Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

In terms of story, Chain of Memories remains my favorite game in the series. The story is self-contained and doesn't need knowledge of the rest of the series to be understandable, and the setting is downright terrifying.

Castle Oblivion is a horrible place. The hallways aren't just blank and featureless but empty, painful to look at for any period of time. The walls and floor don't even cast any reflection, nor does there seem to be any echo off the walls, or really anything to perceive at all. You don't want to spend any time in the intermediary areas, because you're so deprived of sensation that it feels like every moment you're there, something is slipping away from you.

The memory loss is the other thing. The moment Sora stepped into the castle it should have been clear that it was a mistake to enter, that he should have gotten right the gently caress back out of there and not looked back. He couldn't though, because the castle had already taken away something precious from him; he was rendered totally helpless. He keeps venturing deeper into the castle, hoping to get back his memories of how to fight, so he can defend himself in a way other than this awkward, clumsy cardbattling that he has to resort to. But every time Sora recovers a card with one of his memories, Castle Oblivion quietly steals three more from him.

I'm going to quote this post just in case you look back on it later and realize you're overthinking it. It's Disney Jesus entering a Nomura land with Nomura characters and beating up cute little Disney monsters with Disney pals, and any story it has is something that edgelord "I want the villain to win" Nomura just threw in without much thought put into it other than "do I think it's cool?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That is not at all the Organization's mission, but OK, whatever weirdo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The problem with that idea is that the soul is explicitly mentioned in Ansem the Wise's Reports. It's one of the three components of a being. The body, the heart, the soul, and losing any one or more of them makes something bad happen to you.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Honestly, the Hundred Acre Woods are unironically consistently my most favorite worlds in the Kingdom Hearts series, and I go back and forth on whether I'd like for them to return for KH3. I think for me personally the Hundred Acre Woods resonates really strongly with my own childhood, where if I remember correctly (I may not be mind you) my first story I was able to read on my own was a modern adaptation of a Winnie the Pooh story. I just really enjoy the innocent nature of the world throughout the games it has shown up in and how it's mostly all harmless fun minigames. Unfortunately I don't think the nature of the Hundred Acre Woods has much of a place in whatever new KH games Square makes now, but that's alright, I like them fine and the way the world ends in every game it shows up in is a good finish where if it didn't show up again it would be understandable and reasonable.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Also Firaga Burst is an extremely powerful Sleight that just nukes the whole screen pretty much. Magic in general in this game is super good for farming enemies for Moogle Points, EXP, or whatever because stuff like Firaga Burst just wipes them out. The only things Firaga Burst won't consistently one shot are things that either nullify or absorb fire and some of the enemies on the final floor.

The painful thing about trying to grind though is the same problem as everything else in this game. It's reliant on RNG whether you get the magic cards you need to make farming easier, and to do that you need to, of course, farm some more. Also because IIRC all the good crowd control magic sleights, which I think there are two others, one of wind and one of thunder??? I don't know, it's been a while since I've played Re:CoM, are all locked away behind chests and secret rooms I think later on. Firaga Burst is probably the easiest one to get since Rabbit just gives you this ultimate hell fire spell.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In the GBA fight I was legitimately stymied on Hook for a long while because RNG had been very bad to me. And I mean extremely bad. I finished that game with a deck comprised of nothing but Kingdom Key attack cards because very little else would drop for me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I think ChorpSaway's "Oh my God, he's beautiful." is one of the best lines he has ever said.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I am almost certain Lethal Frame did not exist in the GBA version.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In the GBA version Riku 4 and Larxene 2 were so hard for me that I actually quit the game the first time I played it. They were brutal.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I somehow beat Marluxia first try on the GBA version, but I died to him in this version 3 times because he kept dodging Lethal Frame by teleporting and I just wound up wasting all my sleights. For reference, I'm fairly certain the GBA fight was harder. Really, that goes for nearly all the fights, having access to a larger 3-d plane makes many of the fights in Re:CoM easier than its GBA original.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Marluxia's final form was in the GBA version, you're thinking of the second phase, which is Re:CoM exclusive. Also his final form is hilariously easy. I actually didn't see half of his attacks because I was using a Lethal Frame card build and just exploded him basically within 2-3 minutes.

Another thing to note is all the Organization members have a specific "element" that they can use and control. Marluxia's, from my memory, is "Flowers". He's such a stupid head.

I can't wait for KH3 to replace the theme with something different at LAST I'M SO SICK OF SIMPLE AND CLEAN I'M CLEAN AND SIMPLE ENOUGH KINGDOM HEARTS I'M SQUEAKY CLEAN.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's probably for the best that you're skipping most of the Disney worlds, because Riku has some really bad world decks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Lex's fight is one of my favorites in both this game and the original. There's something about it I really dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I compeltely forgot that Zexion's reaction to hearing that Riku iced Lexaeus and Sora killed Marluxia was "yeah, I got this." Like, come on dude, what are you even thinking.

• Locked thread