Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BlueBlazer posted:

4x6

Find one of these,

they fairly common in shipping departments/warehouses/stock rooms

Make an Account -

https://www.ups.com/one-to-one/regi...s%3Floc%3Den_US

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/docs/labels.html

Get a roll

Get to printing, need technical how to on how to print? ask.

Thermal paper is a terrible idea for something that's going to be outside all the time though, the sun will turn it solid black within hours.

e: Actually I'm assuming this is the same kind of thermal paper as receipt paper and that's probably not right since shipping labels generally survive intact despite being left in the sun plenty so never mind!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hi I'm a Young Person and am a senior programmer which is very individualistic and has vast skill differences between people. This also means that judging people's output is also fairly subjective (unless it's obviously terrible or they're just not working or something) and leaves a ton of grey area for biases to worm their way into management's decision process. I frankly do not trust people, even people I totally respect, to consistently rank similar work objectively without a whole host of subconscious poo poo and I personally feel that a seniority-based system would absolutely be fair unless the person was clearly not doing their job. Even in my highly ~specialized~ line of work, experience is super valuable to a company.

I do agree that unions probably can't be saved due to automation but the answer to that is massive economic structural changes in where capital is concentrated, guaranteed minimum income that allows everyone to live a comfortable life automatically and getting rid of our entrenched societal belief that people must work 40 hour work weeks to have value to society. I also think unions are very worth supporting until that's a reality, though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

remember if you don't have a trade-specific union open to you and you don't have the resources to organize one, you can join the iww

I legit did not know this and was stewing over tech nerds' collective inability to think about anyone other than themselves or organize like, at all, thanks!

Stinky_Pete posted:

Oh I'm sure people were saying similar things during the Gilded Age

Bertrand Russell, for instance

I'm not saying all jobs will evaporate but we're much closer to the point where we can automate basically all low-skilled labor than we were in the Gilded Age.

Or maybe we've been living in a post-scarcity world since the 1920's and the rich are just hiding it from us :tinfoil:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tias posted:

After I posted my memoirs from the Copenhagen youth house riots in the milhist thread, two posters have contacted me asking for advice on how to conduct first aid, make protection and organize for protests turning violent.

Would there be interest in a longer effort post about protective gear, organizing affinity groups and other tactics for street protest? I won't bother if no one's going to read it :effort:

I'd certainly read it, I have a friend who really wants to bash some fash and I'm worried he's just going to wind up dead or in prison and he's really set on the idea so i might as well try some harm reduction :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I could go on forever. The American people only care about easily accessible over simplified little bites of info about any issue and making little feel good buzzwords to describe a position fits perfectly into that mindset. It's unfortunate that the left should have to play that game too, but nuanced, thought out arguments doesn't work in the public sphere.

I mean we had the "Affordable Care Act" which everyone loved and was in support of, unlike that stupid failure Obamacare

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I forgot to say thanks for this writeup earlier when i read it so... thanks for this writeup :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Actually on the topic of protest tactics, you mentioned cell phones during planning stages but I think a good thing to add would be to take the battery out of your cell phone before you even get to the protest, since police can (and have in the past) use devices like the Stingray to monitor everyone in the area and see who they all are even if they don't make any calls or use the phone, just if it's on. I'd say leave the cell phone at home but it would probably be a bad idea to be completely without communication devices if a super serious emergency happened and you need help...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I don't know what protests you guys are going to that that sort of thing is necessary, but yikes.

Cops deploy stingrays pretty often, much more often than most people realize (because you don't know they've done it, it's just a little box with an antenna in a van somewhere out of sight) and generally it only comes out that it's in use once they decide they need to prosecute some people and magically pull a list of everyone that was at a protest out of thin air.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tias posted:

Jamming phone and internet at protests where the police wants 'order'( ie. media blackout) is more or less the norm in developed countries now. As late as the Standing Rock protests, military signals were called on, using both fake masts and DRTBX-type jammers to destroy phone power and hack phones respectively( I.. think? Not sure what the Dirtbox does).

Hm, I wonder if it would be helpful to make some kind of alternate communication system, like radio links on bands they don't usually jam to get network connections into the thick of the protest via alternate means... I've been thinking about ways my dumb electronics hobby could be put to good use too...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You would need some method of encoding it as broadcasting over unencoded radio would probably not be advisable.

Oh yeah it would probably just be an encrypted point to point link but sent over a, uh, novel frequency or other media. I'm guessing the jammers aren't wide-band enough to block the entire spectrum and probably just block 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz and the GSM bands so if you use something in the other ISM bands it should get through... I don't know how practical this is at all though I'm just sort of thinking out loud.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Is anyone here organizing with any of these Indivisible groups that have sprung up?

I'm wondering if like my local group they're all not planning on running or supporting alternative candidates if their reps don't listen?

Seems like the name "indivisible" would imply they wouldn't want to run alternative candidates but who knows

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sup Tampa bro. I heard about that but the way local NPR reported it was "all but 3 speakers supported replacing the law" so it sounded much more depressing, and they ended with "but he says his position was not changed though he appreciated hearing ~differing opinions~"

Also while I'm thinking about it you got any leads on stuff to do in Tampa? I'm calling reps and donating and such but I've never really gotten involved in person before and don't really know where to start...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Hey bud!!! And what the actual gently caress, NPR? :sigh:

I'm 99% sure they misspoke and meant "all but 3 people didn't support it" or something, though they still sorta did the usual NPR thing of couching it in "neutral" terms and eugh. Whatever, good to hear they were wrong :3:

Kekekela posted:

I've been unable to find any DSA/Indivisible etc orgs closer than Orlando and have just been working with the local Dem orgs. We moved from downtown out to Pasco several years back, and mostly are involved with the groups out here now. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to hook up and hit events out this way!

While down there my wife was pretty involved with the South Tampa Democratic Club and recommends them highly. "She's awesome!" was her comment on the contact person, Jane Gibbons (gibbjane54 at the gmails).

Cool, thanks!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Marketplace, which is technically APM but is broadcast on NPR, went completely out of its way to bash minimum wage increases at any chance they got. We are talking about self contradictory stuff, like a story about a city that increased the minimum wage, where they interviewed a business owner on the next town over about how she couldn't hire anyone because everyone went to work at the city with the higher wage, and a business owner from the city with the higher wage, about how she had to fire a bunch of people because she couldn't afford workers anymore.

I distinctly remember when the news broke about Wells Fargo's widespread, systemic consumer fraud problems they had a guy on who talked only of how he thought it was so unfortunate that this one bad apple would give all the other poor innocent banks a bad name, since they're definitely not doing anything like this honest please don't add any regulations or investigate anything take my word for it.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Again, it's useful to make a distinction when talking about public radio, because there's actually a lot of different production houses that make stuff for it and they're all slightly different. APM makes Marketplace, and they're probably the most neoliberal in outlook. NPR does so many programs it's hard to classify, I'd put them on the "Effete liberal but maybe both sides have a point" area of the spectrum but they also produce or distribute a lot of more genuinely progressive programming. PRX and PRI mostly do what I'd frame as infotainment programming rather than hard news and consequently they are all over the center of the map politically.

Either way, among broadcast outlets public radio is usually the place to find the least biased, most informed news programs so it's worth not writing it off entirely.

One of my two (!) local NPR stations also carries Democracy Now! which is the farthest left thing I've ever heard on the radio, so it balances out :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Strongly disagree with the above.

Which part, because I liked the part about assigning his actions to the republican party rather than him personally so they can't weasel around the fact that they're the reason he exists and continues to exist.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

With nonviolent protests you can get pictures like this that will spread through the media and make a lot more people aware of what you're doing and how bullshit the other side is:

gently caress I don't even remember what these people were protesting but I automatically agree with them more than I agree with Fat Mace Cop

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

This is hilarious given your argument.

I very carefully said what you're doing and not why you're doing it :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

How are the peaceful protests at DAPL working out?

They rerouted it on Dec. 5th in response to protests so... not... bad? Like I know it's all gone to poo poo since then but it's not like they had no effect.

e: Okay "not bad" is probably too generous, "not as bad but still very bad"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SOME PIG posted:

How many Soldiers/Marines/Airmen/Sailors are really going to be able to pull the trigger against their own countrymen, family members, friends, etc.?

Lol like, all of them - don't worry the military knows how to wipe that pesky morality and hesitation squeaky clean from our soldiers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Just got back from our local dems meeting where the county supervisor of elections was speaking.

Really impressed with the continued turnout and enthusiasm. There's a planned protest about to be going down outside our congressman's office in addition to continued strong attendance at town halls etc. Also specifically directed people to 5calls.org, and an upcoming meeting of indivisible (which leadership has already been attending).

Local NPR reported that that death panels guy was forced to resign, good job :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kekekela posted:

He's referring to this rear end in a top hat: https://thinkprogress.org/bilirakis-town-hall-aca-death-panels-71c85ae831f8#.ne6bebn6n

I also really liked this bit from the one in Wesley Chapel this week:

http://wlrn.org/post/crowd-has-more-say-third-bilirakis-town-hall

Yeah they played a clip of that bit and he sounded really loving pissed to have to say it it was great :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh also my mom sent me some pictures, she apparently went to a protest last weekend. She's 68 and old enough to have attended protests against Nixon and Vietnam (where she got tear gassed on the whitehouse lawn) and was friends with some of the founders of the Students for a Democratic Society, so I think it's real neat that she's still going :kimchi:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fiction posted:

Do you know literally anything about the left movement in the US or are you intentionally dense.

*is gerrymandered to the point where my vote counts 1/3 as much as a republican's* Obviously the left is just not trying hard enough geez :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/836231515432419328

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Foreploy posted:

Yeah, totally, but I think you have to stay within the party structure to have a chance to affect it. Abstaining and holding oneself apart doesn't get you much - even Sanders knows that, from how he managed his affairs with the Democrats for decades.

Does "primary the gently caress out of everyone until they're terrified" count as "abstaining" because I think that's what we're saying to do

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Manic X posted:

Just from my experience; I think the key to advancing the agenda is to check the language that you use.

The moment a leftist person resorts to calling someone a racist or a bigot because someone does not agree with you on everything puts others on the defence. Once this happens you've lost the argument as that person will leave feeling insulted and be thinking more about how much they don't like as opposed to considering your argument.

Do you actually know people IRL who do this because this sounds like a strawman thing that the right portrays the left as doing way more than the left actually does.

Manic X posted:

There also needs to be less drama made of certain kinds of speech. Even comedians who are paid to be controversial feel like they are treading on eggshells. There is a difference between making a joke and actually meaning something (i.e. PewdiePie) - I don't really like PewdiePie very much and his nazi-related humor was a little distasteful, but it's clear he was expressing his style of humor and did not actually have an agenda to kill Jews.

Nah PewDiePie had been spiraling out of control for a while before the nazi thing, like he was making bizarre conspiracy videos and thought youtube and a number of other outlets were out to get him, that was just the last straw. Also he was employed by goddamn Disney, his brand of humor needs to not include nazis.

Manic X posted:

While I was at University, there were also many petitions to prevent right-wing speakers coming in for silly things like a throw-away comment from 8 years ago. If you do not create the platform for debate, change cannot happen without aggression.

Did those petitions succeed? Because the petitions themselves are also part of the "debate". And from what I can tell the only people the left is super-duper trying to keep from speaking at universities right now are Milo, a certifiably Bad Person, and some TERF feminists.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/BlkMenForBernie/status/836056881671987200

Burn the democratic party to the ground and salt the ashes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goon Danton posted:

I decided to call the PA Democratic Party, and they're saying Groen didn't say it at all.

e: they also mentioned a spot he had on msnbc about the election over the weekend, and implied (but didn't outright say) he contradicts it there

Eh okay sorry for passing on ~fake news~

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Manic X posted:

gently caress off jackass; you know I didn't come on here to lecture; I came here to provide a view point from my experience. I entered this thread to give advice on the prevailing attitude. Assholes like you are the problem. Seriously you will help the cause if you stay in your basement. The cause needs genuine people and not smug cretins like you. If you use this attitude against genuine opponents you might as well talk to a wall as they will have laughed you out the room.

Um you're not ~respectfully disagreeing~ here obviously you're censoring us right now by telling us to stay in our basements

Manic X posted:

I understand the mindset of right wing people as I used to be one until I realised how wrong our view of the world was. I now strive for a legal equality where people do not feel oppressed because of things out of their control. Pretending to be intelligent makes you seem stupid.

Sounds like you're still a right wing egalitarian tbqh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Actually while you're here please tell us more about the real issues "genuine people" such as yourself fight for since "pussies" like us are obviously doing it wrong by not being sexist enough or something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Manic X posted:

You know what I'm doing now? I'm in Vietnam in an education advisor role (in a small province tbf) where I have just achieved the first recognised women's teacher day. Previously, there was only a generic teachers day and men's teachers day. But I campaigned against my employer to raise the wage of women (which he did a little albeit not to the same level of men which I am still vocal about). Here, inequality is far worse than western countries. Those who breed negativity instead of fight on the frontlines like I am doing in a communist (dictatorship). '

I'm not sure what your point is with this post, right now I'm interpreting it as you think we only exist in forum form and never actually go out and do anything useful which is... kinda the entire point of this thread? I mean credit where credit's due I genuinely think you did A Good Thing, congrats, but I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

Manic X posted:

Keep this attiutude and you will achieve nothing becuase change occurs gradually. If you're expecting an immediate overhaul you are deluded and do not undertand social constructs at all.

Yeah MLK was all about that gradual change

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

This is a good example for why violence won't work. Slavery was already on the way out before the Civil War but instead of a gradual elimination of slavery, we forced change. What happened? Jim Crow, segregation, Lost Cause, etc. In many ways, we're still fighting the Civil War. If we had just let nature take its course and allowed for another generation, three tops, of chattel slavery we'd be living in a better world now. You have to think in the long term -- justice is a marathon, not a sprint.

Thanks Booker T. Washington

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Manic X posted:

You are creating a fallacy in your argument by assuming that because I believe in free speech that it means I must agree with everything any will say. My argument is if people don't feel comfortable to come out with their opinions then how can we change a persons mindsets?

No, you said that you were angry with your dad for being an idiot, but then you calmed down and now just disagree with him. This is the big problem I have with a lot of people who want this weird modern version of "free speech" - it winds up translating into "you're not allowed to express strong emotion against incredibly bad, actively harmful ideas because that might have a chilling effect and speech should be wholly free of any kind of responsibility or consequence."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.R.610, DeVos' education bill, not only introduces vouchers and turns education funding into a block grant program, but begins the rollback of the free and reduced school lunch program. This is a good time to familiarize yourself with the history of the BPP, especially their community programs like the Breakfast Program.

Here there's a bill working its way through the state legislature to cut back on reduced lunch. The news reported it as denying 300,000 at-need kids reduced-price lunch, then immediately cut to the lead sponsor of the bill saying "I've studied the situation a lot and I feel this will make no noticeable impact" :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Knock Every Door, if you're all about getting yelled at/yelling at old boomer shits right there on their front stoops.

Does this actually work like, at all? Is there any modern science behind it, because nobody I know likes talking to people who come door to door and definitely not people who come door to door trying to change their political opinions.

Shbobdb posted:

the Democratic Party is the party of sane capitalism

Personally, I'm going to keep breaking storefront windows because that's awesome. But boring people can do boring forms of activism. I support that.

Man you sure do have an incredibly milquetoast vision for the future to be breakin' windows over friend

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, it works, and, it can be extremely effective.

Here's an analysis from the 2010 UK general election: http://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-does-door-to-door-campaigning-work-36075

Here's a more complex analysis from 1999 about GOTV canvassing that shows a 15% increase in turnout after contact from a campaign rep: http://www.pnas.org/content/96/19/10939.full

Here's a long, but very interesting article about the effort to shift perspectives on LGBTQ issues with door-to-door campaigning: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/10/magazine/how-do-you-change-voters-minds-have-a-conversation.html

Moreover, it makes you a better political operative. Actually talking to people in person with differing viewpoints is the best possible way to find holes in your own arguments, find the best ways to reach people and incorporate the perspective of the people you're trying to affect.

It's not necessarily the most efficient thing you can do, but I think it's something everyone should try.

Well okay, though I still have my doubts on the effectiveness of "yelling at boomers" doing anything besides getting them to remember to vote against you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you're knocking on people's doors to get up in their poo poo and argue with them, you should stop immediately and seek help.That's not what canvassing is. It's not even what civic engagement is, and it's not effective or constructive. If you want to rage against the machine, go organize or join a mass action.

Okay but that's what Knock Every Door sounded like from the previous (probably entirely sarcastic and I'm just missing it) post I was originally replying to

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

You're literally the only person citing "yelling at boomers". In fact the post I'm pretty sure your yelling quote came from, was about being yelled at BY boomers on their own front porch, when you go canvassing/educating.

It said being yelled at by / yelling at, neither of them seem particularly useful or worthwhile :shrug:

Veyrall posted:

Yeah, no, Knock Every Door means you go to various places and meet with people there to get an actual roadmap of what issues are important where and to whom. There's no need to even express your own political opinion, and it's probably better if you don't.

Well okay :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coyo7e posted:

no, you didn't.

What? Of course I didn't, the original post I quoted did, hence "it" :psyduck:

coyo7e posted:

you're lying, in order to make both sides seem equivalent.

And then making a stand on that lie, and then deflecting.

What sides are you even talking about, what am I doing that involves lying I wasn't even aware that I was making a stand :psypop:

coyo7e posted:

Please, move along and come back with something else.

Okay :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just to clear the air:

1) I don't think yelling at boomers and being yelled at by boomers are equivalent at all and I'm sorry that I inadvertently implied that. I know this kinda sounds like "I'm sorry you were offended :smug:" but I don't really know what else to say about it because I honestly didn't mean to do that
2) Now that people have responded about Knock Every Door specifically I no longer think it's about yelling at boomers and agree that it looks neat and is not counterproductive

• Locked thread