Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I freaking LOVE this game. I still have my PS2 copy, and my steam copy.

I've played through more times than i'd like to count, and even got myself the Yoshitsuna. If you have any questions that Mastersord can't answer, I probably can. I also should still have the PDF copy of the Double-Jump strategy guide for the PS2 version handy. It's remarkably useful.

And Marona is the sweetest damned necromancer in all of fiction.

Edit:
I put the PDF of the strategy guide in my dropbox. Please name a Bottlemail after me!https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv86b68d69z8w63/PhantomBraveOSG.pdf?dl=0

akkristor fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

sethimothy posted:

Humor me, what goes into getting this? I'm assuming it's a high-tier sword, much like its namesake in other Nippon Ichi titles.

Thanks for the PDF! I've glanced through it, and... it makes my eyes glaze over, there's so much there. In return, I guess I'll have to hop around the map until I can miraculously get on that tree near the house... but once I do, a Bottlemail will be named after you! :O

Ok, the Yoshitsuna, or Divine Sword as Phantom brave calls it, takes a bit of explaining about the mechanics of Dungeon Monk dungeons. Take a look at pages 71 and 72 of the PDF (pages 138 to 141 of the physical book).

If you generate a random dungeon with at least 11 floors, and the enemy level on the final floor is at least 25, there is a chance, about 1 in 3, that the bottom floor will be a BOSS floor. That boss can wield any item, and there are a number of items that can ONLY be found on a Dungeon boss. The deeper the dungeon, the higher tier of items that can be found. There are two tricks to this. First, if you leave from the final floor and return, the boss will NOT have an item. Second, if you fuse a new title onto a dungeon, the number of floors will increase (and with it, the base and maximum enemy level). This means you can leave from the 2nd to last floor, save, go back in and clear it, and if it's not a boss (or has an item you don't care for), reload your save. If it is a boss, steal the item (this is where your BottleMails come in handy!), and don't kill the boss. Instead, return to phantom island, fuse a new title on, and repeat!

The Divine Sword can only be found on the boss of a 100-floor dungeon, and it has additional requirements. Specifically, you have to go through all 100 floors without returning to Phantom Island. No fusing new titles, no saving. 100-floors, about a 1/3 chance of even HAVING a boss, then you have to hope against hope that the boss is holding the ultimate sword. There are 30 different Boss-only weapons, and the bottom-floor boss can choose from ANY of them. The Divine Sword has the highest base stats of any sword, and is the only sword to teach Dimension Slash! Good luck!

I'm not sure if you've covered stealing yet. BottleMails are the best character type for stealing, having a very high base speed and STEAL stat. This means they can LIFT items off enemys fairly consistantly, but that doesn't mean you'll take the item home. A 2nd (and possibly more) BottleMail is needed to CONFINE into the item, and then when the BottleMail returns home, hopefully the item will come too! But, BottleMails are made of glass and very fragile! Literally the lowest base health in the game, I believe. One BottleMail can be found by stacking the inhabitants of Phantom Island on top of each other high enough (which will also net you some money and a Changebook!). To get more, you'll need to create a Random Dungeon with the enemy type Wierd, and kill as many of the glass bastards as you can until you've killed enough to make them on the island.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 14, 2016

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Pick your inhabitants up, and throw them on the roof of the house.

Jump up there yourself (you can get up from the back), and throw them to stack them on top of each other. All you have to do then is climb up.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I always enjoyed equipping Marona with an Hourglass weapon. It's massive speed boosts combined with speed based attacks let me clear most random dungeon floors without summoning a phantom, as my Marona was able to get 20+ turns for each turn an enemy took.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

sethimothy posted:

Chapter 4: A Friend (Introduction) [014]I'll also have to do a short bit on Titles and Titlists. That's not going to be easy, because titles in this game are just... difficult. I mean, it's really easy to see when a title plain out sucks (brown color palette is applied to whatever it is on) but there's actually a few bad titles that have solid uses.

One thing that people often overlook is that title can gain levels too.

If you attach a title to a random dungeon and progress through it, when you return to PI, the title may gain levels, gaining various stats, resistances, and even gaining new inherent skills. However, as the title gets better, so do the enemies within the title dungeon.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

sethimothy posted:

I should, at some point, also explain dark points, because they're really god awful outside of the ability a character can get for getting 100 of the darn things, but by then their stats have taken such a hit it's like what's the point?

Slimes, son!

Slimes have the best fusion compatibility with all classes.

Get those 100 DP on a slime, level the reward to 1, and fuse that slime into someone useful.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I've always liked the fact that the worst title is actually the most useful. Failure Dungeons and Failure Fusions really let you break this game wide open.

Once your DM has leveled up a bit more, you should try cycling through to find a dungeon with Weird enemies, get yourself an extra Bottlemail. You'll need one with a super high speed and/or quick strike for stealing boss items (Akkristor!), and then a few more with high speed + A speed boosting item + quick strike to confine into boss items and hopefully take them home. Hourglass boss items make a good choice (they have SPD based attacks), and you can also use weeds, trolleys, or anything with a speed boost. Reincarnation is your friend! Good to see Akkristor gaining a few levels there.

I noticed you were sliding around on the floor in that slippery dungeon. Ground-targetting abilities like Fire or Ice, ones that let you target freely inside their range rather than a fixed distance from the user, also let you position the user while targeting. This is a good way to get around slippery floors, since you don't slide while doing so.
On the other hand, by trying to get your character to move inches at a time, you can use the slippery floor to your benefit to gain more movement, with less control over your final destination.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I don't know if you're still using the PDF guide, but I managed to use Notepad++ to take out the ever-present hyperlinks. It makes it somewhat easier to navigate and faster to load.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv86b68d69z8w63/PhantomBraveOSG.pdf?dl=0

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

mastersord posted:

A note about special stages in random dungeons. If you stumble into a special stage (like that 2X money stage you showed off) and you leave (via Return), the next time you enter that dungeon, you will still be in that special stage. There are some very easy stages (such as "Lone <insert monster here>" or "Minor <monster> Team") where if you have the speed and steal stats, you can grab some VERY high-level items and make so much money that Marona could buy the entire island chain (if the game would let her)!

The exception to this is, of course, Boss items! If you leave a Boss stage and return, the Boss can't have a boss-only item.

I've been thinking on that whole "Buy the island" thing. Marona collects Bor as a chroma in two ways: slaying foes and completing jobs. But why does she get money when killing some random scrabbit or putty, and why can't she use it to pay off her island?
I think the answer is that Marona's battle winnings are not real Bor, but rather Phantom Bor. Think about it, Marona can take items back to Phantom Island that her Phantoms can use. She buys items from phantom merchants, and sells them back to them. Those items her phantoms use are Phantom items, and the Bor used to buy them, or create new phantoms, is all Phantom Bor.
Thats why she still does jobs to get money from clients. She can't buy her island with money only her Phantom friends can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

sethimothy posted:

I like this one a lot more because I can click on it without pulling up a webpage saying I should buy it. How upset would you be if I upload this somewhere (so it's not on your personal Dropbox) and shared it?

Doesn't bother me at all. I'm fairly sure most of those links on the old DJ page are all dead anyway.

• Locked thread