Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

akkristor posted:

I've played through more times than i'd like to count, and even got myself the Yoshitsuna. If you have any questions that Mastersord can't answer, I probably can. I also should still have the PDF copy of the Double-Jump strategy guide for the PS2 version handy. It's remarkably useful.

We worked our asses off on that thing.

golden bubble posted:

Good luck, you'll need it. To quote the Disgaea: D2 thread, it was worth getting a PhD Physics candidate to write the official strategy guide.

To be fair, we had three guys. Harbick was in charge of crunchy math stuff, Iaian Ross was in charge of cracking the game over his knee, and I wrote the basics section and edited the manuscript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sethimothy posted:

I'm kind of honored that someone who worked on the strategy guide is in this thread. Did you have any major hiccups in making the thing, or any moments where you wanted to beat your head against the wall? Did you get any help from the publishers at all, or were you pretty much on your own?

It was twelve years ago (...it was twelve years ago :gonk:), so a lot of it's faded by now. It was the first book we made in what became the company's house style, with the smaller size, tiny text, and multiple writers, so there were some growing pains here and there, particularly since we were all FAQ guys and I was the only one with a writing background. I remember it took me quite a while to proofread the manuscript because so much of it is charts, and this was in 2004, so we were doing all our coordination via a private, old-school PHP message board.

I'd need to go back and look up the specifics, but I remember there was some elaborate fusion combo that somebody came up with within a day or two of the game's release in North America that made a couple of our strategies redundant. We were kind of thrilled with ourselves for coming up with the Blob grenade, where you could stick a combination of abilities on one of those so it would arrive, explode, attack, expire, and explode again, but I distinctly remember that there was a slightly more elaborate combination that you could use to dispose of enemies that would otherwise have been deliberately impossible to beat. There's some math quirk with how Confinement explosions calculate their damage that make them hit way above their weight, and we just never thought to try it.

NIS America has always been pretty easy to work with, although like I said in the D2 thread, it's got the same problem that a lot of localization houses do: all the people who actually know the ins and outs of the game are invariably in Japan. If you have any questions you usually have to get them translated and sent over there, then translated back, and hope to God it still makes sense afterward. (This was a bigger problem on D2 because the English localization team had such a free hand with the script, so a bunch of stuff like item names were drawing on a different pop-culture reference pool between versions.) They were still pretty happy to play ball, and I've since worked with companies that were a lot less cooperative.

Ironically, American/Canadian companies are usually harder to work with on guide projects, because you're typically writing the game's guide at the same time as they're trying to go gold, so anyone at the company who could answer your questions usually has about a hundred other things on his/her plate that are more important than you are, and there's a non-trivial chance that a bunch of what you're doing could be invalidated overnight when they decide to push a new version through. Conversely, by the time you've come aboard on a Japanese title, the game's usually been done for months and your biggest problem is if they decide to tweak the translation after the fact.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

sethimothy posted:

You remember or rediscover that combo, you let me know and I'll try it out. I did read your slime fusion idea, which I admittedly would have never tried before but seems like a pretty solid idea. I'm kind of surprised it wouldn't work about as well for a Bottle Mail?

The old message board is down, but apparently it's related to the same trick people use to power-level on 3-2. You can gimmick a Titlist's Big Bang to do a pretty insane amount of damage, since its output is based upon some fraction of the phantom's maximum HP rather than a pure contrast of stats vs. levels.

The point of using a Blob as a grenade is that it has a Remove of 1, so it's a burst-damage trick. It gets one action, then blows up on everything around it.

• Locked thread