Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought there was a lot of character assassination regarding Rory, Lorelai, and Luke. And to me, season 7 did a lot of that, so I don't really understand why the Palladino's tried to pretend season 7 didn't happen because they basically did the same beats.

The cameos were great, but I feel like this could've easily been whittled down to a 2.5-3 hour movie and it would've benefited from a title card saying this takes place in 08 or 09. Some of the references just feel really dated. loving flash mobs, really?

Emily's storyline was great. I feel like she has moved way beyond being the antagonist/villain of the show, and I thought they handled Richard's death perfectly.

Also that musical and Life and Death Brigade scenes went on entirely too long.

And yeah, Rori is kind of a gently caress up but I kind of wonder how much of that is because of Bidel's limited acting range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

How on Earth could anyone who watched the series think this was an assassination of Rory? Once she graduates from Chilton (and even a bit before that) she is a genuinely horrific human being. She cheats on every boyfriend (at least emotionally) and embodies the worst excesses and privileges of both her mom and her grandparents.

Rory is a total disaster and ASP rightly doubled-down on it.

In my opinion, I can understand Rory being a total disaster. But it would make a lot more sense being a disaster as a 20-something just out of college (like at the end of season 7) rather than a 30-something. Not that people can't have midlife crises at all, but it really does appear Rory has been bumming around people's various homes and Stars Hollow for the past 13 years without any real persistent job at all. I'm not saying this is necessarily out of character for Rory, but it really seems like ASP wrote this 13 years ago and did the most bare-bones tweaking for it to make sense in 2016.

Notably, the stupid loving "do you want to have a kid?" storyline with Luke and Lorelai was horrible. Again, it probably made sense 13 years ago. Having that conversation when you're 9 years into a relationship is really astounding.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My one major problem with the Revival is that since it was trying to do so much in so little time (And a major cast member couldn't make it back for the majority of the shoot) we're really Gilmore focused, and while that is the name of the show Lane used to be one of the main characters and her problems got a lot of screentime during the show so to see her regulated to like 3 scenes and standing in the background really bums me out.

I agree to an extent, but it was nice at least one character was given a happy ending. I mean gently caress, they had Paris freak out over the Tristan stand-in.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

oliwan posted:

looks like I wasn't the only one who thought this was total garbage:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13765088/gilmore-girls-year-in-the-life-review-netflix

The new Gilmore Girls is weirdly hostile toward fans, women, and storytelling in general

The Park Rangers were incredibly sexist. That really stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I really don't remember the original GG series being overtly sexist towards women.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

FoxTerrier posted:

On the plus side, Emily and Paris continue to be goddesses, and Emily's storyline really was great.

But even with Paris, someone who seemed strong and established and confident in herself in her college years, basically had it all fall apart when her loving high school crush is seen for like 5 seconds. I'm fine with her and Doyle breaking up for whatever reason, but her little meltdown was, I think, was poorly written. It is like ASP really didn't want too many characters to be successful and have happy endings.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hangedman1984 posted:

So I've been re-watching the show and I've gotten to the point where Rory steals the boat. Richard and his lawyer friend he is getting to defend her are just casually laughing about the time he defended the guy who embezzled away the pension fund and oh what fun that was, and I'm just sitting here like "oh my god you people are monsters"

Do we ever learn exactly what Richard does?

• Locked thread