Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
In terms of story, Chain of Memories remains my favorite game in the series. The story is self-contained and doesn't need knowledge of the rest of the series to be understandable, and the setting is downright terrifying.

Castle Oblivion is a horrible place. The hallways aren't just blank and featureless but empty, painful to look at for any period of time. The walls and floor don't even cast any reflection, nor does there seem to be any echo off the walls, or really anything to perceive at all. You don't want to spend any time in the intermediary areas, because you're so deprived of sensation that it feels like every moment you're there, something is slipping away from you.

The memory loss is the other thing. The moment Sora stepped into the castle it should have been clear that it was a mistake to enter, that he should have gotten right the gently caress back out of there and not looked back. He couldn't though, because the castle had already taken away something precious from him; he was rendered totally helpless. He keeps venturing deeper into the castle, hoping to get back his memories of how to fight, so he can defend himself in a way other than this awkward, clumsy cardbattling that he has to resort to. But every time Sora recovers a card with one of his memories, Castle Oblivion quietly steals three more from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Larxene is pretty infuriating to deal with as a first-time opponent, since her deck is crammed full of zeroes and, as mentioned, has a lot of very high value cards to stack up her sleights with.

On the subject of hearts, I recall that when Jack tried to make one in the previous Kingdom Hearts he started by taking a container with a lock and trying to do other poo poo to it. Sora must have taken note of this when he shoved a keyblade into his heart and gave it a sharp twist :eng101:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Calling CoM "a moving subtext on Alzheimer's" reminds me of that video series by Clickhole where, among other things, they called Sonic the Hedgehog a game whose protagonist is a deaf woman.

For me, the game was more reminiscent of stumbling through a bad dream. You have some kind of vague idea of what you should be doing and what you're pushing towards, but all the actions you try to take feel maimed and awkward, like some part of you is missing and you don't know how to get it back. You visit places that you've been before, but something about them is weird and kind of off this time around. You don't know why you keep forging ahead, save for there's nothing else you're able to do.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'll say this much, the last battles with Marluxia are intense as gently caress if your entire deck is a heap of random sleights that seemed cool at the time, like mine was. It's so satisfying to trap Marluxia in a corner and set off a Firaga Burst that takes out a healthbar and a half, though.

Marluxia's final surprise sleight is vicious as hell, too. I like to think it represents the very last of Sora's memory being ripped apart, leaving him nothing but a confused, helpless little kid who finds himself standing before the Grim Reaper.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I actually really like Riku's gimmick in this; not needing to pause and reload means his gameplay is a lot more action-y.

It helps that Riku is designed for a hyperaggressive play-style, too. Sora excels at fighting defensively and building up sleights; Riku just charges at things and cardbreaks them to death while screaming "LIKE IT?!" again and again.

• Locked thread