Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Your HR department works for your boss. It's really that simple.

My dad could get a union rep to attend any meeting he had with his supervisor, which is really good if you have a boss who distorts what you say (intentionally or not) or makes empty promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah that's a real good one lol

I know I've already basically said this but I want to emphasize it: it blows my mind how many people my age don't really get what a union does for them. I've talked to lots of peeps, both irl and on this forum, who complained about unions doing nothing but taking money out of their paycheck. Most of them were left-leaning, too, and just thought that they had a "bad" union or that modern unions were something completely different from the old ones. Pretty much all of them never bothered to go to the union rep with any issues, or get involved in anything the union was doing, or hell even bothered to vote most of the time - It was basically just "another tax" as far as they were concerned, doing weird nebulous things at a large scale that they never see any direct result from. I think just getting it into people's heads that the union operates all the way down to an individual level for them personally, and not just as some large organization pushing general policy, would go a long way towards selling them on the idea.

My dad is a Boomer and teacher and constantly bitched that his union did jack poo poo for his 120 bucks per year while he enjoyed tenure and a bunch of other poo poo I could only dream about. Anecdotally, it's not just young people.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"Unions let incompetent workers stay employed" well buddy I got some news for you - every single business has a protected class of workers that get to be incompetent and keep their jobs. It's called "friends and family of management".

• Locked thread