Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Paris' scenes in Spring are incredible

that door kick :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hope and vaseline posted:

I love how unrelenting the writers were in their takedown of Rory though. It felt like a logical culmination of her missteps from season 4 onwards, but without any get out of jail free cards she got (except maybe the mystery of how the gently caress she's paying for her plane fare)

edit: oh yeah I forgot about her trust fund stuff. And I guess she probably got a fair bit from Richard's will as well.

Mandrel posted:

Rory is truly a garbage person

I love the people I'm seeing on facebook/reddit/twitter that think this is new or 'character assassination' for Rory. The only person she didn't cheat on in the show was Jess. Hell, she even had her first time with a married man. Rory is a massive gently caress up and that's why she's interesting. A lot more talent then her mother but a much much bigger screw up. Lorelai 2 is Lorelai: Harder.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 26, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I agree with that totally. Logan and Rory are horrible but they're interesting (if not infuriating) to watch. That, to me, is the point. I sympathize for the Rory that could've been but she's routinely been a fuckup.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I love the people I'm seeing on facebook/reddit/twitter that think this is new or 'character assassination' for Rory. The only person she didn't cheat on in the show was Jess. Hell, she even had her first time with a married man. Rory is a massive gently caress up and that's why she's interesting. A lot more talent then her mother but a much much bigger screw up. Lorelai 2 is Lorelai: Harder.

Oh no doubt, I hated her on the original show as well. My girlfriend hates Dean but he was always my favorite just for actually coming to his senses and getting the gently caress away from her

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A lot more talent then her mother but a much much bigger screw up. Lorelai 2 is Lorelai: Harder.
I think even that's debatable, the impression I always got was that she was smart enough to easily do the whole Ivy League thing if she wanted, but was never close to being as interested in school as Rory. I mean, Lorelai is written to be pretty much amazing at whatever she tries to do, she just never really tried at school

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looking forward to the last two episodes after work. As someone who is insane and rewatched all seven seasons over the past two weeks it amazes me how easily everyone slipped back into their characters, even physically-- especially physically with Liza Weil. The writing has been tight so far and I'm more than happy with the outcome, even if Fall and Summer end up dipping below the quality of the first two episodes.

Rory's current situation fits her perfectly. Look forward to reading people trying to say it's somehow all wrong for her.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Man, two episodes in and this is really disappointing so far. Lorelei and Rory have always been terrible people to a degree, but between Lorelei being unable to hold her tongue at her dads wake and Rory cheating yet again I'm having a hard time sympathizing with them at all and enjoying their antics. Kinda feels like they're doubling down on the worst traits of the characters rather than having had them grow in a positive direction at all over the past ten years.

Like I see the logic to the characters being these people in ten years time, the lack of growth just makes it kinda annoying to watch for me personally.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FoxTerrier posted:

Man, two episodes in and this is really disappointing so far. Lorelei and Rory have always been terrible people to a degree, but between Lorelei being unable to hold her tongue at her dads wake and Rory cheating yet again I'm having a hard time sympathizing with them at all and enjoying their antics. Kinda feels like they're doubling down on the worst traits of the characters rather than having had them grow in a positive direction at all over the past ten years.

Then again, both being at super rough times of their lives and not sure how to move on makes it make sense that they're kind of falling into their old foils. Depression can make you a lovely person.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Also the musical went on for way, way too long.

I haven't finished that episode yet because I lost the will to watch it after I fast forwarded through some, then a few minutes went by of them arguing over it... I just couldn't watch anymore I was so bored.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Last five minutes of summer and more musical poo poo? Ugh

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Why the hell is Rory broke? Two trust funds and I know her grandpa left her something. Yet she is broke and a Yale graduate yet she can't get a job. It's just dumb.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Unless something happens in the last two episodes, Rory isn't broke. She's clearly using her trust fund to jet set around constantly while trying to write.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

She's not broke, but she keeps going on about how she's broke. It's another major entitlement disconnect with her.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sarah posted:

Last five minutes of summer and more musical poo poo? Ugh

:alexa: that last song was fantastic.

(Yes, the first segment was WAY too long. Reign it in, Daniel.)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Across the Universe Montage was also way too long.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Pinwiz11 posted:

:alexa: that last song was fantastic.

(Yes, the first segment was WAY too long. Reign it in, Daniel.)

It was good, but I had to reel myself back in after being angry that there was so much of a time sink earlier in the episode. It just seemed like it went on so long because the writer couldn't fill up the episode with anything meaningful.

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014
Winter was the worst episode to me. I watched it, and it felt off throughout - wasn't sure how the rest would go.

After watching the rest, though, I think that Winter was meant to feel off.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My wife loves Gilmore Girls and she just finished it and immediately asked if they were making more. She was super pissed at the very last bit. (spoilered just to be safe)

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Time to re-watch the last episode oh my god

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thoughts after Winter...

+ Gilmore Girls is back!
- the inevitable awkwardness of jumping back in 9 years later can't be escaped, and that opening scene amplified it

- I'm still very sad that Edward Hermann passed and isn't in the show anymore
+ it's made for the best storyline by far, and I think he'd be very happy with it

+ Sebastian Bach and Lane Kim haven't really aged
- holy poo poo, Zack looks like he's 50

+ this is the only show on earth where the minor characters still doing the same thing they've ever done feels completely right
- Paris, the best character, fees shoe horned in

+ I think I heard Babette
- I don't have a tshirt saying I think I heard Babette

Revival shows can't ever meet the hype and something does feel a little off, probably due to shift in tech and maybe some crew, and with the pacing and timing being affected by the doubling of the runtime it feels like a show that's getting back into the swing after 9 years, and that's gonna come with some flaws. There's so much good though, I laughed a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing the next 3 episodes which I'll pace over the next week or so.

Seeing modern cars in Stars Hollow feels so weird and I don't know why.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watched the whole thing. Main takeaway is that Lauren Graham is still a drat good actress. And it was nice seeing her talk to Peter Krause in that small scene.

Alexis Bledel is still a terrible actor.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Kirk is still the best.

Bill Door
Dec 30, 2008
I was pretty happy with this overall Rory's lovely behavior notwithstanding.

Poor Paul, can't believe Mae Whitman had a Cameo and no mention of the fact he was basically male Ann Veal.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Where was Mae Whitman? I must have missed her. Was she in the background somewhere?

e: o wait was she the chick in one of the lines?

Speaking of cameos I wish there had been more Bunheads ones, but the best mains were all there and any bg characters were all GG actors anyway.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 26, 2016

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

esperterra posted:

Where was Mae Whitman? I must have missed her. Was she in the background somewhere?

e: o wait was she the chick in one of the lines?

Yes, she was in the pastry line.

Edit:

esperterra posted:

Speaking of cameos I wish there had been more Bunheads ones, but the best mains were all there and any bg characters were all GG actors anyway.

I wish Boo could have been in it. Melanie, I'm indifferent about.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 26, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bill Door posted:

I was pretty happy with this overall Rory's lovely behavior notwithstanding.

Poor Paul, can't believe Mae Whitman had a Cameo and no mention of the fact he was basically male Ann Veal.

That joke was so obviously lifted from AD that when Egg finally popped up I questioned for a moment if it was intentional (it wasn't).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

By the way, it's now my head canon that (ending spoiler) Rory got pregnant from the Wookie.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I missed Mae Whitman and the Gilmore Guys cameos.

I rewatched the ending and realised that Lorelei is dressed as Amy Sherman-Palladino at the wedding. That crazy dress and hat combo is so ASP.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mae was the kid Lorelai gives a cronut or whatever that was while waiting at a line in New York. The guys were one of the b-list celebs at the dragonfly inn.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought there was a lot of character assassination regarding Rory, Lorelai, and Luke. And to me, season 7 did a lot of that, so I don't really understand why the Palladino's tried to pretend season 7 didn't happen because they basically did the same beats.

The cameos were great, but I feel like this could've easily been whittled down to a 2.5-3 hour movie and it would've benefited from a title card saying this takes place in 08 or 09. Some of the references just feel really dated. loving flash mobs, really?

Emily's storyline was great. I feel like she has moved way beyond being the antagonist/villain of the show, and I thought they handled Richard's death perfectly.

Also that musical and Life and Death Brigade scenes went on entirely too long.

And yeah, Rori is kind of a gently caress up but I kind of wonder how much of that is because of Bidel's limited acting range?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

She just doesn't come across as someone who is 9 years older/more experienced than when we last saw her. And yeah, Bledel was pretty painful in that opening scene.

I think a lot has to do with the age dynamic, the show being based around a 32/16 year old should be a lot different to a 48/32 year old, but she still comes across as a child.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I feel that's kind of the point, honestly. Rory grew up with nothing but constant praise and the whole town and her family treating her like she walked on air. She's spent the past decade not wanting for anything and allowed to do whatever comes to mind. Richard's death is meant to be a turning point in their lives, though Emily and Lorelai moreso. Then those four final words are meant to be the turning point for Rory.

Now she has to finally grow up, even if she isn't ready. I almost think it works better with her being older, though they would have packed a bigger punch when she was 22.

Even if that wasn't what ASP was going for, it certainly fits to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I don't think it's unintentional either. To be honest, the show wouldn't be as good if she fulfilled her potential.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I agree. It feels like Rory hasn't grown at all, and that we're watching a fresh college grad rather than someone in their early 30s. You can tell that most of the storylines were written for the characters 10 years ago, with Rory's nomadic lifestyle and Luke and Lorelei discussing a baby despite being nearly 50.

How has Rory done so badly in her career anyway? She was hired by that Providence newspaper in season 7 so she could have found a similar job after covering the Obama campaign. She's a Yale grad, had family money behind her to do unpaid internships if she wanted, and was apparently a fairly talented writer. It was definitely a storyline for a 22 year old.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I never got the impression she had a bad career, just that we came into the story when she was stuck in a rut.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SEX BURRITO posted:

I agree. It feels like Rory hasn't grown at all, and that we're watching a fresh college grad rather than someone in their early 30s. You can tell that most of the storylines were written for the characters 10 years ago, with Rory's nomadic lifestyle and Luke and Lorelei discussing a baby despite being nearly 50.

How has Rory done so badly in her career anyway? She was hired by that Providence newspaper in season 7 so she could have found a similar job after covering the Obama campaign. She's a Yale grad, had family money behind her to do unpaid internships if she wanted, and was apparently a fairly talented writer. It was definitely a storyline for a 22 year old.

She's too elitist. She almost got that New York Times job and she probably didn't want to fall too below that. I think she's been doing freelance for like 8 years.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I got worried when it looked like Emily was losing her mind. Realizing her whole life was artificial bullshit and ultimately finding joy in terrifying children and parents with excruciatingly vivid descriptions of whaling was an amazing swerve.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I still have an hour left on the last episode but unless the show somehow really shits the bed in that short time this was pretty much everything I hoped for. I agree that at the very least Winter and Spring were very clearly written 10 years ago with those plotlines but it's more than made up by everyone being so great and the overall story still being satisfying to watch play out.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I never watched gilmore girls growing up but semi binged it about 2-3 years ago. I thought the revival was great, Rory still sucks, Emily is even cooler than usual and while the final 4 words were not something I saw coming they make total sense. I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think that the Life and Death Brigade should be shoved into the world's largest toilet and flushed, because they are poo poo

• Locked thread