Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Bought it in paperback. I'll literally take the bus around town for no reason reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just an FYI for people like me who are straight, white, and male, my older sister directed me to sign up for a local Showing Up For Racial Justice (SURJ) group.

SURJ is an anti-racism organization that helps the privileged use their access to help those that have no privilege and they do it in a collaborative manner with other groups.

See if your area has one. Seattle has like five.

E: sorry if this is random and irrelevant to the discussion. I'm just sort of losing it and trying to stop feeling like human trash.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I def signed up for text alerts.

I have energy that just needs to be appropriately directed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

GodFish posted:

Sorry, could you link to some of the Seattle ones? I'm on my phone for awhile and having some trouble finding them.

https://www.carw.org

http://toolsforchange.org

https://m.facebook.com/groups/697221816987837/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So, practical question: who are the most active antifa / general leftist groups in Pittsburgh, and is there any central place on social media or elsewhere I can go to hear about events and such before they happen?

I'm a law student so I'm not sure how much time I have for volunteering, but I want to be aware and available for important stuff plus in another year or so I might be of actual use in the domain of the law.

One Pennsylvania. My sister works with them (she's a former SEIU organizer) and they do a LOT of activism in PGH.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I know a lot of people who are now sober who use their sobriety as an act of resistance in and of itself. Staying sober in 2017 is loving hard.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

How worth it is it for me to learn any amount of Roberts Rules of Order? My union uses it but do other orgs use it too?

I'm ignorant as hell about organized movements

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Ok. The union offers a basics course and then an advanced course as well. I'm not sure if I want to put the effort into being a council rep but if it's helpful know it for other applications I will give it a shot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So it’s coming up on intern season at work and once a week we get a handful of engineering interns who are by default funneled into a union membership orientation that I help facilitate.

What’s the best way to educate these younger folks about what a union is and how it benefits them? I’m finding it super difficult to make them care about labor organization and a lot of it stems from the fact that they’re only here for 4-6 months and then they go back to school.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

My go-to so far has been to point out that while other engineering jobs may pay more, the quality of life (re: hours and overtime) is far superior under a union contract.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

One anecdote I trot out regarding the union being there to help you is that one time I had an accident using a company vehicle and they wanted me to take a drug test the next day but the union informed me that if it had been 8 hours or more, they aren’t allowed to do poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I actually explained this (drew circles in the air with my hands) but instead of taxes it was dues. I think it worked super well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Yeah that's a real good one lol

I know I've already basically said this but I want to emphasize it: it blows my mind how many people my age don't really get what a union does for them. I've talked to lots of peeps, both irl and on this forum, who complained about unions doing nothing but taking money out of their paycheck. Most of them were left-leaning, too, and just thought that they had a "bad" union or that modern unions were something completely different from the old ones. Pretty much all of them never bothered to go to the union rep with any issues, or get involved in anything the union was doing, or hell even bothered to vote most of the time - It was basically just "another tax" as far as they were concerned, doing weird nebulous things at a large scale that they never see any direct result from. I think just getting it into people's heads that the union operates all the way down to an individual level for them personally, and not just as some large organization pushing general policy, would go a long way towards selling them on the idea.

I had a union represented employee tell me this morning that she thought unions literally only still exist in Washington state and everywhere else they’re banned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I got a layoff notice six months after I got hired into the company and was pretty sour on the union over that from the get go but now I realize that a non union person just gets told “bye whore” without the 90 days to find another role.

Now I’m both feet into union activities and am trying to actually contribute.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Also: another great talking point for new members is explaining that our monthly dues are 85% of the avg hourly rate across the whole unit.

Our dues are ~$47 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The other hard part is that we don’t want to give the impression to brand new folks that the company is out to gently caress them (even though it’s true) because that tends to turn people off.

Typically during these orientations I start going off about how the company isn’t your friend and all that then the old timer I work with jumps in like “HA HA ALRIGHT BUT SERIOUSLY IT WILL BE OK”

• Locked thread