Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

"Once you understand how to play it's not fun anymore" is probably the most succinct explanation of the problems with Re:CoM's battle system I've read. It's completely accurate.
It sort of reminds me of Mario & Luigi's battle system, where you can get the jump on enemies before an official encounter and also go through battles without taking damage if you're good enough. The problem is that the card battle system in Re:CoM is somehow more limiting than a turn-based RPG battle system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Were summons that useless in the GBA release? It feels like they should've been harder to avoid on a a smaller screen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Were summons that useless in the GBA release? It feels like they should've been harder to avoid on a a smaller screen.

I think that's just a Simba problem. He wasn't that great in KH1 either if you recall.

Mostly because he's the first summon, so he can't be too powerful, I'm sure.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

RareAcumen posted:

I think that's just a Simba problem. He wasn't that great in KH1 either if you recall.

Mostly because he's the first summon, so he can't be too powerful, I'm sure.

He wasn't bad in the GBA one just because it was more 2D and he just hit whatever side he was facing. A lot of the more special cards like summons were either better or worse in a version.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I hope we go to the Pride Lands so we can ask why we got Simba and not the much better fighter, Nala.
Since most of the summons in KH1 were characters from worlds that were destroyed by the Heartless, I don't think this is in the............. ugh, cards.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Wasn't Tinkerbell a summon? London looked like it was in pretty good shape in KH1. Nevernever Land also seemed to be intact.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Neurion posted:

Wasn't Tinkerbell a summon? London looked like it was in pretty good shape in KH1. Nevernever Land also seemed to be intact.

She IS indeed a summon.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 23, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Neurion posted:

2 of the summons (Tink and Genie) joined you rather than being gems

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neurion posted:

Yep, that's why I said "most" of the summons.

I hope we don't have to see Deep Jungle again.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Boy oh boy, it's that game I thought looked cool when I was an idiot teen!

And of course, like most of those games but unlike most of the other inexplicably card-based ones, it turns out that it is actually bad. :v: At least your commentary makes sitting through Sora being dumb and animes being animes tolerable.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The commentary and fan art is what will keep us from getting terminally bored during this LP.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to abandon nerd poo poo like cards and instead go onto sports

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Like Clockwork posted:

Boy oh boy, it's that game I thought looked cool when I was an idiot teen!

And of course, like most of those games but unlike most of the other inexplicably card-based ones, it turns out that it is actually bad. :v: At least your commentary makes sitting through Sora being dumb and animes being animes tolerable.

I'm pretty sure it's all the fault of the lovely 3d conversion. Chain of Memories for GBA was good. :colbert:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God bless Convenient Plot Amnesia, a Square staple since time immemorial.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just amazed there wasn't a big twist where he goes 'Who's Kairi?' when Goofy mentions her. Maybe instead he forgot about Riku? I'd consider that a good thing, that guy's a jerk.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm just amazed there wasn't a big twist where he goes 'Who's Kairi?' when Goofy mentions her. Maybe instead he forgot about Riku? I'd consider that a good thing, that guy's a jerk.

How dare you call my boyfriend a jerk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

We just got in through the door and everyone lost every power, skill, item, and keyblade accrued over the last game. There'll be plenty of time for them to forget more things and wonder why the hell they're dressed like that and wonder where are they now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

We just got in through the door and everyone lost every power, skill, item, and keyblade accrued over the last game. There'll be plenty of time for them to forget more things and wonder why the hell they're dressed like that and wonder where are they now.

I guess you're right. At least unlike other amnesia-type stories it doesn't start out with the 'who am I' routine.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
In terms of story, Chain of Memories remains my favorite game in the series. The story is self-contained and doesn't need knowledge of the rest of the series to be understandable, and the setting is downright terrifying.

Castle Oblivion is a horrible place. The hallways aren't just blank and featureless but empty, painful to look at for any period of time. The walls and floor don't even cast any reflection, nor does there seem to be any echo off the walls, or really anything to perceive at all. You don't want to spend any time in the intermediary areas, because you're so deprived of sensation that it feels like every moment you're there, something is slipping away from you.

The memory loss is the other thing. The moment Sora stepped into the castle it should have been clear that it was a mistake to enter, that he should have gotten right the gently caress back out of there and not looked back. He couldn't though, because the castle had already taken away something precious from him; he was rendered totally helpless. He keeps venturing deeper into the castle, hoping to get back his memories of how to fight, so he can defend himself in a way other than this awkward, clumsy cardbattling that he has to resort to. But every time Sora recovers a card with one of his memories, Castle Oblivion quietly steals three more from him.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The memory loss is the other thing. The moment Sora stepped into the castle it should have been clear that it was a mistake to enter, that he should have gotten right the gently caress back out of there and not looked back. He couldn't though, because the castle had already taken away something precious from him; he was rendered totally helpless. He keeps venturing deeper into the castle, hoping to get back his memories of how to fight, so he can defend himself in a way other than this awkward, clumsy cardbattling that he has to resort to. But every time Sora recovers a card with one of his memories, Castle Oblivion quietly steals three more from him.

You are looking WAAAAAAAY too deep into this story. It's a story that centers around a kid with a giant key beating the essence of darkness to death by bludgoning it with said giant key. Also something something light, hearts, key to all darkness, something something spoilers for 5 games down the road

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kemix posted:

You are looking WAAAAAAAY too deep into this story. It's a story that centers around a kid with a giant key beating the essence of darkness to death by bludgoning it with said giant key. Also something something light, hearts, key to all darkness, something something spoilers for 5 games down the road

With Donald Duck and Goofy helping.

Deep, serious stuff.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I guess you're right. At least unlike other amnesia-type stories it doesn't start out with the 'who am I' routine.
So by default it has a more involved plot than other Square games with amnesia.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Anoia posted:

Deep, serious stuff.

Truly deep minds would be floored by how deep it is...or blow their brains out. Either way.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 1, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Anoia posted:

Deep, serious stuff.

Kingdom Hearts' target audience are teenage edgelords, so I don't see why it shouldn't have a bit of existential dread.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

In terms of story, Chain of Memories remains my favorite game in the series. The story is self-contained and doesn't need knowledge of the rest of the series to be understandable, and the setting is downright terrifying.

Castle Oblivion is a horrible place. The hallways aren't just blank and featureless but empty, painful to look at for any period of time. The walls and floor don't even cast any reflection, nor does there seem to be any echo off the walls, or really anything to perceive at all. You don't want to spend any time in the intermediary areas, because you're so deprived of sensation that it feels like every moment you're there, something is slipping away from you.

I'm going to quote this post just in case you look back on it later and realize you're overthinking it. It's Disney Jesus entering a Nomura land with Nomura characters and beating up cute little Disney monsters with Disney pals, and any story it has is something that edgelord "I want the villain to win" Nomura just threw in without much thought put into it other than "do I think it's cool?"

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

I'm going to quote this post just in case you look back on it later and realize you're overthinking it. It's Disney Jesus entering a Nomura land with Nomura characters and beating up cute little Disney monsters with Disney pals, and any story it has is something that edgelord "I want the villain to win" Nomura just threw in without much thought put into it other than "do I think it's cool?"

To be fair, if I had to describe the plot of any other KH game besides this in text, my head would hurt.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

that big plot post is a bit silly and weird in the context of what we have seen right now but id rather have a million of those than tryhard posts like this

Kemix posted:

Truly deep minds would be floored by how deep it is...or blow their brains out. Either way.

kemix stop posting in my thread

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to go to the middle east and tell the same story AGAIN, WOW!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'm glad they decided to improve on Agrabah by giving Genie a perpetual wide-eyed stare like he's taken up a heroin habit.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man this game was a lot easier to stomach on the Gba with no voice acting.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Agreed, but also I'm one of Those People and I really like the spritework

Goofy's voice actor is a treasure though

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
"If I remember correctly [Cloud] has a pretty good Sleight attached to him."

If by "pretty good" you mean one of the most broken and crazy good moves in the game? Yeah it's pretty good.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
"We'll never get to Jasmine in time, even though she's a drop away and the Heartless are standing in place and it took just as much time to get Genie out and make the wish as it would have to run over there"

:allears:

Jafar wasting his second wish on literally just punching Aladdin once was pretty great, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

Agreed, but also I'm one of Those People and I really like the spritework

Goofy's voice actor is a treasure though

Sprites being so much cheaper than 3D modeling helps since you avoid the Ceaseless Horrors Genie face. Draw a few faces, make em all blink and you're basically done.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RareAcumen posted:

Sprites being so much cheaper than 3D modeling helps since you avoid the Ceaseless Horrors Genie face. Draw a few faces, make em all blink and you're basically done.

The amount of blinking isn't even the biggest problem.

Letting Genie look straight at anything basically makes him seem psychotic.

They sidestep that issue in the Disney film and the first KH by having him always look to the side or down. Genie still looks really shifty, but at least you don't get to focus on his pinpoint pupils. Keeping him in motion also prevents you from looking at his rictus grin for more than a fraction of a second.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I need to get a console again so I can play the remakes of 1, CoM, and 2.

Also, is it just me or did this world visit just completely contradict the movie? Genie can't kill people or make people fall in love! I'm going to chalk that up to Sora's messed up memories.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I need to get a console again so I can play the remakes of 1, CoM, and 2.

Also, is it just me or did this world visit just completely contradict the movie? Genie can't kill people or make people fall in love! I'm going to chalk that up to Sora's messed up memories.

he didn't kill the Heartless--he just made them disappear somewhere. He pretty much killed Aladdin in the movie by firing him off in the tower of the palace (he would have drowned without Carpet's help), so it's not out of the question.

he also never made Jasmine fall in love with anyone. He just picked her up, and he was going to make Al seem more impressive by making him a prince, but he wasn't going to manipulate Jasmine's feelings, which he couldn't do anyway.

don't worry, Disney canon still firmly intact here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was referring to Aladdin's plan to have Jafar waste a wish on Genie punching him in the face so that he could only win Jasmine's heart or kill them, but not both since he had only one wish left.

Or did they change that part in the remake? I plan on watching the videos when I get home. On my phone at present.

• Locked thread