Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Signposts, treasure chests and minecarts with their own unique (albeit small) movesets. Picking up dragons, pointing them at the enemy and using them as flamethrowers. HELL CORGIS.

Phantom Brave was my favourite NIS game for a lot of reasons, but I think the biggest one is the sheer variety. Disgaea-style games were always goofy by their very concept (throwing allies across the map, say), and I prefer this game's down-to-earth goofiness to the over-the-top goofiness from the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Veridian Forest: Mischief Garden (11, 2) [055]
First Two Maps, Revisited! (11, 1) (11,2)[056]
Veridian Forest: Hidden Hall (11, 3) [057]
Veridian Forest: Green Paradise (11, 4)[058]

Fun fact that doesn't really matter too much but I come across two people with an Omni title and go "Wow, that's a high level title, but it's not a level 7 title!" Indeeed, Omni is a level 6 title. Literally the best level of title one can get without being lucky in the dungeon. Shame it was on a bad guy and not something Marona could steal.

This brings Chapter 11 to a close! Next we'll be visiting Castile again, and also (slight spoilers) dealing with Walnut.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
One of the things you should keep in mind with any skill is that each skill's damage is dependent on one of your stats. That includes the stats added by what you have equipped as well. "Bone Train" from that femur is HP-based while any of the sign skills are INT-based. I don't know if there are any multipliers on top of that for certain skills but i wouldn't be surprised if there were.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That "OH NO YOU DIDN'T" is one of the best battle cries I've ever heard.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, is there anything in the story that can even give you a challenge at this point?
Also, something I noticed: Sometimes enemies don't even do anything, even when it's their turn and you units stand right next to them. Why is that so?

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nuramor posted:

So, is there anything in the story that can even give you a challenge at this point?

Yeah, getting a drat Weird monster typing to show up on my random dungeons. I'll be touching up on that in the next set of videos.

This game is kind of weird in that, because of the "exploit" I'm using, the game is reasonably easy. But once you get to the final set of missions, and then in any of the EX content (extra maps not directly related to the story but often directly related to the franchise) it's clear they not only knew about the exploit but actively expected you to use it.

Nuramor posted:

Also, something I noticed: Sometimes enemies don't even do anything, even when it's their turn and you units stand right next to them. Why is that so?

Their AI is not reactive. They are often very scripted. Sometimes they are set to focus on stealing weapons, and not attack. Other times they are expected to wait a few turns to attack, and by then I've made a move on them. An uncommon, but not rare, occurrence is for them to move towards someone they want to beat up, trip over the terrain, and then give up.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 15, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Speaking of weird dungeons, we take a break today to show off this Weird Dungeons Tutorial which explains how to get yourself some prinnies and also unlock the ability to create bottle mails.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Skill Level does affect skills like "Big Bang" and "Parting Gift" (both of which are HP based) as well as passives like "Healing Steps".

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

I hope you guys like Walnut because this episode is pretty much dedicated to him.

Chapter 12:
Chapter 12: For Castile [059]
Isle of Healing Waters: Bloody Fortress (12,1) [060]
Isle of Healing Waters: Devil's Cry (12,2) [061]
Isle of Healing Waters: Cruel Verdict (12,3) [062]
Isle of Healing Waters: Tragedy's Stage (12,4) [063]

Also to make up for the fact that I've gotten horribly overleveled (and likely will become more so) I've started mixing up the weapons and items I bring on to the map for fun and excitement. Enjoy the use of a pumpkin, a vase, and an egg as weapons.

Wiffle
Jan 5, 2014
drat, Walnut is such a terrible character. You knew they were going to try and justify his comical evilness but it still hurts to watch.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Wiffle posted:

drat, Walnut is such a terrible character. You knew they were going to try and justify his comical evilness but it still hurts to watch.

I think they handled Walnut better than Cauldron (I'm still confused why he went from a mustache-twirling land baron to Marona's cheerleader just because she helped drive off Canary, even though he could've hired any of the other Ravens to do the job, or even done it himself).

At least I can understand and sympathize with Walnut, though he needs a bit more of a conscience. He's also a bit of a product of his environment (everyone called him a thief and a bully, so he became both). Still, he's also somewhat competent as a fighter and can use some magic, so why go to the trouble of being credit thief?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
That was what always made me annoyed at the writing; He's even got one of those big special colour attacks that make you Plot Important, why can't he just... Go do missions? I think he literally only makes money poaching payment from Marona, who's just disliked enough that they'll give her money to other people if they lie about it; other Chroma presumably have contracts or something.

Speaking of Psycho Burgundy, in Japan, Ash had one of those big fancy colour things, too; Blue Dragon somethingorother. They translated the ability as Solemn Vow and changed the chant to "You'll go no further, for her sake I will not fail" which I don't really understand why they did that.

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 17, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Jukebox Hero posted:

That was what always made me annoyed at the writing; He's even got one of those big special colour attacks that make you Plot Important, why can't he just... Go do missions?

BECAUSE HE'S A CHROMA 0XIDE (zero intentional, check his title) OKAY!? If he did normal missions, he'd just be a regular Chroma. Everyone knows there is no real money in being, like, a regular Chroma. Time to Oxide that stuff, baby!

If we make it through to the end of the main scenario, I'll go out of my way to hunt down the part of Soul Nomad and the World Eater where Walnut/Faded gets his own extended plot. Sadly, you don't see any of him outside of this game and a small bit of map there. Someone mentioned how in the later Disgaea games Castile actually has bonus maps but I'm not in a position to check that sadly.

quote:

I don't really understand why they did that.

Neither do I, and I was surprised and sad to hear that, because I honestly think his Solemn Vow makes sense and fits his character. So when you told me it had changed, I had to look it up. Apparently, his ORIGINAL dialogue could be said as something like "Grant me the strength to vanquish the evil before me! The power of the Sea Dragon, Eccarlate!" Ties in well with that Rising Dragon ability of his. But honestly, I don't speak Japanese, I am unlikely to ever, so it's hard to judge this game based off of pure translation alone.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nippon Ichi has always been characters first plot second, this being a pretty minor plot hole compared to their usual fare. After the first couple of maps I was hoping this game would be a break from their trend of backloading all the important plot but I guess not.

It's one reason I actually want to play Disgaea 5. Supposedly it breaks from a lot of the things I find annoying about NIS games in a good way; pacing being one of them. Hopefully it comes to PC.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chapter 13:
Windmill Promontory: Broken Harmony (13,1)[065]
Windmill Promontory: Cursed Cradle (13,2) [066]

Chapter 14
Chapter 14: Operation Desert Rescue [067]

Chapter 13 is super short, containing only 2 maps, although the enemies on those maps are above normal in difficulty. We then jump quickly into Chapter 14.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

We hear you, Castille. We hear you.

Given Canary, Hamm and now the disturbingly-adorable Bijou, it seems like this game's story is heavy into delayed gratification. Pretty much leading up to Forestia it was a bunch of unrelated, largely-unfulfilling setup, and now it seems like they're eager to do stuff with it.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chapter 14
Hinterland Isle: Swelterland (14,1) [068]
Hinterland Isle: Unforgiving Sun (14,2) [069]
Hinterland Isle: Famished Earth (14,3) [070]
Hinterland Isle: Bone Dry Death (14,4) [071]

Chapter 15
Chapter 15: Sienna's Request [072]

Part of me feels like I should slow down on the updates, let others post, get their opinions in. Another part of me feels like we kind of have a core group watching, I'm in a position to move forward, so might as well while I can. I was going to hold on to these updates until Monday, but I'm here now, so might as well. With that, I might or might not get out a few more chapters in the coming days... but there's apparently some holiday coming up? So I won't apologize for delays, unless you don't hear from me for a year or two. Then we might have issues, haha.

Also, once I get enough spiritual physical firesword energy (seriously, why couldn't this game name the different energy types for you?) on the dragon so I can show off his one move I haven't done yet, I'll probably fold him into another beast for variety, so if any of you have a particular creature you'd like to see, feel free to let me know. I am also trying to play with OBS so that it actually captures some of the attacks that freeze the software up. It seems to be an issue with specific particle attacks, but a solid solution hasn't been found yet. I dropped the frame rate and it's made a difference, but not enough of one, so... I'll continue to figure this thing out!

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Doesn't the manual name the ammo types? Like... Strength(grey sword), Skill (red sword), Nature(plant), Hex(skull), Heal(the green one), and... Ugh, the last one's weird iirc, like... Weird? Something. I might be making all this up on accident but poo poo at least they're names I guess.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
You forgot to post video 64.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nuramor posted:

You forgot to post video 64.

Fixed! For those who missed it it's at Part III: Shadow of Sulphur & Chapter 12: Once Sacred Sword [064].

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

Part of me feels like I should slow down on the updates, let others post, get their opinions in. Another part of me feels like we kind of have a core group watching, I'm in a position to move forward, so might as well while I can. I was going to hold on to these updates until Monday, but I'm here now, so might as well. With that, I might or might not get out a few more chapters in the coming days... but there's apparently some holiday coming up? So I won't apologize for delays, unless you don't hear from me for a year or two. Then we might have issues, haha.

Also, once I get enough spiritual physical firesword energy (seriously, why couldn't this game name the different energy types for you?) on the dragon so I can show off his one move I haven't done yet, I'll probably fold him into another beast for variety, so if any of you have a particular creature you'd like to see, feel free to let me know. I am also trying to play with OBS so that it actually captures some of the attacks that freeze the software up. It seems to be an issue with specific particle attacks, but a solid solution hasn't been found yet. I dropped the frame rate and it's made a difference, but not enough of one, so... I'll continue to figure this thing out!

Keep it coming! This game has a lot of content and you still have 2-3 more chapters in normal mode, "Another Marona", "Hermuda Triangle", and the other bonus maps. I recommend you do them in that order btw due to how the game handles unlocked characters (unless they patched that too).

Jukebox Hero posted:

Doesn't the manual name the ammo types? Like... Strength(grey sword), Skill (red sword), Nature(plant), Hex(skull), Heal(the green one), and... Ugh, the last one's weird iirc, like... Weird? Something. I might be making all this up on accident but poo poo at least they're names I guess.

Physical(grey sword),Energy(red sword), Physical magic(plant), Elemental magic(lightning bolt), Stat-altering(skull), Healing(heart), and Space-Time(grey with dashed lines) according to the guide.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

My children actually let me sneak off and do some recording, so here is Chapter 15!

Icicle Island: Desperation (15,1) [073]
Icicle Island: Lupine on Ice (15,2) [074]
Icicle Island: Frozen Lance (15,3) [075]
Icicle Island: Iced Shadow (15,4) [076]

This is kind of a plot-light set of missions which basically amount to "It's time to rescue Count Malt!" Also, Scrabbits are lucky. So, I don't know, get a Scrabbit tail?

If I ever do an LP of a Disgaea game I'm naming an Emblem or something a Scrabbit Tail, or a Scrabbit Paw, because I am a horrible human being.

quote:

Physical(grey sword),Energy(red sword), Physical magic(plant), Elemental magic(lightning bolt), Stat-altering(skull), Healing(heart), and Space-Time(grey with dashed lines) according to the guide.

So for now on we will call it by that! Gray Sword, Red Sword, Plant, Bolt, Skull, Haato, and Grey Squiggles. It just makes sense! :D

And yes, once we beat the main meat of the game, because of how the game handles starting everyone at level 1 we'll want to switch over to Another Marona first... but not before I get that stupid achievement where I can make any party member I want. I'm not even sure what I'm missing right now. Probably Dark Knights.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

And yes, once we beat the main meat of the game, because of how the game handles starting everyone at level 1 we'll want to switch over to Another Marona first... but not before I get that stupid achievement where I can make any party member I want. I'm not even sure what I'm missing right now. Probably Dark Knights.

That's not the problem. If you do the ex missions and Hermuda Triangle before Another Marona, you lose all the unlocked bonus phantoms when you start it, forcing you to beat the game a second (third) time and do all those missions over. I don't remember if you can access the ex-missions from Another Marona, so you might have to go back and beat the main story-line again anyway if you want to keep all the bonus phantoms.

Archers are my guess. Archers, Boars, bottle mails, and Prinnies are only available via random dungeons.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 22, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah. Archers are hidden but also super useful. I have one.

I just found this and it's pretty great.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

mastersord posted:

Archers are my guess. Archers, Boars, bottle mails, and Prinnies are only available via random dungeons.

Turns out (and I'm not sure why we're spoiler tagging this but w/e) that I am missing werewolves and boars.

Welp. One of those will be really easy to fix.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just make a DemiMan Dungeon. I did one of those as a failure dungeon and got all of those within like 3 floors.

(Admittedly it was a "MANY" dungeon which is absolute suffering, but still)

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Senerio posted:

Just make a DemiMan Dungeon. I did one of those as a failure dungeon and got all of those within like 3 floors.

(Admittedly it was a "MANY" dungeon which is absolute suffering, but still)

Turned out I also didn't have, of all stupid things, Behemoths. Achievement unlocked!

To celebrate, let's storm the Bamboo Co. Headquarters.

Chapter 16
Bamboo Co.: 1st Floor (16,1) [077]
Bamboo Co.: 8th Floor (16,2) [078]
Bamboo Co.: 12th Floor (16,3) [079]
Bamboo Co.: 19th Floor (16,4) [080]
Bamboo Co.: 24th Floor (16,5) [081]
Bamboo Co.: CEO Room (16,6) [082]

I believe I missed a cutscene, but the thing is I'm not sure HOW I missed it, so if it seems like Marona should have received a bottle mail... maybe she should have. But what might have been missed pretty quickly falls into place.

The CEO room is fun because like three different characters take turns showing off attacks from a Treasure Chest. Even one of the monsters steals the darn thing and then helps out.

And with this, my next real update won't likely be until Tuesday. I thought about uploading this stuff and then releasing it later, but gently caress it. Merry Christmas, people.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you buff an object on the field and someone equips it, do they get the buff as well? If so, that cast in the first video might not have been as dumb as you thought.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ahahahaaaa, oh my! Well, quite a few surprises there, and you're right, that CEO Office is something else. Still, what's amusing me the most right now is that this now makes two incredibly awkward cheering sections, and... Oh sod.

Walnut's about to do something very stupid over his very stupid "principles", isn't he?

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

mastersord posted:

If you buff an object on the field and someone equips it, do they get the buff as well? If so, that cast in the first video might not have been as dumb as you thought.

I tested this, and it kind of does (in that there is a buff to the item, but the equipment bonus the item gives is a fraction of the buff itself). However, water cans as a general rule only have two, maybe three skills that utilize Attack as their primary stat for dealing damage, so I will still claim it is silly and that scrabbit should feel silly.

JamieTheD posted:

Walnut's about to do something very stupid over his very stupid "principles", isn't he?

Come on, why would he do anything like...

Chapter 17
Island of Evil: Sick Unto Death (17,1) [083]
Island of Evil: Road of the Lost (17,2) [084]
Island of Evil: Life and Death (17,3) [085]
Island of Evil: Hall of Death (17,4) [086]
Island of Evil: No Man's Land (17,5) [087]
Island of Evil: Mortality's End (17,6) [088]

Oh. Well then.

Also a quick note. So the microphone I use needs a new power source, so that it'll quit doing the thing that it does where you can hear me well and then suddenly I sound like I'm talking to you from Argentina or something. They're only about $20 with shipping on Amazon, but that's $20 I don't have this time of the year so until I figure something out... well, here we are. There is a definite drop in sound quality in a couple of videos that I definitely notice, and I don't think it's so bad that the videos are unwatchable but it was something I noticed after the fact and I apologize for that. I'll do my best to make sure it's not an issue with future episodes. I should be using multiple saves so that if I need to go back and redo something, I can do so.

Also also I know I said I wouldn't update until Tuesday but I had some spare time and here we are! Hopefully the drop in quality doesn't hurt the update being worth it. Merry Christmas!

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
I just watched all your videos pretty good so far. Not a bad RPG but to grindy for me? Just like Disgaea.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Monday, Tuesday, what's the difference, amirite?

Chapter 18
Chapter 18: Battle Plan [089]
Island of Evil: Sick Unto Death (18,1) [090]
Island of Evil: Road of the Lost (18,2) [091]

And also a new bonus video:
Reincarnation Tutorial will explain what to do with those Eggs and Changebooks, if you're so inclined.

We reincarnate Ash. This might not have been the most opportune time to do so from a strategic, number crunching sense, but we're getting pretty close to the end of this arc and I was in a position to reincarnate him anyways so why not.

Also, this story (which reuses a couple of maps, and those map's names!) is paramount for showing us how those two Boar brothers are getting along, allows us to check in on Castile to see how her putty sign language thing is doing, and the secret identity of Scarlet the Brave is revealed. Spoilers: it's not like you didn't know who it was going to be, come on now, how many of you didn't see this coming?

If I practically eat the microphone you all can hear me kind of fine so I'm doing what I can with what I have. I also feel like I'm getting a tiny bit better at this whole LP thing (after over 90 videos, one would hope I was!) so I'm currently considering some other projects as well. Even with these setbacks, I do intend to show off the Another Marona campaign and then the EX maps.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: Well, I completely misinterpreted what "reincarnate" means in the game's context.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 26, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You can New Game++ before entering "Another Marona". After beating the main game, a new wisp shows up next to your mailbox on Phantom Island. Talk to it and choose, I think it was "reincarnation" or something and everything except for ex map bonus phantoms will carry over. Although the game recommends a level 1 play through, this is the only way to get and keep all the special phantoms on one file.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 27, 2016

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chuu posted:

edit: Well, I completely misinterpreted what "reincarnate" means in the game's context.

Yeah, it's not like Ash gets to come back as a chicken or something. Many NIS games, most notably Disgaea, have a way of starting a character over at level one with their skills (perhaps with a percentage hit) and the opportunity to level up with better base stats, resulting in higher stats overall. This can be a real boon in those games, especially as content gets harder. In this game, I'll be honest, most of the time it makes more sense for me to create a character, level it up really high in a dungeon, then create another character like it but with more bonus points (which are affected by the highest level of the character of the same type you currently have), folding the old character into the new one, and away we go.

mastersord posted:

Super secret stuff

So there is a way to do it! I'll probably do that then.

Meanwhile, man I am on my game today! Three more maps done!

Chapter 19
Island of Evil: Life and Death (19,1) [092]
Island of Evil: Hall of Death (19,2) [093]
Island of Evil: No Man's Land (19,3)[094]

The next chapter is the last. If I recall correctly, it's technically three maps, but the last map is, without spoilers, tiered. I'm half tempted to just stream the drat thing and go from there, so I don't have to worry too much about how it turns out. We'll see.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 27, 2016

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

The next chapter is the last. If I recall correctly, it's technically three maps, but the last map is, without spoilers, tiered. I'm half tempted to just stream the drat thing and go from there, so I don't have to worry too much about how it turns out. We'll see.

I might not be able to watch if you do.

I don't know if you have access to them yet, but keep an eye out for items with "Oni" or "Galaxy". They're only found in random dungeons Beyond floor 10 but they have some nice (if expensive) skills

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

mastersord posted:

I might not be able to watch if you do.

I don't know if you have access to them yet, but keep an eye out for items with "Oni" or "Galaxy". They're only found in random dungeons Beyond floor 10 but they have some nice (if expensive) skills

If I streamed it, I would then archive it for everyone to watch, but it looks like I won't be anyways, so it's all good.

And I am absolutely looking for rank 7 titles, and haven't found any yet, Oni or otherwise. They don't appear to show up very often at all, which makes me sadfaced.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

sethimothy posted:

If I streamed it, I would then archive it for everyone to watch, but it looks like I won't be anyways, so it's all good.

And I am absolutely looking for rank 7 titles, and haven't found any yet, Oni or otherwise. They don't appear to show up very often at all, which makes me sadfaced.

I don't remember when they started showing up for me. I was farming lvl 9999 dungeons before I even noticed them. None of the guides give me the levels needed for each rank to appear either.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Chapter 20
Island of Evil: Island of Evil: Mortality's End (20,1) [095]
Island of Evil: Hell's Appeal (20,2)[096]

So the next couple of fights are the end of this story arc.

So if you want to ensure that Marona wins, be sure to post your prayers for her and her team here! It works in jRPGs and Anime all the time, so it should work doubly so on the goon forums. I'm not going to tell you how to pray, exactly, just post it here.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Something that might make it easier to show off all the objects and units on the map. On a map, if you go to the menu where you can quit or exit the game, there is an option called "character List". This will give you a full list of every unit and object on the map, including confined phantoms and their equipment. This is how you view enemies' equipped items' stats. I use it to quickly survey all objects on the floor in a random dungeon before i decide whether to stay and grab some stuff or just use return.

• Locked thread