Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
This was my first NiS game, and like a lot of NiS games I'm eternally grateful that someone else is playing through it instead of me. I gave up a couple chapters ago, and am really looking forward to seeing how the (ever-so-slightly drip-fed) plot plays out. My heartfelt thanks for going through it.

(Granny obviously has to be named Clicker)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Signposts, treasure chests and minecarts with their own unique (albeit small) movesets. Picking up dragons, pointing them at the enemy and using them as flamethrowers. HELL CORGIS.

Phantom Brave was my favourite NIS game for a lot of reasons, but I think the biggest one is the sheer variety. Disgaea-style games were always goofy by their very concept (throwing allies across the map, say), and I prefer this game's down-to-earth goofiness to the over-the-top goofiness from the other games.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

We hear you, Castille. We hear you.

Given Canary, Hamm and now the disturbingly-adorable Bijou, it seems like this game's story is heavy into delayed gratification. Pretty much leading up to Forestia it was a bunch of unrelated, largely-unfulfilling setup, and now it seems like they're eager to do stuff with it.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

sethimothy posted:

Like, almost everyone who posted more than once in this thread had a unit named after them for that final battle. Hopefully you don't mind. If you do, well, too late now.
That was so incredibly corny and I found it way more engaging than I probably should have.

Congrats on LPing through the main game. NIS games aren't gentle to LP by any means, but it was a joy to watch along. Normally postgames in the Disgaea-likes seem kind of silly and low-content, but then, they also don't usually contain an entire alternate story. Unless you count Soul Nomad, I guess. I'm looking very forward to seeing where it goes.

Wiffle posted:

Putties are the best race so it's nice that I got one :cool:
Putty supremacy :respek:

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't catch it until the post-credits scene, but God Eryngii sounds suspiciously like a generic bottlemail, just in case he wasn't un-menacing enough already. Alas that I can't find Bottlemail's voice actor in the credits roll.

Anyway, I can't think of Another Marona as anything other than a dumpster fire. The translation was godawful, it was hopelessly padded, and the plot was abysmal - utterly cliche, fueled pretty-much entirely by characters being cagey and cryptic right to the final cutscene, and with the most scatter-shot approach to "character development" I've seen in a long time. Thanks very much for trudging through it. I can only hope that the EX battles were done by whoever wrote/translated the main story instead of that one.

• Locked thread