Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fart of Darkness posted:

That reminds me of those libertarians trying to take over New Hampshire. Wouldn't a strategy of moving to wherever like minded people are just insulate and polarize people more?

You mean people moving to cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to complement Oracle's post on how to get into local office with one thing.

Join Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, Elks, Shriners, Freemasons, Order of the Eastern Star, P.E.O., or any kind of service organization of the sort. Whether your community is a small town, a suburb, or the beating heart of a major metropolitan area, many members of those organizations are also involved in government. They're a good ppace to meet people and doing service can also help you meet people from other organizations that know others.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Which of those are most welcoming to marginalized/minority peeps?

or my not-so veiled question - can a queer gal drive a little shriner car in the parade too?

The Freemasons and Shriners are pretty much male-only. The Order of the Eastern Star is affiliated with the Freemasons and was founded to include women in some way with the service done by the Freemasons. Its first chapter, [url=Queen Esther Chapter No. 1[/url], was founded with the sponsorship of the [url=]Prince Hall Affiliate[/url], the first Freemasons lodge made up of African-American members. Membership in OES hinges on having a marital or blood relation to a Master Mason or having been a member of Job's Daughters or Rainbow Girls.

Of the groups I named, P.E.O. is a women's organization that provides aid and education opportunities for women. They have chapters all over the US and Canada and are based in Des Moines. P.E.O. also owns and operates Cottey College, a women's liberal arts college in Missouri. Their website says that they do not discriminate based on age, ethnicity, education, or religion. There is no mention on their website about gender identity or sexual identity discrimination. If you look into P.E.O., be aware of that.

Kiwanis, Lions, Rotary, and the Elks allow members of both sexes. They don't have the same kind of history or traditions as the Freemasons and their sister organizations do, but there is a lot of overlap. The only one I can speak of with any experience is Kiwanis International. Their related organizations include Key Club International (high school) and Circle K International (college) and Aktion Club (an organization for people with disabilities). I was in Key Club for most of high school, had a brief stint as a Kiwanian in 2006, and was a member of Circle K for three years. Kiwanis, its sponsored organizations, and the others I mentioned focus on community service. Each chapter works on its local projects and also makes financial or service contributions to the larger organization.

The thing about these groups is that their membership is overwhelmingly old, white, and conservative. I have had relatives involved in the Freemasons, Shriners, and Order of the Eastern Star. If I wanted to get involved any of them, I'd be able to pretty easily. But, I refuse to join them because I don't like the idea of male-only organizations. The Kiwanis family used to be men-only, but allowed women as members in CKI in 1973, KCI in 1978, and finally in Kiwanis in 1987. I only joined Key Club in high school because my father was in it when he was in high school and I only started going to get him to shut up about me not being in any clubs in high school. I liked being involved in it and was in it until I finished high school. When I was in Circle K, I did serve as a lieutenant governor of my district and it gave me a very tiny piece of experience in running a bigger organization. I am so glad that I got to be a part of something like that. The biggest thing I learned while being on the district board was how to network with people. My mother is a member of her local P.E.O. chapter even though she has barely any post-secondary education. I always encourage women I meet that are struggling with funding for school to get in touch with P.E.O. and apply for any aid that they can with them. I received a scholarship one semester from the Shriner's Club that a lot of my relatives on my mother's side were members of.

But, when you're on the younger side of things and you join a group that is full of old white people, it feels like you're stepping into a time warp in the fifties. I encourage anyone that joins these organizations to remain as long as possible, especially if you're a minority. Sometimes the mere presence and regular association of different groups of people can be enough to win over an old white racist. The more minority members of these organizations, the more it can help turn over these bigots. It's hard, but it's not impossible. The other benefit of being in these organizations is that they are opportunities to network. Almost every politician that I have ever met were invited guests of my Kiwanis club. And there's a ton of overlap with these kinds of groups and politicians. Eisenhower and Kennedy were Elks Club members. Nixan and Truman were Kiwanians. And there's a million other organizations out there that I didn't mention. I only brought up those service groups because I have either been a part of them or have family that are. Get involved.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's crude as gently caress, but it gets the job done.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Quorum posted:

Trip report, I wasn't planning to march in the protest in my hometown but a good friend of mine was and so I ended up going along, and because he was in the front so was I. Good crowd, the local police are more good eggs than bad and spent most of their time chasing away drunk belligerent Trumpets and keeping traffic off the streets. Was good exercise and a fine time. Apparently I ended up on the news briefly, the Facebook page had a snippet of video and the comments were gross so I figure I personally pissed off some racists today. :)

If I end up on the news or if anyone asks me my name and I don't know them, I'm telling them that my name is Arthur Gordon Pym.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm getting heckled for going to the Women's March in Denver by people who are going "oh look now you people decide to protest after Trump gets elected. Twitter school of activism lol". I don't even know what the retort for that even is beyond imagining what that person's face looks like with my fist buried in it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rah! posted:

Nice, and yeah gently caress that one guy.

The best chant at the SF march was "hands too small, can't build a wall"

We were singing that one in Denver, too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Meanwhile, back at home, a scene that needs to be made.

WATCH: Locals protest Dakota Access Pipeline at Riverton Wells Fargo

County10 posted:

HAPPENING NOW: Locals are at Wells Fargo Bank in Riverton where they are protesting against Wells Fargo's support of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

Multiple news outlets have recently reported Wells Fargo, among other banks, have assisted in the funding of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

On Tuesday, President Trump signed executive orders to advance construction of the Dakota Access pipeline and the Keystone XL pipeline. Read more here.

Law Enforcement is present during the protest. Watch the protesters below.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How in the gently caress am I going to get a DSA chapter started in Wyoming when I move back home this weekend and I'm not in Casper, Cheyenne, or Laramie?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That tweet is forever going to rile up people on the left when we've already learned that it's a bullshit story.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/womensmarch/status/839547361949061120

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm from a family of cops and firefighters.

I can never be allowed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing.

I dunno. I guess my relatives have desensitized me to the hatred of law enforcement and I'm unwilling to disown my family for their racist views and occupations.

• Locked thread