Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FutureFriend posted:

Both the remake and the GBA version received positive reviews, although the most of the acclaim was in regards to the GBA version's presentation, with many finding its combat system unwieldy.
And this is why you need to actually read the content of a review instead of just taking the score at face value (see also: Ghostbusters 2016 reviews- the ones I read had good scores but came off as lukewarm endorsements). I play video games for the gameplay, not for the presentation.

Maybe if they made this into a Heroclix ripoff it would have been better.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"I'm just a coyote Final Fantasy character. I can't help you any further." -Aerith

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

"Once you understand how to play it's not fun anymore" is probably the most succinct explanation of the problems with Re:CoM's battle system I've read. It's completely accurate.
It sort of reminds me of Mario & Luigi's battle system, where you can get the jump on enemies before an official encounter and also go through battles without taking damage if you're good enough. The problem is that the card battle system in Re:CoM is somehow more limiting than a turn-based RPG battle system.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I hope we go to the Pride Lands so we can ask why we got Simba and not the much better fighter, Nala.
Since most of the summons in KH1 were characters from worlds that were destroyed by the Heartless, I don't think this is in the............. ugh, cards.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neurion posted:

Wasn't Tinkerbell a summon? London looked like it was in pretty good shape in KH1. Nevernever Land also seemed to be intact.
Yep, that's why I said "most" of the summons.

I hope we don't have to see Deep Jungle again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The commentary and fan art is what will keep us from getting terminally bored during this LP.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

God bless Convenient Plot Amnesia, a Square staple since time immemorial.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I guess you're right. At least unlike other amnesia-type stories it doesn't start out with the 'who am I' routine.
So by default it has a more involved plot than other Square games with amnesia.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

KH Re:CoM puts the lie to the old saying that you can't bullshit a bullshitter.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Omobono posted:

Gas-lighting royals is not fine, gas-lighting her is perfectly fine.
gaslighting is almost always violence

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hell, even by the end of KH1 things started to get convoluted plot-wise. The series gets ever more loony the further you stray from the "Final Fantasy mixed with Disney" premise and I'm not exactly sure why Square continued in that direction with subsequent releases. White Coke brought up a good idea by proposing making some of the black robe guys talking Disney animals instead of making them all anime boys and girls, but I doubt we'll see any of them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Aladdin was a good ally and FutureFriend didn't show off Jack or Mooshoo, but yeah a lot of them seem useless.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Color Printer posted:

next you're gonna be telling me that people's hearts are pulsing flesh organs and not glowing orbs, what the!!!!
I can suspend my disbelief with that because you gotta make hearts look appealing, and also make taking away someone's heart not look like a Mortal Kombat fatality for rating purposes. But "the heart is the source of memories" is just way too stupid to react to with anything but a laugh.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Now that you mention it, the Disney worlds feel very tacked on in CoM. It's like Square thought of the plot first, anime nonsense and all, then squeezed in the Disney worlds later and made them fit the plot. KH1 looked it took the opposite route.

I do agree with you on Larxene, though. Sarcastically taunting heroes will get you points in my book.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Boy, Riku went from "misguided lovestruck teenager" to "irredeemable little poo poo" pretty quickly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pooh went from "I want to die" when you meet him in KH1 to "I have no friends" in CoM. Progress!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Final Fight "Streetwise" didn't look like a bad game, it just wasn't a Final Fight game.
I have too many questions to ask.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Would you really want to know any of the answers
Not particularly, no

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"We Nobodies can never help to be somebodies" sounds like a Dr. Seuss line.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There are definitely worse lines in Kingdom Hearts, that one is just nonsensical.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wish they could have made a couple of the black zipper robed idiots Disney characters, but I guess Square was never interested in exploring that aspect any further than they did in KH1.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

Why did they transplant Beast + Belle to Nondescript Anime Castle #273, when B&B's story already basically revolved around a perfectly-serviceable magic castle? And was there ever any more explanation given for Hollow Bastion's existence beyond (if I'm remembering correctly) being the place where Ansem came from/did all his dumb Heartless research?
Sora didn't go to the Beauty and the Beast universe in KH1, and he met The Beast and fought Maleficent in Hollow Bastion. That's where his memories are.

I think Hollow Bastion is the place where Ansem ruled the kingdom where the Final Fantasy characters came from.

That's more of the Kingdom Hearts plot than one person should remember, and my first exposure to any of it was in FutureFriend's KH1 LP. I blame him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This game's plot is like memories from the other side of my rear end

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I guess it makes sense that Riku was an irredeemable little poo poo, since he wasn't even real.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calling CoM "a moving subtext on Alzheimer's" reminds me of that video series by Clickhole where, among other things, they called Sonic the Hedgehog a game whose protagonist is a deaf woman.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Marluxia is a real glass cannon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm glad that Namine is versed in the kind of open heart surgery required to give people back their memories.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I love how smell is a plot point in Riku's story that comes out of nowhere and for no real reason.

(edited out possible probatable thing, please forgive me i've had a couple to drink)

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 29, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FutureFriend: the foremost anti-nerd LPer on the internet.

I don't see anything wrong with making Mickey, Donald, and Goofy wear the same clothes in the Kingdom Hearts games that they always have in their cartoons and movies, but Square had to make Kingdom Hearts their own somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I noticed in the credits for KH1 that Kairi was voiced by Hayden Panettiere, presumably before she became a big name. I guess they couldn't get her to speak the five lines she had in Re:CoM, so according to the credits for this game, they went with someone whose career highlights afterward was voice work for Disney XD cartoons (Alyson Stoner). Quite a drop in quality.

Thanks for playing through this bad game with a convoluted plot, I'm eagerly anticipating KH2 and your other stuff.

By the way, who draws the art for your LP video thumbnails? They do a good job.

• Locked thread