Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Torquemadras posted:

This is a great thread idea. If anything, this disastrous election seemed to have served as a sort of wake-up call for the left...

Any tips for German goons how to get involved? I guess it's a tad safer here, compared to others in Europe, but - and I don't think I'm alone on this one - Trump has terrified me on a visceral level. I feel like I have to do SOMETHING. I've always hated the strongman type of dictator like Putin and Erdogan, the sheer arrogance and bald-faced lies of it all, and now there's Trump. I always had the feeling Trump was plain and simply running a better campaign (despite being a burning wreck), but I kept hoping such a person cannot, must not be rewarded.

Well.

I feel I have to do something, and I have no idea where to even start.

If you want to help prevent the fascists from taking over, join a party. (Linke or Grüne, maybe even SPD if you think it's salvageable.) Make peace with the fact that some people in that party are going to be assholes you'd rather not be associated with, that's an unavoidable part of parliamentary democracy. If you don't want to do that, find an organization that fights for some specific cause you want to support.

Basically this:

MikeCrotch posted:

I can't speak to the situation in other countries, but if you care about what's going on in the world, get out of your gooncave and start meeting people. The rest will follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

If you have a problem with environmentalism (from the list of parties you called anti-science I assume that's what you mean) you won't find a leftist party of your liking in Europe.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/inside-the-private-chat-rooms-trump-supporters-are-using-to?utm_term=.buWDleOLZ#.cjnmoZxKq

This is one thing which is worrying me. I do feel that this kind of activism had a big hand during the US election, and could easily be effective in France by spreading hate and misinformation ("alternative facts" :rolleyes:) How do you fight this? Facebook/Twitter are obviously going to do nothing about it.

Who's "you"? The sensible way to fight it would be for European governments to hold American companies accountable for spreading fascism. That obviously won't happen though, given that these are the same companies that can get away with not paying any taxes.
I don't think this is a huge problem though. A bunch of american Nazis who don't speak french or know anything about non-american politics won't be able to do much more than post some memes. And while the internet played an important role in Trumps election, we shouldn't overstate the importance of pepe pictures, no matter how much 4chan wants to believe they were the deciding factor in this election.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Not only did the left expect Brexit, significant parts of the left were actively campaigning for it. And Jeremy Corbyn isn't losing support because of some media campaign but because he's grossly incompent. That he now supports a hard Brexit is certainly a part of it.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Manic X posted:

If you are hindered by words, you are a pussy to be blunt. loving heroes like Martin Luther King Jr. endured real punishment for their beliefs and succeeded in their enphatic victories for social justice. I repeat I am for the left-wing agenda except for speech. As speech is subjective and it diverts the narrative from real issues. Stop talking about who used a bad word and start acting on injustice.

You're literally invoking Martin Luther King in your crusade for the right to use racial slurs.

Gee, I wonder why you "understand" the right wing. Real mystery.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Manic X posted:

You are creating a fallacy in your argument by assuming that because I believe in free speech that it means I must agree with everything any will say. My argument is if people don't feel comfortable to come out with their opinions then how can we change a persons mindsets? As I said they become the silent majority. I mentioned I used to have a right wing mindset (conservative voter originally). I used to vote conservative because I believed in rewarding hard work and did not like the benefit haven that the UK had become. This was of course all nonsense generated from the media). But then in my teens I was exposed to some pretty interesting debates in college where people spoke freely. I wasn't insulted for my perspective, but I was just told things from new perspectives. I realised my view of the world was misinformed and began to change. I'm still changing now as change is gradual, but I only change when I am exposed to people's opinions (aka free speech).

Do you really not realize that your entire argument completely excludes even thinking about people who aren't heterosexual white males? Have you never considered that people whose existence is threatened because of their sexual orientation or ethnicity maybe can not feel as comfortable as you are with just letting fascists say whatever they want wherever they want?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

"They beat the racists", in this case, means that this election was a huge success for the right wing. The three parties with the most votes are all right wing. The fourth is centrist. Meanwhile, the social democrats lost 75% of their voters. And the fascist party still gained some seats, just not as many as the press had feared. This is in no way a success for the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

To quote Marx on the subject:
[...]
Emphasis mine. I'm not sure it holds true nowadays necessarily but there's definitely historical precedent for angry communist gun nuts.

Yeah, but aside from the fact that Marx was no Anarchist, the question wasn't weather workers should be armed in a capitalist society, the question was how an anarchist would justify having an armed police force in an anarchist society. Because when the survival of communities, no matter how decentralized they are, relies on having bigger guns, the result looks much more like feudalism than anarchism.

• Locked thread