Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Hey cool, was hoping we'd have a thread like this. My wife and I are both pretty involved in the local Democratic groups, but I feel like we've got to get a whole lot better at turning some folks blue in our county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Fargle posted:

Do you have any stories about it that you want to share?
One of our local incumbent state representatives, who also happened to be very good, lost to a literal college student.
A guy that I really really liked only got 35% of the vote running for Congress against a 2nd generation holder of the seat.

My wife is way more active in going to the meetings and whatnot (although I've been trying to go more), I built and maintain their website. I'd definitely like to be more proactive in publishing anything that can help the cause going forward, whereas I've been more passive and just posted what they sent me in the past. Our leadership is well-intentioned but I think more interested in socializing than strategizing when they get together (which is not to imply that they don't put forth a great deal of effort, because they do)

Also, we're in a very white, very poor county.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks for that list, will check some of those out. Just went to a county meeting and god it was .... ineffectual. "They'll love us in 2020 after 4 years of the bad man" and attempting to bore the crap out of the influx of guests (who will never attend again) were the two themes.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I don't know, there are some good points, but for the most part it comes off as making sweeping generalizations as an angsty response to other people making sweeping generalizations. And when I say people, it doesn't really seem like the article is describing the left as a whole, but more like one persons social circle of liberal elites.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 15, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
One of the steering committee guys just sent me the new header for the website, complete with banner text "We're still here!" :smithicide:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's better to drag a party with actual influence left than to form a circle jerk with a small group of ideologically pure friends while the world burns around you.

In the US, at what point will it make sense to just switch over to the Republican party and start trying to bring them left? I feel like my local and the national Democratic party are on the mark socially but not economically (I don't feel like being pro-NAFTA and saying you're for Joe Manufacturer is really viable, this isn't a "whats the matter with Kansas" situation where the messaging just needs improvement), and they're so far from doing anything effectual that I really am starting to feel like I'm spinning my wheels devoting hours to them. I don't even care about national policy reform, just doing something actually useful for the community that we could point to would be great, but instead of Food Drives etc we'll just set up a booth at the Fuckem-Dixem Corporate Gala.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Oracle posted:

Honestly? No. You are ice skating uphill by joining a fringe party

He's not joining a party.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Oracle posted:

Well hey, I stand corrected. Join whatever organization you want if it makes you feel good. Just keep in mind warm fuzzies are for your benefit, not necessarily your stated goals. I'm really really feeling like time is of the essence, here, and the closer you can start to your endpoint, the faster you'll get there.

I appreciate the condescension, but a lot of us have been very involved with our local parties and are now looking for ways to augment that involvement, as on its own it doesn't appear to have been working out so well.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

yellowyams posted:

it says not to contact DNC members directly. Is there a reason for that?

quote:

Keith is working non-stop to reach out to DNC members, elected officials, and grassroots activists across the country, but he can’t do this alone. That’s where you come in.

Here are a few simple ways you can help Keith bring the grassroots to Washington, DC.

NOTE: Please refrain from contacting DNC members directly.

Given the context, I think he's saying "please don't go dogpiling the committee members while I'm trying to work this"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is there something more I can do for the DSA? I would love to get a local chapter here in Peoria, but I'm unable to convince anyone qualified to get involved. On a different note, I sit on a mountain of idle time at work on my 3rd shift job, and I really feel like I could be using it for data entry or whatever.

They've got a list of skills on the volunteer signup page, I don't see data entry but there's phonebanking etc and you could probably just write something in comments.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Fargle posted:

So the local government here in Northern Ireland has just collapsed.

This seems like a big enough deal that I shouldn't be learning about it in an obscure thread on a dead internet comedy website. :smith:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Veyrall posted:

I keep seeing this guide making the rounds on Facebook. Does anyone else think it could be useful?

Just read the guide. Definitely sounds practical and workable. There's no chapter in Florida apparently, but If I could get our Dems chapter to adapt those tactics I feel like we could get something done.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

I was told I should post here
Who sent you

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

right-to-work
I wish the left was able to get ironic names like this to stick.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just tried to call Senator Bill Nelson re: the Supreme Court nomination and his mailbox is full. :laugh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
http://time.com/4661074/republican-town-hall-criticism-obamacare-repeal/
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/republicans-obamacare-repeal-town-halls-234651
http://health.wusf.usf.edu/post/rep-bilirakis-hears-obamacare-supporters-during-town-hall#stream/0
http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/a-bilirakis-gathering-turns-out-to-be-strongly-pro-obamacare/2312107

My home district. :dance:
Rumors abound that Gus is heading for retirement anyway but I'm still loving it.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 7, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

Sup Tampa bro. I heard about that but the way local NPR reported it was "all but 3 speakers supported replacing the law"
Hey bud!!! And what the actual gently caress, NPR? :sigh:

quote:

Also while I'm thinking about it you got any leads on stuff to do in Tampa?
I've been unable to find any DSA/Indivisible etc orgs closer than Orlando and have just been working with the local Dem orgs. We moved from downtown out to Pasco several years back, and mostly are involved with the groups out here now. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to hook up and hit events out this way!

While down there my wife was pretty involved with the South Tampa Democratic Club and recommends them highly. "She's awesome!" was her comment on the contact person, Jane Gibbons (gibbjane54 at the gmails).

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Oh wow, just saw this gem in the Pasco Dems newsletter:

quote:

Feb. 16, 4:00 p.m. - Heritage Pines Club, Magnolia Room, Heritage Pines Clubhouse, 11524 Scenic Hills Blvd, Hudson, Program: Presentation and discussion led by our 'Indivisible' Team

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
At Gus Bilirakis town hall in Pasco county, FL right now. Gus getting crushed. Never seen so many pissed off subrbanites.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Its getting well covered on CNN right now! Lots of video from the Q and A.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Annual Prophet posted:

was that the meeting where one of the presenters said there were death panels for people aged 74 and where he said "ok children" when everyone booed?

because just watching that made my blood boil

Yeah, that's the one! There were so many people inside and outside the room (including us) shouting that guy down.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
More on Death Panel guy from the Bilirakis event.

So happy to see how much coverage that garnered, as I don't feel like the pressure will let up on our end. These are your typical apathetic Americans that have finally gotten pushed to get their fat asses off the couch, which is a monumental hurdle to clear and I feel like its not just going to be a flash in the pan. Also I feel like the attention garnered is going to be part of a major positive feedback loop.

HuffPo: Watch Constituents Flip Out On GOP Official For Claiming Obamacare Has Death Panels
CNN: 'Death panel' disputes erupt at Florida GOP congressman's town hall
WaPo: Official mentions 'death panels' during town hall discussion on healthcare

local coverage:
http://floridapolitics.com/archives/231981-pasco-county-town-hall-gus-bilirakis-hears-overwhelming-sentiment-replace-not-repeal-aca
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/johnwright/gop_congressman_lies_to_constituents_calls_them_children_as_town_hall_protests_continued
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/biliraklis-gets-another-earful-on-obamacare-repeal/2312939
http://www.carbonated.tv/news/republican-constituents-upset-over-obamacare-repeal

Even saw a talking head opining that the protestors must have been paid. This warmed my heart much like when someone at the gym asks if you're juicing.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Activism planned by actiivists, where does it end. :colbert:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just got back from our local dems meeting where the county supervisor of elections was speaking.

Really impressed with the continued turnout and enthusiasm. There's a planned protest about to be going down outside our congressman's office in addition to continued strong attendance at town halls etc. Also specifically directed people to 5calls.org, and an upcoming meeting of indivisible (which leadership has already been attending).

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

You mean the senator who brought up death panels to say why he voted against the ACA has resigned? Or was it just some staff guy who doesn't matter?

He's referring to this rear end in a top hat: https://thinkprogress.org/bilirakis-town-hall-aca-death-panels-71c85ae831f8#.ne6bebn6n

I also really liked this bit from the one in Wesley Chapel this week:

quote:

"I just would really like to hear you say publicly that there is no such thing as death panels in the ACA," Bunch said.

And Bilirakis responded: "There is no such thing as death panels in the ACA."
http://wlrn.org/post/crowd-has-more-say-third-bilirakis-town-hall

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It was worse than I remembered. It wasn't a tweet, it was a chain email sent to every Democrat in the state? https://www.scribd.com/mobile/document/251865760/Nancy-Worley-Holiday-Letter

Solution: We installed the tallest available commode and a pull up bar
:laugh:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

So... I don't have access to facebook atm. Please tell me there are a ton of anti-VOICE rallies getting organized.
I've typically got a lot of people posting political stuff from the right and left on my feed. Today is probably the least political day in recent memory, the only thing getting any traction at all is Kellyanne foot on the couch photoshops.

Its like we're back to normal now that the president appeared to be back on his meds for a night.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Breakfast Pogrom

:laugh:

e: Just watched Tucker Carlson badger a guest about how parliament's anti-hate speech measure is Orwellian and anti-populist. God the guy is so over the top loving obnoxious, how did he grow from Bill Press's puppy dog into this? The idea that tolerance means letting intolerance flourish is just maddening to me.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 2, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

You're literally the only person citing "yelling at boomers".

No he's not, the original quote that started the exchange was "I'm all about DSA, but there's also the post-Bernie Our Revolution and Knock Every Door, if you're all about getting yelled at/yelling at old boomer shits right there on their front stoops." by Jack Gladney.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798064&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post470104829

quote:

no, you didn't. you're lying, in order to make both sides seem equivalent.

And then making a stand on that lie, and then deflecting.

Please, move along and come back with something else.

quote:

coyote yapping at the jerks until they run off good dog
:stare:

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 9, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

I know this is a joke but it's the kinda joke that I worry will get us flagged by the FBI and I don't want to see Fox News run the headline COMMUNIST GAY ABORTION LOVING GUERRILLA BREEDING GROUND WEBSITE SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM RAIDED FOR SUSPECTED TERRORISMS

SA seems to be at a much more relaxed DEFCON with regards to this kind of thing, which I find counterintuitive given the current climate

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

That "Republicans Matter Most" bit hits a little closer to the bone than I'd like to admit. I'm in a purple state, but for those in deep red territory at what point, if any, does it make sense to switch registered sides just so you can nominate the lesser evil in Republican primaries? (Obviously this is a moot point in states with open primaries or whatever they're called)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Called my (R) congressman today to complain about provisions of the Spending Bill that undercut Dodd Frank. Got put on hold for a while when I asked where Gus stood on this one and basically got back my first "gently caress if we know but we'll try to find out". Funny how off the radar important poo poo like this is just due to the sheer volume of insane things going down.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Has anyone been paying attention to the current DSA kerfluffle over Danny Fetonte? I understand why people want him to step down but the way the organization has handled it has been pretty lovely. It seems like they're just trying to justify their initial outrage over a (now known to be fake) Fetonte LinkedIn account.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

Check out the last idk ten or so pages of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808020

I'm sure they're all over it, I was more curious about anyone reading this subforum/thread as we've discussed DSA stuff in here before.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Went to see the chairman of our state Democratic Committee speak tonight. He focused heavily on his fund raising ability, and not taking a salary. His newly appointed president was with him and addressed some operational concerns. Overall things were really positive and there were a ton of candidates and attendees there.

Q: What about "litmus tests"
A: that's what primaries are for, they're not going to enforce positions. If you don't like the candidate's views, run someone against them.

Q What are you doing to help make sure all local and state elections have a qualified Dem candidate:
A: ran a workshop at the tailend of some gathering this that had better than expected turnout and there are materials that can be sent out.

Q How can we help with that?
A: send money

Definitely didn't seem as committed to making sure we had candidates for dogcatcher etc as I'd have liked but I'm hoping they were just doing a crappy job of answering the question.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

Well it's just some groups that came to mind, or was this snark that I don't understand?

Fetonte-gate reference.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

There's a DSA thread?

Yeah, in the subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Good news, we've actually got some local candidates to get behind her in Red County, FL.
I was coercedvolunteered to go door to door collecting signatures but I'm a little apprehensive, my de-escalation fu is probably not up to a serious FloGrown confrontation but supposedly we only go to registered Dems.

• Locked thread