Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HorseLord posted:

I maintain that liberals aren't to be trusted because their relation to the struggle is completely different than ours. They're happy to say they're on your side until you inconvenience them, and they absolutely hate it when you point this out. Their value system is different, so many of them are incapable of seeing antifascism as anything other than violating the right of another group to voice an opinion.

They are not allies, sure, but they can be potential coalition members. Sure they don't have your back reliably in all instances, but they can be worked with towards some shared goals, and if kept focused on those goals you might be able to engage them in support for other goals. Progress is progress and if you can't win on the back of firm allies, it's time to see what goals you can make a winning coalition with, and maybe work to convince coalition members to become allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HorseLord posted:

Fargle a key part of organizing effectively is how to approach liberals, to be aware of the risks of doing so and take precautions, to handle them properly. I'm a little suspicious that this is hurting your feelings.

Then talk about warning signs and what they mean for how to approach them, what to approach them for, how to keep their buy-in, and things they're likely to leave you hanging on. This is a thread for functional advice on how to do things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

You know, that Trump isn't advocating for anything the Ku Klux Klan is representing right? It just happens to be that the Ku Klux Klan might also oppose (illegal) immigration which Trump is also opposing. Trump probably hates them just as much as you or me. Trump isn't a fascist.

You got proof for any of those or just wishful thinking that smells like it's fresh from your colon? Because I seriously doubt that anyone that pals around with and hires Bannon hates fascism or the KKK.

Also, people's personhood is non-negotiable, full stop.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The USSR wasn't more capable in the specific ways that actually mattered to this election. It's not a new thing but modern communications and nongovernmental groups give a lot more means to publicize huge amounts of private communication.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

One thing I noticed, in my state, where we had candidates running for almost every position, it wasn't easy to figure out who to vote for in non-partisan races.

One of my friends found a GOP list and basically just voted opposite.

I did this as well, I'm in a red county and they did a much better job of marking who they support.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The red text fairy has a political bent that I would probably describe as "the most milquetoast liberalism ever"

The intersection between that red text and other ones formatted the same way to do with issues of race is pretty hilarious (the red text fairy in question seems to be an avid, if intellectually dishonest, reader of race related threads).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

As an anarchist turned communist, leftcom might be something that anarchists can agree on. No nations, just worker councils all the way to the top.

Yeah, that's probably a not unreasonable approach to the task. Anarchism seems like a first step towards something without the something being particularly fleshed out, and to be more compelling I think that the end goal needs the same scrutiny and development as other systems' goals receive.

I think that there would have to be serious efforts to rebuild societal expectations so that there's much greater involvement and a greater expectation of power and reward being decoupled, if that's even possible, otherwise hierarchies will form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I think by the point you're including Stalin, demsoc is a less appropriate appellation than necromancer.

• Locked thread