Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Paperhouse posted:

They could easily write it to be Jess', we don't have to see literally everything that happens. We didn't see her sleep with the wookie but we know she did. Having said that I'm pretty sure it would be Logan's if they do write more. It would very much parallel Lorelai's pregnancy - a kid fathered by a rich, privileged guy who loves her but can never really be what she wants/needs due to his family and his commitments etc.

Who gives a gently caress about the family tree though, btw.

"Guys they're not blood related but it would look really weird on a family tree"-Idiot that forgot that Trix married her first cousin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

They could write it to be Jess but it would be horrible writing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

hope and vaseline posted:

They could write it to be Jess but it would be horrible writing.

so business as usual

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Guys they're not blood related but it would look really weird on a family tree"-Idiot that forgot that Trix married her first cousin

also this

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Logan and Rory were supposed to parallel Chris and Lorelai, so Logan = Rory's baby daddy makes perfect sense for her to end up with Jess (which she was supposed to if they got a Season 8 in the original run)

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I don't honestly care who the baby daddy is, as long as Logan is in it much, much less.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It was not uncommon back then to marry family members to keep wealth in the family, which is why Trix saw nothing wrong with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Who's the one other person we know she met up with? Christopher. He's done it again, the cad!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Paperhouse posted:

They could easily write it to be Jess', we don't have to see literally everything that happens. We didn't see her sleep with the wookie but we know she did. Having said that I'm pretty sure it would be Logan's if they do write more. It would very much parallel Lorelai's pregnancy - a kid fathered by a rich, privileged guy who loves her but can never really be what she wants/needs due to his family and his commitments etc.

Who gives a gently caress about the family tree though, btw.

Except Logan could have been there for her. The only reason they're not together is because she turned him down because everything is 100% one way or the other on this show and everyone is dumb as a sack of rocks. For all his imperfections Logan was 100% there for Rory and wanted to be with her.

Rory's whole arc in the revival makes infinitely more sense if this was just season 8 of an original run when she was ~22 not ~32. I feel like she had her plans for Rory and just stuck to them even though it doesn't make sense given the time difference.

I hate that I love talking about how dumb this dumb show is.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ouhei posted:

Except Logan could have been there for her. The only reason they're not together is because she turned him down because everything is 100% one way or the other on this show and everyone is dumb as a sack of rocks. For all his imperfections Logan was 100% there for Rory and wanted to be with her.

Rory's whole arc in the revival makes infinitely more sense if this was just season 8 of an original run when she was ~22 not ~32. I feel like she had her plans for Rory and just stuck to them even though it doesn't make sense given the time difference.

I hate that I love talking about how dumb this dumb show is.

Except when he was engaged to another woman in the revival.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

thrawn527 posted:

Except when he was engaged to another woman in the revival.

I was referring to the original show. If things had gone how Logan wanted they would have been married and this other girl would never have been in the picture. Rory decided she didn't want that and he (sort of) moved on. It really feels like they tried to ignore that season 7 happened for many characters, Logan being one of the more egregious examples.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 5, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ouhei posted:

I was referring to the original show. If things had gone how Logan wanted they would have been married and this other girl would never have been in the picture. Rory decided she didn't want that and he (sort of) moved on. It really feels like they tried to ignore that season 7 happened for many characters, Logan being one of the more egregious examples.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with that. By season 7, Logan had actually shown growth from where he started. A Year In the Life decided to reverse that.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thrawn527 posted:

Oh yeah, I completely agree with that. By season 7, Logan had actually shown growth from where he started. A Year In the Life decided to reverse that.

Logan is a rough character and I'm team Season 6-Got-His-Life-Together-Jess, but Logan was the only Rory boyfriend willing to love her on her terms. Dean threw a hissy fit at everything all the time, and as much as I like Jess, he was kind of an rear end when they were together in Season 3. Logan had some personality problems but I think as far as the relationships go they were the healthiest.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Jess for her. He's the one that finally convinced her she's not a good journalist and should write a book instead. She's always been into literature and I never understood why she wanted to work for newspapers.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

landgrabber posted:

Logan is a rough character and I'm team Season 6-Got-His-Life-Together-Jess, but Logan was the only Rory boyfriend willing to love her on her terms. Dean threw a hissy fit at everything all the time, and as much as I like Jess, he was kind of an rear end when they were together in Season 3. Logan had some personality problems but I think as far as the relationships go they were the healthiest.

Logan and Rory's relationship s5-6 (haven't really seen 7 since the original airing and I don't remember a lot) can hardly be called healthy. They bring out the worst in each other, and occasionally some good, but I mean their relationship is always rocky and at worst, they're actively cheating on each other. Even Lorelai has whiplash trying to figure out if they're currently together or not for most of season 6.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mu Zeta posted:

It's Jess for her. He's the one that finally convinced her she's not a good journalist and should write a book instead. She's always been into literature and I never understood why she wanted to work for newspapers.

Chilton teacher is probably the perfect job for her. She can share her love of books and has an army of admiring teenagers hanging on her every word.

As far back as season 2 Jess pointed out that Rory was way too sheltered to be a foreign correspondent. Imagine going to report in Syria and falling asleep mid interview because you're boooooored. At least she lowered her ambition to writing feature-y poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hope and vaseline posted:

Logan and Rory's relationship s5-6 (haven't really seen 7 since the original airing and I don't remember a lot) can hardly be called healthy. They bring out the worst in each other, and occasionally some good, but I mean their relationship is always rocky and at worst, they're actively cheating on each other. Even Lorelai has whiplash trying to figure out if they're currently together or not for most of season 6.

Plus they never really cared enough to help each other. They both take really really passive roles in each other's lives to the point that Logan basically bankrolls Rory's 'break' from Yale where she's basically throwing her dreams and drive away.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SEX BURRITO posted:

Chilton teacher is probably the perfect job for her. She can share her love of books and has an army of admiring teenagers hanging on her every word

I thought that was the direction the show was going but Rorie rolled her eyes so hard at the job offer I think she'd rather kill herself than be a teacher.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought that was the direction the show was going but Rorie rolled her eyes so hard at the job offer I think she'd rather kill herself than be a teacher.

To me, the show made it look like a comfy, well-paying job teaching at Chilton was ugh totally the worst and way below what Super Rory was capable of. I think the creators overestimate the audience' desire for Rory to simply follow her bliss at this stage in her life.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 12, 2017

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Why take a steady and probably well paid job at one of the country's best schools? Ugh they'd totally support her through her masters and everything. And she'd have spare time to write her self indulgent Gilmore Girls book. But no, being a teacher isn't as exciting as pretending to be a writer.

I actually used to stick up for Rory before the revival. I'm sure she's what most baby boomers think all millenials are like.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can also teach at community colleges with a Master's but I'm sure she wouldn't be caught dead in one of those campuses

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

SEX BURRITO posted:

Why take a steady and probably well paid job at one of the country's best schools? Ugh they'd totally support her through her masters and everything. And she'd have spare time to write her self indulgent Gilmore Girls book. But no, being a teacher isn't as exciting as pretending to be a writer.

I actually used to stick up for Rory before the revival. I'm sure she's what most baby boomers think all millenials are like.

Yeah that really pissed me off about the revival -- poo poo like the 30 something gang reeks of boomer stink.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The 30 something gang was clearly a joke, and the whole thing felt like Stars Hollow without dragging on too long

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Sarah posted:

I feel like I'm the only one surprised Rory never grew up. Growing up she worked hard in some aspects, but in others she did have things handed to her. Adult Rory walked into that interview with the crazy woman expecting the job to be handed over. The other she was asked what she's working on and her response "Well, I'm here. Hello!". She's doing nothing with all the time she has? She had a Headmaster from her prestigious high school school tell her to get her Masters and he's got a job waiting for her, and she shrugged it off. She whines she's broke when there's no way she burned through all that money from her trust fund. She is not interested in working for income, only working to be a known writer.

These are writing flaws more than anything. I rewatched the show recently and there's a truly cringeworthy episode where Rory tries to get a job / internship by essentially stalking and harassing her contact there, in a bad parody of 'showing initiative'.

I'm not really sure they know how to write anything about getting and not getting jobs.

Besides that, with regards to her rejecting the Chilton offer (which is a pity offer, basically), real and pragmatic career decisions don't lend themselves to a dramatic arc of what was a family/teen drama.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 15, 2017

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

These are writing flaws more than anything. I rewatched the show recently and there's a truly cringeworthy episode where Rory tries to get a job / internship by essentially stalking and harassing her contact there, in a bad parody of 'showing initiative'.

I'm not really sure they know how to write anything about getting and not getting jobs.

Then the guy says Yes and they never mention it again. It's really stupid.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I kinda hate the video, but I'm a big fan of the theory. It makes the revival much more interesting:
http://www.cracked.com/video_20303_the-gilmore-girls-fan-theory-we-didnt-know-we-needed.html

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So I've been re-watching the show and I've gotten to the point where Rory steals the boat. Richard and his lawyer friend he is getting to defend her are just casually laughing about the time he defended the guy who embezzled away the pension fund and oh what fun that was, and I'm just sitting here like "oh my god you people are monsters"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hangedman1984 posted:

So I've been re-watching the show and I've gotten to the point where Rory steals the boat. Richard and his lawyer friend he is getting to defend her are just casually laughing about the time he defended the guy who embezzled away the pension fund and oh what fun that was, and I'm just sitting here like "oh my god you people are monsters"

Do we ever learn exactly what Richard does?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

something something insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

notthegoatseguy posted:

Vice president at an insurance company. Which involves lots of foreign business travel for some reason.

• Locked thread