Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Help me figure out a mystery I've been wondering about for a few years now.

Back in ~2001 when I discovered the wild world of emulation and roms, I remember playing a turn based DBZ RPG for SNES. Anyone know what it was called? The rom I had was in French, and I don't speak French, but I remember getting pretty far.

I also remember playing a Dragon Ball visual novel in Japanese, but I didn't know what a visual novel was at the time, so I spent hours trying to get to the actual gameplay with no luck, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm gonna make a demon person named Worcestershire (or Alfredo if that doesn't fit) and he is gonna have fun fusing with everyone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Detective No. 27 posted:

Help me figure out a mystery I've been wondering about for a few years now.

Back in ~2001 when I discovered the wild world of emulation and roms, I remember playing a turn based DBZ RPG for SNES. Anyone know what it was called? The rom I had was in French, and I don't speak French, but I remember getting pretty far.

I also remember playing a Dragon Ball visual novel in Japanese, but I didn't know what a visual novel was at the time, so I spent hours trying to get to the actual gameplay with no luck, heh.
Legend of the Super Saiya-jin?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think that was it. I gotta revisit that game.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think that was it. I gotta revisit that game.

Yeah, it was legend of the super saiyan. It holds up pretty well even today. And these days you don't have loving awful French translations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

BenRGamer posted:

Well then I am mad at the OP.

Sorry I was just going by the info I could find about races from wikis. There wasn't a lot.

Once the game is actually out in the US I'll probably rewrite that whole section.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It feels so weird to get DBZ games in the US on a regular basis. Back in those days, you had to emulate, or get a mod disc to play the ps1 games. I was lucky enough to have Japanese neighbors with a Super Famicom, Hyper Dimension, and the Super Butoden games.

I remember for my birthday once, I had a choice between Legacy of Goku or a used SNES. In hindsight, I should have gone with the SNES. But, getting a brand new DBZ game without having to resort to semi illegal methods? It was an easy choice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a final version 1.1 patch to that game, so you won't be reading that awkward translation of decade past rom that most people know about. I plan on playing it when I am done with one of my other games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll play through that soon. I recently picked up a copy of Attack of the Saiyans on DS. It any good?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
still need to think of a name for my kaioshin

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll play through that soon. I recently picked up a copy of Attack of the Saiyans on DS. It any good?

yes it is super rad

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's a very solid traditional JRPG with nice pixel art and even though it's billed as a Saiyan Saga game, it begins pre-Z and they added quite a few original scenarios with OG Dragon Ball characters to pad it out, plus Broly for no reason. I think Yamcha's pretty beastly with the right equips, too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yamcha's wolf fang fist has a super high crit rate and you can find an item for him that boosts the damage he deals when he crits to like 250% iirc

tien's also really good because the tribeam hits like a truck

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So what's the in-universe reason that Broly seems to be presented as this fearsome unstoppable godkiller

I remember seeing the first movie and he was pretty nuts in that yeah but having him as a super boss feels kinda odd at this point when Goku can literally turn into a god.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So what's the in-universe reason that Broly seems to be presented as this fearsome unstoppable godkiller

I remember seeing the first movie and he was pretty nuts in that yeah but having him as a super boss feels kinda odd at this point when Goku can literally turn into a god.

he's a 'Legendary Super Saiyan' which is it's own transformation thing, so i guess it can be as threatening or as weak as they want it to be

really he's only ever powerful because he's a really huge muscly dude and the only noteworthy trait he has is "ME STRONG ME SMASH", so if he wasn't OP in some way he'd be worthless

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Because his gimmick is that he's the strongest and since he exists outside of continuity he will always be the strongest.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

his thing is supposed to be that his power level can increase constantly with no actual drawback or limit. His number is basically "Goes up the more he exists with no stopping"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I guess that's fair enough v:v:v

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

He's just Saiyan Hulk

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What I want to know is why they keep defaulting to his second movie brain-damaged characterization where the only thing he does is yell names and go Broly Smash.

At least in the first Broly movie he had a sort of aggressive rear end in a top hat wit about him that made him somewhat entertaining.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

What I want to know is why they keep defaulting to his second movie brain-damaged characterization where the only thing he does is yell names and go Broly Smash.

At least in the first Broly movie he had a sort of aggressive rear end in a top hat wit about him that made him somewhat entertaining.

Because him being an angry berserker better compliments his status as being the strongest.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The games also never get into the being barely reigned in by his dad aspect of his character which, while kind of a retread of the babidi/buu dynamic, was to me the most interesting thing about him.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what are the soft caps for stats in this game? I read in the last thread that it was like 45 or some such or Ki? As cool as having a bunch of stats in the 70's i'm not seeing much in the way of gains now other than health so I'm gonna use my first wish to respec and put all the points that were in Ki into Strike Supers on my Buu instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

The games also never get into the being barely reigned in by his dad aspect of his character which, while kind of a retread of the babidi/buu dynamic, was to me the most interesting thing about him.
the broly movie actually came out around the same time the buu saga was just starting in the manga, so I don't think they could have been influenced by that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kelp Plankton posted:

He's just Saiyan Hulk

His hair is even green when he transforms, just to make that a funnier comparison. Especially in whatever game it was that features a super saiyan 3 broly. They just don't even bother with the golden effect and make it this weird dark green.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I wasn't trying to imply they ripped it off or anything, just clarifying that while its not completely unique as far as villain dynamics in the series go it was my favorite aspect of the character. "Retreading" was a bad word to use really since i didn't actually know which came first.

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 15, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fair, no worries. also broly's cool because his fighting style's super brutal. plenty of dudes in DBZ have the Highest Power Level and make giant balls of death, but Broly just clotheslines people into rocks.

edit: also if they make android 13 dlc or put him into xenoverse 3, i want to learn the nut punch from him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

fair, no worries. also broly's cool because his fighting style's super brutal. plenty of dudes in DBZ have the Highest Power Level and make giant balls of death, but Broly just clotheslines people into rocks.

edit: also if they make android 13 dlc or put him into xenoverse 3, i want to learn the nut punch from him.

I'm still kind of hoping they'll bring out an Android racial choice with either cell or 13 type transformations for them. Visually it'd be kind of weird to have humans, saiyans and androids I guess.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

spit on my clit posted:

holy gently caress the final PQ :negative:

i got two of the top piece of the battle suit. drat it. least i got the stupid loving hair

I've gotten SO loving MANY HAIRS from that. I did it about 8 times now, finally got the suit except for the gloves, but I'm loving finished with it. I still can't beat both of them by the end. I got Goku to his last health bar a couple times but something happens when you take down Vegeta and he just becomes unstoppable.

Also, there's an Ultra called "Chain Destructo-Disc Barrage" that's pretty loving sweet. Every individual disc tracks, and they hit substantially hard and very consistently, especially if the AI has the enemy occupied. Far more consistent than any beam Ultra I've played with.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

New Leaf posted:

Also, there's an Ultra called "Chain Destructo-Disc Barrage" that's pretty loving sweet. Every individual disc tracks, and they hit substantially hard and very consistently, especially if the AI has the enemy occupied. Far more consistent than any beam Ultra I've played with.

I used this in Xenoverse 1 to cheese Freeza's super armor. It's an A+ move.

So, in Fusions, does the race you pick matter at all, besides having access to Super Saiyan on your player character?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what are the soft caps for stats in this game? I read in the last thread that it was like 45 or some such or Ki? As cool as having a bunch of stats in the 70's i'm not seeing much in the way of gains now other than health so I'm gonna use my first wish to respec and put all the points that were in Ki into Strike Supers on my Buu instead.

quote:

Why 76/124 in attack stats? Because thats the point when attack stats reach their soft cap, and the remaining 45 points will only be a 3.5% increase in damage instead of the 5% increase they normally should be due to how they interact with QQ bangs. As for strike/ki, that last point gives virtually no damage over 124 due to the hard cap on supers/ultimates.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So 76 then? At least i'm pretty close then!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
drat, and I just wasted my dragon balls on something else and I should have respec'd.

Has anyone on PC had any luck starting a second character without having to restart the game? I'd like to just have a dude that I can spec out differently and just level up using PQ's and fun outfits.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bamco announced the server situation will get better for next weeks raid. Whether that applies to the PC is anyone's guess. Possible release of the first DLC pack.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think if Dimps made an open-world type of game with the same flying, fighting, and create-a-character as Xenoverse, it would probably approach dangerously to being my ideal video game. I think the closest we've ever really gotten to a fully-functional Goku Simulator was Xenoverse and a DBZ MUD I used to play in middle school.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fist of the North Star: Xenoverse

edit: just replace "ki blasts" with "fighting aura" and it'd be perfect

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
There aren't any additional rewards in the XV2 PQs for finishing with Z Rank, right?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

That's why.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

There aren't any additional rewards in the XV2 PQs for finishing with Z Rank, right?

At minimum you need to finish all the Rank Quests with Z rank to get Potential unleashed

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always thought Broly was the Dragon Ball equivalent of an XTREME 90s comic book character. All he needs is a robot arm and a gun larger than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

ImpAtom posted:

At minimum you need to finish all the Rank Quests with Z rank to get Potential unleashed

I meant for PQs. I already know about the rank tests.

• Locked thread