Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, maybe it's just because of the context of what he'd call the "traditional left," but that sounds far too intelligent to have come out of Bill Maher's mouth. He's the favourite person of every incredibly smug liberal I know who just want to call Trump supporters morons and are violently allergic to any etiology of why they feel the way they do.

Seconding this, maher is an idiot and also a douchebag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

It's really frustrating talking about unions with neoliberals. They all seem to have the exact same stance as your average Republican: That unions are bad, violent, and are not necessary anymore. How do these people expect for workers to be able to act as a countervailing force against corporations and concentrated power? I'm sure unions have their problems and I'm sure there is always going to be work todo, but you don't abolish government because it has its flaws. You don't outlaw religion because the Catholic church protected kiddy-touchers. You don't do away with police because they like shooting black people. You work to fix problems in these very important systems. You don't just demolish the system and pretend you're better off. It's just interesting that the only one they are for demolishing just happens to be the one that helps empower the powerless.

:anarchists: for real though, a lot of good ideas have been written specifically about tearing poo poo down and starting fresh with different methods. They're not that far fetched, you just have survive the initial military invasion. I would argue that some things cannot be reformed: states are inherently racist and bad, for example.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Anarchists don't have an issue with expertise or other people running things. For example, "in the case of boots, I submit to the expertise of a bootmaker". The main difference, the way I see it at least (and 4 other anarchists will give you 4 other answers as was said earlier), is that these 'military experts' have full knowledge that if their soldiers think they've crossed a line, they're gonna get Jim'd. The same goes for the representatives that represent your community in the democratic confederation or whatever. They probably won't get Jim'd, but it's not a representative democracy thing where you vote every 5 years and are stuck with that person. If the power goes to their head and they start doing poo poo that isn't in the community's best interest they are out on their rear end.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Veyrall posted:

There's nothing inherently racist about being a cop, it's just that decades of racial insensitivity compounded with a concerted effort by racists and zealots to get their own in has currently tainted an unfortunate amount of police departments.

I can speak from experience that the Biloxi PD is serious about making sure that their officers deeply respect and care for the community, and are zealous about wearing and activating body cams in order to document and curtail possible abuses of power. I know this sounds like #notallcops but if we alienate members of law enforcement this early on, we risk pushing them towards the Regime's philosophies that problems can only be solved by brute force tribalism instead of concerted coordination between the disparate groups.

Cops are the private army of the ruling class and will do anything to uphold the law even if it's wrong. Some may quit, but most probably won't. Those who will quit over this poo poo will be more likely to have already quit over the loving awful things they've been doing so far. This is why ACAB as a group.

• Locked thread