Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What value is there in local third parties currently? Not "let's run a useless candidate every four years and do nothing else" third parties, but ones that, in theory, actually do things? I was talking about getting involved in local politics and someone recommended I start a local Peace and Freedom Party group (there isn't one in the Fresno area yet apparently), but given the current situation I'm thinking just joining the local Democrats and trying to pull things further left would be more successful and worthwhile. Is there any reason to do the former instead? It seems like it'd be a lot more effort, what with having to build from the ground up for the most part, for questionable benefit.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Hey all, here's my advice for those just starting out, and what, in my experience, has and hasn't worked. I hope you find it helpful, and I'm happy to answer any questions you've got!

This is great. Thanks for all this. I'm going to try to check out those books when I get the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Fargle posted:

Pulling the Democrats further left now, as they're rebuilding after Hillary, is going to be infinitely more effective and useful than any third party advocacy you do in the current American political situation.

That's what I figured. Given that the party seems to already be moving left, what with Ellison being the most likely new head of the DNC and all, it seems like going for a third party instead of trying to affect one of the two major ones, particularly in a state like California that's already relatively liberal (even if the area I live in particular is kind of purple), would be a waste of time and passing up a huge opportunity. Felt like it was worth asking anyway though, if for no other reason than to get that question out of the way early.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, IRV is a good thing. I wish it (and STV or something similar for representatives) saw more use. Not sure how successful pushing for either would be, but it, particularly the latter, would help with how lovely things are. STV or something in particular would help kill gerrymandering.

Which is part of why we're not likely to see it, really. Well, that and an amendment being needed for it on the national level; I think the states might be able to implement it if they want though?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm planning on getting involved locally soon (wanted to get started sooner, but getting used to things after moving, depression, and the search for a job have complicated things), and intend to visit the local county Democrat office on Wednesday, as well as join some of the local Democratic clubs. I'm in Fresno, California; is anyone here familiar with the local party and what they're like? I talked to a woman on the phone and it sounded like they're:
  • Serious about fighting Trump (she mentioned the importance of winning 2018 elections because of the 2020 census, and also that they've been "working nonstop since January" or something)
  • Extremely overworked and understaffed
So. We'll see how that goes I guess. Looking at their site and the site of associated Dem clubs in the area they don't seem like outwardly bad Dems at least. Still, any information and assistance would be appreciated.

• Locked thread