [072]
Icicle Island: Desperation (15,1) [073]
Icicle Island: Lupine on Ice (15,2) [074]
Icicle Island: Frozen Lance (15,3) [075]
Icicle Island: Iced Shadow (15,4) [076]

Chapter 16
Bamboo Co.: 1st Floor (16,1) [077]
Bamboo Co.: 8th Floor (16,2) [078]
Bamboo Co.: 12th Floor (16,3) [079]
Bamboo Co.: 19th Floor (16,4) [080]
Bamboo Co.: 24th Floor (16,5) [081]
Bamboo Co.: CEO Room (16,6) [082]

Chapter 17
Island of Evil: Sick Unto Death (17,1) [083]
Island of Evil: Road of the Lost (17,2) [084]
Island of Evil: Life and Death (17,3) [085]
Island of Evil: Hall of Death (17,4) [086]
Island of Evil: No Man's Land (17,5) [087]
Island of Evil: Mortality's End (17,6) [088]

Chapter 18
Chapter 18: Battle Plan [089]
Island of Evil: Sick Unto Death (18,1) [090]
Island of Evil: Road of the Lost (18,2) [091]

Chapter 19
Island of Evil: Life and Death (19,1) [092]
Island of Evil: Hall of Death (19,2) [093]
Island of Evil: No Man's Land (19,3)[094]

Chapter 20
Island of Evil: Island of Evil: Mortality's End (20,1) [095]
Island of Evil: Hell's Appeal (20,2)[096]
Island of Evil: End of Eternity (20,3)[097]

ENDING [098]

Bonus!:
Fusion Tutorial which explains how to fuse items and skills, as well as how to level up items and unlock skills on them.
Dark Points Tutorial which explains how killing your own people is a bad plan, unless you want to sacrifice a character for an awesome attack.
Failure Dungeon Tutorial which explains how to exploit dungeons for sweet sweet EXP.
Weird Dungeons Tutorial which explains how to get yourself some prinnies and also unlock the ability to create bottle mails.
Reincarnation Tutorial will explain what to do with those Eggs and Changebooks, if you're so inclined.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

This post used to have where we named characters, but I pretty much stopped doing that preferring to go with the "Let's name characters after goons who post in this thread" so instead we will update this post with the Another Marona and Hermuda Triangle storyarc videos!

Episode 1: And Everyone Was Gone
And Everyone Was Gone [A000]
Terra Firma: Seaside Treasure (A1,1) [A001]
Monetopia: No Man's Land (A1,2) [A002]
Isle of Healing Waters: To The Old Castle (A1,3) [A003]
Isle of Healing: Waters Another Girl (A1,4)[A004]

Episode 2: Another Marona [A005]
Mt. Kazan - First Training (A2, 1) [A006]
Mt. Kazan - Fiery Discipline (A2, 2) [A007]
Mt. Kazan - Fiery Training (A2, 3) [A008]
Icicle Island - Icy Revenge (A2, 4) [A009]
Icicle Island - Cold Situation (A2, 5) [A010]
Icicle Island - Icy Trap (A2, 6) [A011]
Desert Island - Mislead (A2, 7) [A012]
Lonely Desert (A2, 8) [A013]
Reunion After 8 Years(A2, 9) [A014]
Island of Evil - Reunion After 8 Years (A2, 10) [A015]

Episode 3: Mean Carona [A016]
Forestia - Spirit and Body (A3, 1) [A017]
Windmill Promontory - Reoccuring Regret (A3, 2) [A018]
Verdant Guardiana - Spell and Wound (A3, 3) [A019]
Frigidia - Doubt (A3, 4) [A020]
Isle of Evil - First Step to Revenge (A3, 5) [A021]
Isle of Evil - Two Faced (A3, 6) [A022]
Isle of Evil - Source of Power (A3, 7) [A023]

Island of Evil A Girl's Battle (A4, 1) [A025]
Another Marona Finale (A4, 2) [A026]

EX MAPS

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 24, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'No reason,' my rear end. She's a filthy, spirit channeling probably-witch. That's like the 2nd worst kind of witch!

I beat Phantom Brave back in the PS2 era. Never again. Not because it's a bad game, oh no. But it is the furtherest thing from a casual game as a single player SRPG can get, and remembering the process still gives me a headache. I wish you luck--it's not an easy game to explain to someone watching you play.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Rangpur posted:

I wish you luck--it's not an easy game to explain to someone watching you play.

Boy, you ain't kidding. In fairness, when I first got the game for PC I did do this quick tutorial on how Fusion worked, and I'll probably relink it when I get to the point in the story where it becomes relevant. But between paying attention to stat proficiency compared to skills and skill proficiencies, the horror that is the Title system, and the absolutely garbage that is the random dungeons in this game... yeah, it can be a bit obtuse. But we'll make it work! For her sake, I will not fail!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sethimothy posted:

Boy, you ain't kidding. In fairness, when I first got the game for PC I did do this quick tutorial on how Fusion worked, and I'll probably relink it when I get to the point in the story where it becomes relevant. But between paying attention to stat proficiency compared to skills and skill proficiencies, the horror that is the Title system, and the absolutely garbage that is the random dungeons in this game... yeah, it can be a bit obtuse. But we'll make it work! For her sake, I will not fail!

Good luck, you'll need it. To quote the Disgaea: D2 thread, it was worth getting a PhD Physics candidate to write the official strategy guide.

habituallyred posted:

Did they really get a future PHD to do the mechanics for the Phantom Brave guide?

Wanderer posted:

Yes. His name's Kale Harbick. Last I heard, he was teaching physics somewhere.

He was responsible for the chapter in the PB guide on how to beat the game in a little over four hours.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

I sadly have not seen the strategy guide. It would be interesting to see how it explains some of the unusual design decisions this game has made. Also, beating this game in 4 hours? They must have been exploiting weapon fusing, I'm assuming?

NEW VIDEO! Mostly because I'm tired of grinding the first map in the game, and would like to become tired of grinding the SECOND map in the game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQJ_wunsN4

In this map, we come across a Blacksmith. It's worth noting that he's an actual antagonist, and not a yellow "I'll attack you, but you don't have to kill me proceed" type NPC. This map also reminds you, the player, to pay attention to items and monsters that fortify other items and monsters.

You'll also notice I'm using some weapons. Weapons are kind of a double edged sword. Especially early in the game, they can increase the power of a character immensely. However, equipped items count as an additional character against the number of individuals Marona can summon on the map at any given time. Anyone equipped with an item also can't lift or throw creatures, which can become a strategy concern on some maps. Weapons can also be stolen by enemies, who will then benefit from those stat boosts. At this point in the game, I'll use them a lot. Once I get a Fusionist, and can give abilities from items to characters, I'll rely on them a lot less.

I am going to use the most generic names for those I summon that I possibly can until people start suggesting other names, so feel free to make suggestions.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I played and beat this a few months ago. If you need any help explaining anything, I might know some stuff.

The story levels are fairly simple to play and beat. The best strategy (and also the most boring) is to focus on Marona and 2 or 3 phantoms and grind them up to around level 100 with a good weapon. Also pick up your free bottle mail and get a dungeon monk set up (requires 500G)

Although the mechanics behind item fusion are complex, once you get the basics of how some of it works, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the main story-line.

Edit: Sell some take home stuff to make money. The random items you take home from a map should be worth more than the end bonus from completing said map.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 14, 2016

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I freaking LOVE this game. I still have my PS2 copy, and my steam copy.

I've played through more times than i'd like to count, and even got myself the Yoshitsuna. If you have any questions that Mastersord can't answer, I probably can. I also should still have the PDF copy of the Double-Jump strategy guide for the PS2 version handy. It's remarkably useful.

And Marona is the sweetest damned necromancer in all of fiction.

Edit:
I put the PDF of the strategy guide in my dropbox. Please name a Bottlemail after me!https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv86b68d69z8w63/PhantomBraveOSG.pdf?dl=0

akkristor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 27, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

So I beat the boss of the first set of maps, and was awarded with an amazing 200 bordeaux! Oh, and a lollipup that Marona stole from an owl child. Candy is bad for owl beaks anyways, so I don't feel bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X53IBxJhA78

The villager isn't REALLY sorry that he can't pay me more than that. Next time, if you are going to gloat over how exploitable 13 year old girls are, maybe wait until you're off screen so the player can't see it? Silly elder.

This takes us to Chapter 2! Pretty exciting!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

akkristor posted:

I've played through more times than i'd like to count, and even got myself the Yoshitsuna.

Humor me, what goes into getting this? I'm assuming it's a high-tier sword, much like its namesake in other Nippon Ichi titles.

Thanks for the PDF! I've glanced through it, and... it makes my eyes glaze over, there's so much there. In return, I guess I'll have to hop around the map until I can miraculously get on that tree near the house... but once I do, a Bottlemail will be named after you! :O

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

sethimothy posted:

Humor me, what goes into getting this? I'm assuming it's a high-tier sword, much like its namesake in other Nippon Ichi titles.

Thanks for the PDF! I've glanced through it, and... it makes my eyes glaze over, there's so much there. In return, I guess I'll have to hop around the map until I can miraculously get on that tree near the house... but once I do, a Bottlemail will be named after you! :O

Ok, the Yoshitsuna, or Divine Sword as Phantom brave calls it, takes a bit of explaining about the mechanics of Dungeon Monk dungeons. Take a look at pages 71 and 72 of the PDF (pages 138 to 141 of the physical book).

If you generate a random dungeon with at least 11 floors, and the enemy level on the final floor is at least 25, there is a chance, about 1 in 3, that the bottom floor will be a BOSS floor. That boss can wield any item, and there are a number of items that can ONLY be found on a Dungeon boss. The deeper the dungeon, the higher tier of items that can be found. There are two tricks to this. First, if you leave from the final floor and return, the boss will NOT have an item. Second, if you fuse a new title onto a dungeon, the number of floors will increase (and with it, the base and maximum enemy level). This means you can leave from the 2nd to last floor, save, go back in and clear it, and if it's not a boss (or has an item you don't care for), reload your save. If it is a boss, steal the item (this is where your BottleMails come in handy!), and don't kill the boss. Instead, return to phantom island, fuse a new title on, and repeat!

The Divine Sword can only be found on the boss of a 100-floor dungeon, and it has additional requirements. Specifically, you have to go through all 100 floors without returning to Phantom Island. No fusing new titles, no saving. 100-floors, about a 1/3 chance of even HAVING a boss, then you have to hope against hope that the boss is holding the ultimate sword. There are 30 different Boss-only weapons, and the bottom-floor boss can choose from ANY of them. The Divine Sword has the highest base stats of any sword, and is the only sword to teach Dimension Slash! Good luck!

I'm not sure if you've covered stealing yet. BottleMails are the best character type for stealing, having a very high base speed and STEAL stat. This means they can LIFT items off enemys fairly consistantly, but that doesn't mean you'll take the item home. A 2nd (and possibly more) BottleMail is needed to CONFINE into the item, and then when the BottleMail returns home, hopefully the item will come too! But, BottleMails are made of glass and very fragile! Literally the lowest base health in the game, I believe. One BottleMail can be found by stacking the inhabitants of Phantom Island on top of each other high enough (which will also net you some money and a Changebook!). To get more, you'll need to create a Random Dungeon with the enemy type Wierd, and kill as many of the glass bastards as you can until you've killed enough to make them on the island.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 14, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

So I am posting not one, but two videos. I probably could have just combined them, but eh. One is more cutscene heavy than the other.

Chapter 2: Walnut (Introduction)[005]
Windmill Promontory: Sylph's Melody (2, 1) [006]

Now we have a Fusionist, which gives this game its meat, as well as its migraines. I instantly put Blinding Light on Marona not just because it's a cheap move, but because I'll need her Heart energy up for some of the other stuff she'll learn, like how to heal.

akkristor posted:

Divine Sword Stuff

Yeah... I won't be getting one of those on this playthrough. Or, likely, ever. You're a better man than me.

And I haven't really covered taking items from enemies just to confine on them and take them home, because it'll be a short bit before that comes up on an actual map. It's definitely worth sharing and keeping in mind though.

I've I'm not mistaken, the next map will be the one that allows me to get a Scrabbit, which is like a rabbit mixed with an SC! . . . I'm not sure how that works.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Oh hey, another video:

Windmill Promontory: Life's Cradle (2, 2) [007]

I do this map twice, because the second time around a secret character appears which you can recruit upon death. Think about that for a moment: Marona is killing someone, just so that she can recruit their spirit to be her friend. That's a little concerning. Owl Sages are better than the healers you are given for free at the start of the game in that they move farther, but we're not too worried about that so we won't be making one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

akkristor posted:

I've played through more times than i'd like to count, and even got myself the Yoshitsuna. If you have any questions that Mastersord can't answer, I probably can. I also should still have the PDF copy of the Double-Jump strategy guide for the PS2 version handy. It's remarkably useful.

We worked our asses off on that thing.

golden bubble posted:

Good luck, you'll need it. To quote the Disgaea: D2 thread, it was worth getting a PhD Physics candidate to write the official strategy guide.

To be fair, we had three guys. Harbick was in charge of crunchy math stuff, Iaian Ross was in charge of cracking the game over his knee, and I wrote the basics section and edited the manuscript.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

So I'm wrapping up Chapter 2, and starting Chapter 3! Hurray!

Windmill Promontory: S. Wind's Howl (2, 3) [008]
Chapter 3: Meeeting Putty (Introduction)[009]

We're making reasonable progress at this game, which is nice. This is a learning experience for me, so thanks for ignoring the fact that the phone suddenly rings while I'm talking into the microphone at the end of that one fight. :/ We'll figure this out! Trial and error style.

So we basically met Walnut, who is kind of a jackal. Or something that has a proximity rhyme with jackal. But it's okay guys, I'm sure people are done trying to walk all over Marona, right?

Wanderer posted:

To be fair, we had three guys. Harbick was in charge of crunchy math stuff, Iaian Ross was in charge of cracking the game over his knee, and I wrote the basics section and edited the manuscript.

I'm kind of honored that someone who worked on the strategy guide is in this thread. Did you have any major hiccups in making the thing, or any moments where you wanted to beat your head against the wall? Did you get any help from the publishers at all, or were you pretty much on your own?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sethimothy posted:

I'm kind of honored that someone who worked on the strategy guide is in this thread. Did you have any major hiccups in making the thing, or any moments where you wanted to beat your head against the wall? Did you get any help from the publishers at all, or were you pretty much on your own?

It was twelve years ago (...it was twelve years ago :gonk:), so a lot of it's faded by now. It was the first book we made in what became the company's house style, with the smaller size, tiny text, and multiple writers, so there were some growing pains here and there, particularly since we were all FAQ guys and I was the only one with a writing background. I remember it took me quite a while to proofread the manuscript because so much of it is charts, and this was in 2004, so we were doing all our coordination via a private, old-school PHP message board.

I'd need to go back and look up the specifics, but I remember there was some elaborate fusion combo that somebody came up with within a day or two of the game's release in North America that made a couple of our strategies redundant. We were kind of thrilled with ourselves for coming up with the Blob grenade, where you could stick a combination of abilities on one of those so it would arrive, explode, attack, expire, and explode again, but I distinctly remember that there was a slightly more elaborate combination that you could use to dispose of enemies that would otherwise have been deliberately impossible to beat. There's some math quirk with how Confinement explosions calculate their damage that make them hit way above their weight, and we just never thought to try it.

NIS America has always been pretty easy to work with, although like I said in the D2 thread, it's got the same problem that a lot of localization houses do: all the people who actually know the ins and outs of the game are invariably in Japan. If you have any questions you usually have to get them translated and sent over there, then translated back, and hope to God it still makes sense afterward. (This was a bigger problem on D2 because the English localization team had such a free hand with the script, so a bunch of stuff like item names were drawing on a different pop-culture reference pool between versions.) They were still pretty happy to play ball, and I've since worked with companies that were a lot less cooperative.

Ironically, American/Canadian companies are usually harder to work with on guide projects, because you're typically writing the game's guide at the same time as they're trying to go gold, so anyone at the company who could answer your questions usually has about a hundred other things on his/her plate that are more important than you are, and there's a non-trivial chance that a bunch of what you're doing could be invalidated overnight when they decide to push a new version through. Conversely, by the time you've come aboard on a Japanese title, the game's usually been done for months and your biggest problem is if they decide to tweak the translation after the fact.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Went ahead and uploaded another map, which we do twice to show off another hidden character that can appear: Ninja Owl!

Also, created me a Scrabbit, because at this point in the game I couldn't get anyone with a higher Speed stat, and by the time I can I'll be so far into the game I won't want to start over at level 1. Also created a Ninja Owl, which are better elemental damage types than Witches, at the cost of being really really fragile.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

akkristor posted:

The Divine Sword can only be found on the boss of a 100-floor dungeon, and it has additional requirements. Specifically, you have to go through all 100 floors without returning to Phantom Island. No fusing new titles, no saving. 100-floors, about a 1/3 chance of even HAVING a boss, then you have to hope against hope that the boss is holding the ultimate sword. There are 30 different Boss-only weapons, and the bottom-floor boss can choose from ANY of them. The Divine Sword has the highest base stats of any sword, and is the only sword to teach Dimension Slash! Good luck!

:stonklol:

I bought this game when I was younger thinking it would be similar to Disgaea, but when my characters hit a brick wall and stopped doing damage smacking dudes around with pots I basically gave up and stopped

Will be interesting to see how it's meant to be played!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I'd need to go back and look up the specifics, but I remember there was some elaborate fusion combo that somebody came up with

You remember or rediscover that combo, you let me know and I'll try it out. I did read your slime fusion idea, which I admittedly would have never tried before but seems like a pretty solid idea. I'm kind of surprised it wouldn't work about as well for a Bottle Mail?

I need to start going through that D2 thread. I've not had the chance to play D2 yet, and it would be neat to get the chance to; the thread will have to serve me in the interim. The way NIS is playing with adding their older games to the Steam store, I think a lot of us are hoping that newer titles will also make their way there. I know that if or when Makai Kingdom comes out that's a pre-purchase for me. But I also haven't really played these games in about 10 or so years (the exception being Disgaea 2 which I bought a second time for the PSP, only to sink a ridiculous 400 hours in and still not unlock the World of Carnage :whoptc:). I guess one of the neat things about these older games is that I've played them, and I've beaten them, but it's also been long enough since I last played them that there's still a sense of discovery. Like discovering a food place you used to like ten years ago has opened up a new chain near you, or something.

This spurgin' brings me to

Poulpe posted:

Will be interesting to see how it's meant to be played!

I cannot promise, at all, that I am playing this game the way it was meant to be played. I am certain that other players would be making other decisions, making the game a bit more streamlined or perhaps more min/maxed. My intent is that by the time I'm done with this playthrough, we'll have about 20 or so characters to show off a little bit of everything, we'll make it to the end, make a push on those EX maps, and then maybe do the Marona story. Having someone to share this game with makes it a little easier to get through it, hahaha. So hopefully I'm at least a little entertaining in the process.

If anyone wants to change the name of something, feel free to make that suggestion. I'm probably going to try to get that Bottle Mail shortly. I haven't tried it yet because I have fond memories of sucking horribly at getting over to the tree, even as there's a video walkthrough I've found where they get all the items on the island so... effortlessly.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Pick your inhabitants up, and throw them on the roof of the house.

Jump up there yourself (you can get up from the back), and throw them to stack them on top of each other. All you have to do then is climb up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sethimothy posted:

You remember or rediscover that combo, you let me know and I'll try it out. I did read your slime fusion idea, which I admittedly would have never tried before but seems like a pretty solid idea. I'm kind of surprised it wouldn't work about as well for a Bottle Mail?

The old message board is down, but apparently it's related to the same trick people use to power-level on 3-2. You can gimmick a Titlist's Big Bang to do a pretty insane amount of damage, since its output is based upon some fraction of the phantom's maximum HP rather than a pure contrast of stats vs. levels.

The point of using a Blob as a grenade is that it has a Remove of 1, so it's a burst-damage trick. It gets one action, then blows up on everything around it.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012

sethimothy posted:

Went ahead and uploaded another map, which we do twice to show off another hidden character that can appear: Ninja Owl!

Also, created me a Scrabbit, because at this point in the game I couldn't get anyone with a higher Speed stat, and by the time I can I'll be so far into the game I won't want to start over at level 1. Also created a Ninja Owl, which are better elemental damage types than Witches, at the cost of being really really fragile.

The video is listed as private. Nevermind, the video is working properly now.

SilverFire fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 16, 2016

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

played this game back when it first came out, and was both impressed and deterred by the zany, complicated mechanics. I could barely beat the game with lots of grinding.

as for a name suggestion, how about renaming the fighter to AAAdell? you should record the name changes on video too, to encourage people to submit suggestions.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
God I love this cute game about a tiny necromancer and all her dead friends.

I was always lazy and just named everything after music stuff or random references, like Jojo but with ADD.

My most distinct memory of this game was elation when I equipped my strongest warrior with a flower pot that was actually very effective for ending lives.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I always enjoyed equipping Marona with an Hourglass weapon. It's massive speed boosts combined with speed based attacks let me clear most random dungeon floors without summoning a phantom, as my Marona was able to get 20+ turns for each turn an enemy took.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I do love how you can tell you're really strong in Phantom Brave once you can push the enemy entirely off the turn order menu within two summons.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Nothing more relaxing than a strategy RPG LP. Keep up the good work, yo!

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Full disclosure: no video upload today guys. I did get a couple of levels, and played around with getting that stupid mail bottle (which is not as hard as I make it, yet is because... well, I'll show that off in a video. It's less difficulty and more forcing the game to work a certain way). I'll probably do a couple of maps tomorrow to make up for it. 3-2 is a special map as it's one of the first popular level grinding maps.

SilverFire posted:

The video is listed as private. Nevermind, the video is working properly now.

Sulphur must have been at it again! Fortunately Morana and Ash are there to fix these mistakes almost as quickly as they show up.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I would like to bring up something that I don't think you mentioned. Ash has a passive skill called "Quick Attack" which allows him to get a turn right after Marona confines him and ends her turn. There's another class in the game with this passive ability which I don't think you'll find except in random dungeons. If you confine multiple phantoms with this ability in one turn they will each get a turn in the order they were confined. This is a good strategy for those "oh poo poo I'm gonna get killed after my turn" moments.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

mastersord posted:

I would like to bring up something that I don't think you mentioned. Ash has a passive skill called "Quick Attack" which allows him to get a turn right after Marona confines him and ends her turn. There's another class in the game with this passive ability which I don't think you'll find except in random dungeons. If you confine multiple phantoms with this ability in one turn they will each get a turn in the order they were confined. This is a good strategy for those "oh poo poo I'm gonna get killed after my turn" moments.

I believe I did mention that Ash gets to go first whenever he comes out, but I might not have pointed out why, so I went ahead and did that on the next video!

Chapter 3: Monetopia: Peaceful Hill (3, 2) [011]

I also finally, FINALLY got that damned bottlemail. I've got a video of that, which I'll add to a post when it's done. In that video I also changed some names, gave a couple of shoutouts. I'll probably make a push for map 3-3 and the introduction to 4 to I can share those later tonight. We're making good progress, but I do need to get the units I've got up to a reasonable level so none of them are falling behind. We're almost to the point where I can start trying dungeons. I've got a need dungeon leveling trick which isn't cheap, but is worth looking at.

I need to work on the sound quality a little bit, not sure if I just need to do a better job of speaking up or adjust some things or what, I'll play with it.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 17, 2016

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

psst think you linked the wrong video mate

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Sessile posted:

psst think you linked the wrong video mate

Nah, I was hoping people wanted to watch the last fight again.

Fixed.

Also, Chapter 3: Intermission: The 7 Wonders of Phantom Isle, and Bottlemail [012]. Seriously. Getting that damned bottle mail. You have no freaking idea. :/

A lot of people insist on using the tree, because technically the tree is a little higher up than the house. But there's so much issue with getting everything on that tree that, quite honestly, you're better off just... using the house.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chapter 3: Monetopia: Shining Earth (3, 3) [013]

This takes Chapter 3 to an end.

Chapter 4 is kind of a pain because the introduction has two fights in it. We'll still do it though. :D

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chapter 4: A Friend (Introduction) [014]

This introduction catches you off guard because there's not one, but two fights during it. They aren't difficult by any means, but they are here. Also, it appears that Marona has made friends with a girl in a wheelchair. I wonder what sort of phantom she could confine to that chair, or what sort of attacks it could teach her?

I'm at a point where, after getting everyone to a certain level, I might show off the (god awful) random dungeons in this game. Ideally I'm going to want one that's low level, has at least 11 floors, and... I don't know, something.

I'll also have to do a short bit on Titles and Titlists. That's not going to be easy, because titles in this game are just... difficult. I mean, it's really easy to see when a title plain out sucks (brown color palette is applied to whatever it is on) but there's actually a few bad titles that have solid uses.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

My apologies for posting four times in a row, but considering I am posting updates I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. If it is, feel free to let me know.

Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Bloody Fortress (4,1)[015]
Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Devil's Cry (4,2) [016]

I forgot to read the newspaper and the mail on 4,1 so I did that on 4,2. I also briefly talk about using eggs and changebooks to reincarnate people, but mostly use the Changebook I acquired by stacking everything on Marona's house to take over the bodies of unsuspecting Phantoms. It isn't permanent (going to the map screen removes the effect) but it's a neat gimmick not a lot of people are aware of.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Busy weekend, so just a small update:

Chapter 4: Isle of Healing Waters: Cruel Verdict (4,3) [017]

There's 18 chapters to this game, not including extra maps and the additional campaign. Hopefully I can be here for the long haul.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sethimothy posted:

My apologies for posting four times in a row, but considering I am posting updates I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. If it is, feel free to let me know.

If someone is seriously complaining about the high frequency of updates in a LP, they deserve to be ignored.

edit : Just a note, the audio mixing on this latest set of videos seems to have the game volume way too high. It's hard to hear your commentary over it. You might also want to consider an auto-ducking plugin (automatically reduces other channel's volume when there is commentary).

Chuu fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 19, 2016

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

sethimothy posted:

Chapter 4: A Friend (Introduction) [014]I'll also have to do a short bit on Titles and Titlists. That's not going to be easy, because titles in this game are just... difficult. I mean, it's really easy to see when a title plain out sucks (brown color palette is applied to whatever it is on) but there's actually a few bad titles that have solid uses.

One thing that people often overlook is that title can gain levels too.

If you attach a title to a random dungeon and progress through it, when you return to PI, the title may gain levels, gaining various stats, resistances, and even gaining new inherent skills. However, as the title gets better, so do the enemies within the title dungeon.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Just caught up. This game is pretty adorable. Marona's true reward for this chapter is obviously making a friend... her parents won't be able to pay her, but seriously, having a friend right now really will be the best reward ever. It's not like the rear end in a top hat jackal can steal a friend, right? They already know she's the possessed, so spilling those beans won't change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chuu posted:

edit : Just a note, the audio mixing on this latest set of videos seems to have the game volume way too high. It's hard to hear your commentary over it. You might also want to consider an auto-ducking plugin (automatically reduces other channel's volume when there is commentary).

I'll look into it, see what I can't do. I also need to find out where that echo is coming from, if it's just the room I'm in or if it's something I can control and fix. It's not like I'm using the cheapest setup in the world. But I'm at the point where I might have to try doing the audio as a separate track and add it on, which would be a lot more work and I worry would also lead to a sound that would be a little less spontaneous. Still a lot I need to learn, hahaha.

akkristor posted:

One thing that people often overlook is that title can gain levels too.

I think come Chapter 6 I'm going to take a break from the story, do a better job of explaining titles (but not the best job, because seriously titles are so drat obtuse. There is literally no way in game to tell what level a title is, outside of level 0, which turns a character's color palette brown.) Then maybe set up a dungeon with 11 floors, starting at or about level 1, and just... power through it, for better or worse. I remember doing a video that showed how a player can exploit the game by creating a dungeon, putting a god-awful title on it, and then clearing it; all the monsters in it will have the title and by proxy the status reductions. Of course, this means they have the experience reductions as well, but the bonuses from clearing the dungeon are immune to this.

I also thought it was kind of silly that you can't rename a random dungeon's title, so you've basically got a title that's unreadable like "xK0tvz" or "Xx_Walnut_Fan_xX" or "tvzzbD" or whatever. I guess it makes them unique.

I should, at some point, also explain dark points, because they're really god awful outside of the ability a character can get for getting 100 of the darn things, but by then their stats have taken such a hit it's like what's the point?

Iunnrais posted:

Just caught up. This game is pretty adorable.

I agree. The one thing I really like about this game, as spoiler free as possible, is that it's a game where the protagonist really has to work in hopes of getting a better life for herself. Sadly, this early on in the game, we can expect that her struggles are still ongoing.

Again, I appreciate the feedback, and sorry if the updates aren't as solid as perhaps they should be.

• Locked thread