Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh hey this game, I remember enjoying it on the GBA in 2004 but I had way more time for games and way more patience so who knows if it holds up? Never did see what the PS2 "remake" was like so this should be interesting.

Can you still press L+R to instantly jump to the top of your deck? One thing I always did while deckbuilding was to put all my 0 cards at the bottom of my deck, so if I needed to break an enemy combo I could just jam L+R and then cycle a couple spots in the deck to answer it more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That ramming sleight isn't in the GBA version, is it? I remember there being a sleight for Donald+Goofy+Keyblade but you don't unlock it until the last area.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Vexen had a really terrible high-pitched cackle in the GBA version and I'm glad they left it out of this game.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Incrementor thing that Riku has was from a black card- the cards dropped by bosses and some enemies give you passive bonuses but they're almost always too expensive to be worth using. The card Vexen dropped gives you Auto-Life which is pretty handy, however.

Also yeah from that second Vexen fight through to the end of the game, all of the human-sized bosses are loving tough. Riku 3 maybe not so much but everyone else will gently caress you up if you're not careful. At least, that's how it was in the GBA version.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bobjr posted:

The real issue in the GBA version is you had to go back to save and heal. One step forward and you'd have 2 boss battles right in a row.

:same: I definitely did this the first time I finally beat Riku here, and then promptly lost my rear end to Larxene. At least beating Riku that first time made it easier to do again.

That's one thing I liked about this game (at least the GBA version)- it wasn't afraid to dial up the boss difficulty. Hook and Hades were both pains and your last battle against each Original Character Do Not Steal were some serious poo poo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm so glad sora finally realized his memories were being messed with 40 hours after being told that was happening

Dumbass confession time: this was the first KH game I played and I didn't bother to read up on the plot of 1 beforehand so I all that I knew about it was beating up Disney villains with a giant key, and also there is an existential darkness. As such I fell for the "Namine is your long-lost buddy!" trap hook, line, and sinker, pretty much until the end of Destiny Islands where you see an image of Kairi and the game goes "hey remember her dummy?"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Well how were you supposed to know?

I just can't believe that the Riku that's been hunting us this whole time turned out to be nothing more than a filthy rrrrreplicaaaaaaaa!

When you put it that way I guess I wasn't, but I think it's funny that I kind of fell into the same trap that Sora did- with only a fleeting memory of what happened before, I ended up buying int the first thing I heard with no questions asked. I did eventually go back and play KH1 though!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Marluxia was hard as gently caress in the GBA version, also his face card makes his sleights activate twice and he would always lead with that. Axel was a pain too.

E: When Axel said "hey good thing I saved you I guess", he's referring to his releasing Namine and not some deep secret thing, right?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 15, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Seeing Marluxia's sleights that gently caress with your deck was pretty neat as I don't remember them being in the GBA game, even for the second phase that is in that game. But seeing them also really drives home the criticism of "this game can't decide if it wants to be an action game or a card battler"

At any rate, good job and I'm looking forward to seeing Riku mode. I remember that one being more streamlined, if not more enjoyable outright.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The two mechanics that Ansem took you through weren't in the GBA version, you just had a straight-up boss fight there instead. So that's kinda neat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Gologle posted:

Lex's fight is one of my favorites in both this game and the original. There's something about it I really dig.

It was a fun fight, also his sword/hammer/axe thing rules and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ephraim225 posted:

I was curious about that, so I checked, and...in the GBA version, you don't even fight Zexion, Riku just slices him once and that's it.

So it seems that the bosses that weren't there originally are the ones that are going to be the most creative. All two of them.

They put a lot of effort into expanding the alternate campaign of this port of a five-year old (at the time) handheld game, I'm pleasantly surprised they did anything new with it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The hidden x-factor in that second Clone-Riku fight is that the deck you get for Twilight Town is completely awful, so you have to be really careful about which cards you play and when or else Clone-Riku will keep breaking your poo poo and generally dunking on you.

Anyway, good job again. I like to think that they stashed a bunch of ~lore stuff~ into Riku mode when they realized that Sora's campaign is just you re-living the last game, and then having your memory erased. This series is, in fact, real nonsensical in spots!

• Locked thread