Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Like Clockwork posted:

Boy oh boy, it's that game I thought looked cool when I was an idiot teen!

And of course, like most of those games but unlike most of the other inexplicably card-based ones, it turns out that it is actually bad. :v: At least your commentary makes sitting through Sora being dumb and animes being animes tolerable.

I'm pretty sure it's all the fault of the lovely 3d conversion. Chain of Memories for GBA was good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Anoia posted:

With Donald Duck and Goofy helping.

Deep, serious stuff.

Kingdom Hearts' target audience are teenage edgelords, so I don't see why it shouldn't have a bit of existential dread.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I'm glad they decided to improve on Agrabah by giving Genie a perpetual wide-eyed stare like he's taken up a heroin habit.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

RareAcumen posted:

Sprites being so much cheaper than 3D modeling helps since you avoid the Ceaseless Horrors Genie face. Draw a few faces, make em all blink and you're basically done.

The amount of blinking isn't even the biggest problem.

Letting Genie look straight at anything basically makes him seem psychotic.

They sidestep that issue in the Disney film and the first KH by having him always look to the side or down. Genie still looks really shifty, but at least you don't get to focus on his pinpoint pupils. Keeping him in motion also prevents you from looking at his rictus grin for more than a fraction of a second.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Gologle posted:

The problem with that idea is that the soul is explicitly mentioned in Ansem the Wise's Reports. It's one of the three components of a being. The body, the heart, the soul, and losing any one or more of them makes something bad happen to you.

That's assuming that Kingdom Hearts defines soul the same way Western society does nowadays. It doesn't. The soul is just life force, the heart is your self. It's basically a medieval/ fairy tale view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

thetoughestbean posted:

So, it's pretty obvious that Namine is replacing Sora's memories of Kairi. Is she going to start replacing other characters, too?

"Gawrsh, Sora, what was the name of the big blue guy in the lamp?"
"Namine?"

By the way, I thought this exchange was really spot on:

MelvinBison posted:

Looper posted:

this game's plot reads like fanfiction good lord

Replace "Namine" with an OC/Self-Insert and you're done.

That's pretty much the pitch for this game's plot, isn't it? Namine is writing her own self-insert fan fiction.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 18, 2017

• Locked thread