Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone remember Duel Masters?!

I do. Only consistently good TCG out there anymore.

This game's battle system is actually really broken if you analyze it. I once beat this game without ever increasing my HP. Turns out the game is ten times easier if you do that. What kind of sense does that make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

I'm going to quote this post just in case you look back on it later and realize you're overthinking it. It's Disney Jesus entering a Nomura land with Nomura characters and beating up cute little Disney monsters with Disney pals, and any story it has is something that edgelord "I want the villain to win" Nomura just threw in without much thought put into it other than "do I think it's cool?"

To be fair, if I had to describe the plot of any other KH game besides this in text, my head would hurt.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Reading through the comments here, I feel I am damaged goods for actually really liking the combat system in Re:CoM and being dissapointed when they decided not to implement it in BBS midway through production.

The idea certainly isn't bad. I played through six floors or so myself after this LP inspired me to try the game again.

My only problem with it, honestly, is Card Breaks. If your deck is all nines, regular enemies can barely lift a finger to hurt you and you'll never have to dodge. Also, only one enemy can attack at a time, which is boring. If your deck is all ones, you're gonna get killed: Getting card broken puts you in danger you basically can't avoid. Bosses with real decks can have zeroes and sleights to card break you whenever they want, as well. I dunno what I'd do with the numbers in place of Card Breaks, probably something like chip codes in Mega Man Battle Network.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't formulate a strategy around Card Breaks. If you have nothing but ones, then the Powerwild Enemy Card is the best thing ever because it turns every one into a nine until your next reload, which won't come for awhile if your deck has many Potions EDIT: Turns out I'm an idiot and Potions count as reloads which is complete bullshit, why would anyone USE Potions?!

You can also get much more out of Attack cards when you realize that some Keyblades do more damage depending on where they're placed in Sora's basic 3-hit combo. This is something the game never tells you, though, EDIT: Thank you, post right below this one, for telling me it's all recorded in the journal. Shame the game draws so little attention to this mechanic, and since we'll be abusing Sleights in the later parts of the game it hardly matters.

Were they ever planning on having the card system in BBS? It'd sure make sense for Aqua considering her ending.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2017

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

So, it's pretty obvious that Namine is replacing Sora's memories of Kairi. Is she going to start replacing other characters, too?

She certainly seems to have made a good chunk of them irrelevant, i.e. almost anything Disney.

EDIT: There is a good chance this was not a well-executed joke, if so I apologize.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Except aren't they recycling KH2 graphics? Well, in the remake, anyways.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The Incrementor thing that Riku has was from a black card- the cards dropped by bosses and some enemies give you passive bonuses but they're almost always too expensive to be worth using. The card Vexen dropped gives you Auto-Life which is pretty handy, however.

Guess I'll chime in with this since it's close to the end: The only Enemy Card anyone should ever use is Jafar, since it makes your next 20 cards unbreakable. That means your next seven sleights can never be broken, eliminating the one weakness the best sleight in the game has (which is that its total value is always low, like something around 3-5.) Jafar was nerfed in the remake and it's still amazing.

Also worth mentioning that if Vexen gains Auto-Life with his own enemy card, you can cancel it with Parasite Cage, the ONLY good use it has in the remake since there's no Link Battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe that playthrough 2 starring Riku has the boss that actually takes advantage of the game's combat in an interesting way.

I was curious about that, so I checked, and...in the GBA version, you don't even fight Zexion, Riku just slices him once and that's it.

So it seems that the bosses that weren't there originally are the ones that are going to be the most creative. All two of them.

• Locked thread