Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

HorseLord posted:

That's a bit different than what I was talking about. A key part of organizing effectively is how to approach liberals, to be aware of the risks of doing so and take precautions, to handle them properly. If you don't, well, history shows us what happens.

The same could be said of marxist-leninists. How about posting something useful like what to bring to a demo and how to stay safe or tips on dealing with tear gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

The people at standing rock are looking for any supplies you can spare.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Toph Bei Fong posted:

(church stuff)

To add to this, aside from christian churches there may be other religious communities doing charitable work in you area, such as mosques, synagogues and gurdwaras that might be only too happy for folks to pitch in, even if they're not counted among the faithful. If nothing else you can help to direct those in need towards these services being offered. The same goes for food banks and homeless shelters -- they shouldn't be necessary but for many folk they are, and if a homeless or poverty-stricken person gets a meal or a place to sleep it's all to the good.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

There are some elements of the radical left trying to get a US-wide national general strike on the go starting on inauguration day, January 20th, but I don't know if it's getting enough traction outside of far left circles to be a thing.

For those in the UK, Nige is pulling a Moseley and marching on the supreme court with a bunch of fascists and hangers-on on December 5th. If you're in the area and interested in a counter-demo I can only suggest getting in contact with your local antifa. There's no way these poujadist thumbheads should be allowed to own the streets.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

I don't feel I've betrayed anything, I still believe in leftist values. But those aren't being shown at all here, all I see is hate and the attitude that "we're right and if you voted for Trump you deserve to have your rear end kicked". Didn't know the left was for violence. The ends don't justify the means, much less so when we're talking about physical violence against someone who voted differently to you in a democratic election. Something is very wrong with the way these liberal democrats are thinking. But I give them a partial pass, they've been brainwashed by the media. I mean, it's incredible how the media and the whole presidential campaign with all the dirt and lies has caused some people to think that Donald Trump is some kind of anti-christ. I mean, if you took everything he said seriously you didn't really get it. That was his style in the campaign, and it was very effective.

If you still believe in leftist values, I fail to understand how those are compatible with allowing a man endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan into high office. It's not enough to just clap your hands and believe. Fascism can't be stopped with the ballot box alone, it has to be faced in the streets and undercut by real solutions to the social ills and anxieties it feeds off.

For content:

Care about the plight of the refugees that are being scapegoated to justify all this poo poo?

Refugee Council USA
Refugee Action (UK)

Caveat: There may be other, better organisations to contribute to with regards to refugees and if so, feel free to post them up. These are just the reults of two minutes googling on my part.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

You know, that Trump isn't advocating for anything the Ku Klux Klan is representing right? It just happens to be that the Ku Klux Klan might also oppose (illegal) immigration which Trump is also opposing. Trump probably hates them just as much as you or me. Trump isn't a fascist.

:getout:

HorseLord posted:

See now you're being a sectarian. I've never given a "smug warning", I tried to start a discussion on how we deal with the white moderate stealth reactionary and their respectability politics, which upset you, and now it's too late because you've got a real live one. I'm smug now because it's blew up in your face.

He hadn't actually started doing that until after I started writing my response to you. Pardon me for not reading posts from the future

You're not helping, dude. Your whole schtick seems to be mainly about being insufferable and demoralising to engage with and that's not really in the coalition-building spirit of this thread at all. Save the wrangling over theory and purity for after the fight is won, then you can purge to your heart's content.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, in a two-party system you're definitely better off working within one of the big two rather than trying to shore up a third party, particularly with the electoral college system you have in the US. It's far from perfect, but it's better to have something "good enough" to work with rather than something niche but pure or whatever.

Same goes for the westminster system probably, certainly here in the UK you could do worse than getting involved in the labour party, though the parliamentary contingent of it is doing its level best to fight change and the newly-minted left wing leader is shaping up to be electoral poison.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

HorseLord posted:

In the UK a third party nearly destroyed the union and then took all the seats in an entire country.

And they've done fuckall productive with it and spend all their time sniping at the parties adjacent instead of opposing the one opposite.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Bottom line with regards to antifa: fascists exert their power by making the streets unsafe for minorities through marching around like belligerent swaggering fucknuggets. They are not taking to the streets to protest, a fascist march is a show of force. If they're allowed to walk the streets unimpeded they become bolder and more willing to intimidate and assault anyone who gets in their way. It is necessary to obstruct them, confront them and even use force to prevent them from thinking they rule the streets. Think the UK in the 1970s, think Germany in the 30s, any time nazis or their descendents think they can swagger en masse down a street in a non-white neighbourhood unimpeded people get hurt, people get killed and the fascists are able to terrorise the population with impunity.

Antifascist actions are about protecting and reducing harm to minority communities and about preventing the growth of the sort of toxic, violent and terroristic climate that openly marching fascists engender.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

b0ner of doom posted:

This seems like the kind of post that would be made in GBS, being rife with the kind of for the lulz cynicism that has no place is a civilized forum like this one

:getout:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

A wobbly comrade got his rear end shot by a nazi sympathizer at a protest. There's a fundraiser for anyone with a spare :10bux:.

https://www.crowdrise.com/medical-fundraiser-for-iww-and-gdc-member-shot-in-seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

:hfive:

• Locked thread