Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I liked the story of this one, but the gameplay always looked like total rear end.

Yeah, when I played the GBA version of this, I remember thinking the dialogue and everything was pretty decent.

Bosses later on constantly kicked my rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I play Ifrit, in defense mode!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Mind the rules! <:mad:>

I'm throwing a Tonberry next to your Quistis and- since I won- I'll be taking that Behemoth card.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 15, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Turns out this wasn't a Yu-Gi-Oh reference and all this probation was good for was outing me as someone who doesn't know the first thing about trading card games. :saddowns:

And also someone who doesn't know their iconic Final Fantasy monsters.

Anyway, Re: Chain of Memories. If anyone cares, I'm gonna be talking about the GBA version, since no one in the video remembers what it played like, and I was young and thought the game was pretty fun and beat it a few times I think. Or it just took so long that I remember some things very well.

The battle screens were basically like a beat-em-up in presentation. You can go up and down and all that jazz but I don't remember if locking on also helped you by automatically tracking towards enemies or not. Either it did or magic just did that on its own and I completely abandoned keyblade cards at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shaded Spriter posted:

I always get confused as to which Kingdom Hearts games are where in the timeline/play order - I was fairly sure this was a 2.5 era game but with you decide to let's play this one before Kingdom Hearts 2 I should watch this and see if I can actually get what the expanded story of Kingdom Hearts actually is.

All I can tell you is that it goes 1, Re: Chain of Memories, 2. After that I couldn't tell you anymore becuase I don't even know.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also I want to say that I'm immensely grateful that the subtitles are immediately on as soon as you begin the game. Because Donald is incomprehensible with voice acting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since I haven't said this, I'm gonna go ahead and toss out that I'm super looking forward to this LP because I was a dumb kid when I played it and also a dumb but not-quite-as-old me when I went through the game again some years ago. Still thought the dialogue was pretty decent so you know I'm in a bad place.

Golden Goat posted:

It's because the forbidden card game was all the rage at the time.

Anyone remember Duel Masters?!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, wait a minute, this is all Pokemon's fault.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Pocket Monsters, or Poker Monsters? :aaa:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't get why people are down on this game so much. You do combat using an entire deck of people and objects trapped in miniature Phantom Zones! What's not to love?

Also, you can just shove your friends into a card when you're sick of them anytime you want.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Color Printer posted:

It's really weird that they recolored some of the Heartless bosses (the armor was different colors in the other LP, it's purple here) for KH1 Final Mix, but then didn't recolor them for Re:Chain of Memories. And then they put them together into 1.5 Remix, and still didn't change them..........even though they're on the same disc???????

The armor was originally purple in the normal non Final Mix KH game so that's what they went with here.

I was kinda hoping that' they'd take the opportunity to fix some of the problems in the GBA version here but I guess that didn't happen. Like bringing out Donald and Goofy- who are extremely useful now that they don't have health bars to lose- having a charge up animation for some reason.

I hope we go to the Pride Lands so we can ask why we got Simba and not the much better fighter, Nala.

I also hope you guys get specific about what things you think could've been done better with this card system as the LP goes on.

Also, who else do you think will be a summon, people in this thread?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MelvinBison posted:

Were summons that useless in the GBA release? It feels like they should've been harder to avoid on a a smaller screen.

I think that's just a Simba problem. He wasn't that great in KH1 either if you recall.

Mostly because he's the first summon, so he can't be too powerful, I'm sure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm just amazed there wasn't a big twist where he goes 'Who's Kairi?' when Goofy mentions her. Maybe instead he forgot about Riku? I'd consider that a good thing, that guy's a jerk.

We just got in through the door and everyone lost every power, skill, item, and keyblade accrued over the last game. There'll be plenty of time for them to forget more things and wonder why the hell they're dressed like that and wonder where are they now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man this game was a lot easier to stomach on the Gba with no voice acting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

Agreed, but also I'm one of Those People and I really like the spritework

Goofy's voice actor is a treasure though

Sprites being so much cheaper than 3D modeling helps since you avoid the Ceaseless Horrors Genie face. Draw a few faces, make em all blink and you're basically done.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

More and more... I find myself getting...less and less down with the voice...acting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i legit think quinton flynn as axel in this is a lot of fun, but the rest of the voice direction feels very stiff and kinda like they just didn't have enough budget and/or time to spend on making everyone ham up?

donald and goofy are always a blessing tho.

Yeah, it's weird. Goofy started talking and it stuck out to me in a 'Oh, he's saying things fast enough to sound like a regular person would talk like that' kinda way but it seems like Sora just keeps...pausing all the time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

this game's plot reads like fanfiction good lord

I can't believe they didn't take advantage of the framing to make the bosses better. Like, good lord, the entire premise is that Sora's forgetting poo poo, why wouldn't you make Oogie Boogie's boss fight less of a pain in the rear end?

edit: Well, I mean, fun.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 29, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

he's so jealous and jilted, it's adorable

I can't tell if this is possessed Riku who's remembering being sassy about finding Sora since they got separated or not possessed Riku who's just remembering being possessed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

all of us at the Golden Boys LP Group (i just made that name up, look forward to seeing it on the news soon!) think Final Fight was kickass and good. don't worry though, if all plans go right after this we'll be LPing a lil something IGN awarded the title of "game"

Oh sweet. Finally, the long awaited FutureFriend LP of Epic Battle Fantasy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like I've been Yamcha'd, looking at this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i think a big problem also with the three hit combo having different properties for every keyblade type is that a) in the heat of combat, most people won't remember what type does what and its not notified and b) sleights kinda gently caress up constructing to deal with that since it takes away one of your cards, so uhm scroll the gently caress around while getting ur rear end kicked to do the best damage? its kind of a mess that doesn't work with the rest of the systems.

I just tried to phase Kingdom Keys out of my deck and replace them with whatever had the most strength at the time. Not having any means to rapidly grind through enemies is a real problem though. Having a chance of getting more than one card drop that also increased as the game went on would've been nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hades on GBA was the big roadblock for me. I kinda transferred that fear over here too, not realizing how much easier things would be with a third dimension.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Or a Marilyn Manson line.

Or something Eeyore would say.

Man, it's so jarring when you get a good line out of this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

XainZero posted:

It's hecked up how the best strategy against human sized bosses is to spam sonic blade forever because it just stun locks them.

The time stop one is so much better if you just want fights to end. Or you're really invested in the story of Kingdom Hearts and are just thankful for a simple way to deal with those mighty black robed bosses. Wish I'd known about it when I played the GBA version.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

I am almost certain Lethal Frame did not exist in the GBA version.

Hey, it might've. My strategy was to amass hordes of decently numbered Cloud cards and then just use that, for the most part, to hack off huge chunks of health.

And, that's all I remember, because he's so powerful. I probably used Sonic Blade too, since I think it sits in that spot of 'less than 27, higher than 20' to make one.

Also, I had to gif Vexen dying. But only since it features a line delivered snappily.

http://i.imgur.com/bKFMR5N.mp4

Also, all I could think of when he said 'please don't' was Weasel screaming before getting his head slammed by a door again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

In the GBA version Riku 4 and Larxene 2 were so hard for me that I actually quit the game the first time I played it. They were brutal.

Larxene 2 was a cakewalk for me but Riku 4 took forever to beat because of that portal sleight he keeps using.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, thanks to all this monologuing, I finally get it.

Larxene sounds like a more obnoxious Peridot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Dumbass confession time: this was the first KH game I played and I didn't bother to read up on the plot of 1 beforehand so I all that I knew about it was beating up Disney villains with a giant key, and also there is an existential darkness. As such I fell for the "Namine is your long-lost buddy!" trap hook, line, and sinker, pretty much until the end of Destiny Islands where you see an image of Kairi and the game goes "hey remember her dummy?"

Well how were you supposed to know?

I just can't believe that the Riku that's been hunting us this whole time turned out to be nothing more than a filthy rrrrreplicaaaaaaaa!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

I somehow beat Marluxia first try on the GBA version, but I died to him in this version 3 times because he kept dodging Lethal Frame by teleporting and I just wound up wasting all my sleights. For reference, I'm fairly certain the GBA fight was harder. Really, that goes for nearly all the fights, having access to a larger 3-d plane makes many of the fights in Re:CoM easier than its GBA original.

I took Marluxia down on my second try but Axel must've taken at least a dozen attempts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kairi is such a noncharacter and Sora's so dense that it's shocking that Namine thought she had to slowly change his memories of her over eight floors of Kingdom Hearts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PrinceAwful posted:

Eagerly anticipating Riku's story. Even though it's a slog, It has in my opinion, the best plot in the Kingdom Hearts series.

It's a lot easier to play compared to Sora's version too.

The grind isn't nearly as bad, at least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey Futurefriend, could you post that picture you're using as the thumbnail? I can't really make out any of the details via youtube.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neat! Thanks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, thanks to this art, now I notice how short Riku's dumb gloves are.

Also, while the writing in these first two games hasn't been stellar, Ansem's voice acting is still phenomenal.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh sweet the adventures of DARKNESS boy are back!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I love how smell is a plot point in Riku's story that comes out of nowhere and for no real reason. Kingdom Hearts plot, folks.

Snikt bub, snikt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bobjr posted:

Axel doesn't look like he took a pounding from Sora.

So far all injuries have been communicated via body language so I'm not seeing a huge difference here from the norm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I bet you liked that boss. You, FutureFriend, leader of the 'I ain't no nerd' party.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FF is free. He has escaped anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I totally forgot that Joshua Graham was in this game.

• Locked thread