Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Vagrant Story would be a dope game to get a sequel or even just an HD remake that cleaned up a bunch of janky poo poo, but I realize that isn't going to happen so hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
For what it's worth my understanding was that the pre-Falcon portion of the world of ruin in FF6 was supposed to last a lot longer than it did, and it was cut for size and complexity reasons. The biggest hint we have of that is after the Falcon takes off and the hopeful Looking for Friends song kicks in, Edgar's immediate comment is "I'm starting to think we might actually pull this off" when he just joined up a second ago basically

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
One question I wonder about is did the merger with Enix ruin Square or was it just going to happen anyway? Final Fantasy X from Square was the last okay FF. Since the merger with Square-Enix though I haven't liked a single RPG from them yet.

What I'm starting to say now is I loved Squaresoft but I hate Square-Enix.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Spirits Within is what led to the shakeup of Square. The Enix owned franchises like Dragon Quest are consistently great.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Things that turn me off of bad Final Fantasies and bad JRPGs in general:

-Boring intros. Ask most people what their favorite FF games are, and they'll usually say something like 6,7, or 9. Note that those games' openings had you in a fight or established some kind of conflict at some point within the first 15 minutes or so. There's conflict and tension right from the start that not only gets you playing the game, but giving events to help develop characters.

-Bad characters. What the hell is anyone's motivation anymore? Everybody's just 20 or younger and mad. In FF6, you had a human-monster hybrid girl on the run from an evil empire, a well-meaning thief rebel whose actions were always being influenced by his crush on said monster lady or his desire to fight against the Empire, and a king who pretended to play ball with the Empire but secretly opposed them on pure moral grounds who gave up security for what he thought was right. I don't feel any sort of humanity in the characters anymore. They're usually just there because the plot says they are.

-Tetsuya Nomura's character designs are bad. FF7 gets poo poo on for this, but I think it's one of the best games to show the problems as it has a share of genuinely good designs and bad designs to compare with one another. Everything in Cid's clothing and appearance have him set up as a washed-out pilot who spends all day working on machinery. Nothing in Sephiroth's clothing seems to say anything about him. He doesn't look like a high-ranking soldier turned drifter/cult leader thing. He's just anime, wears a leather trench coat, and holds a giant sword. Never mind the main character who doesn't even look like he could physically lift his own weapon. Here's a lesson in decent character design:

Now there are some things I'd call problems in the designs (mainly with some of the clothes, but that's been FF for the past 8 games or so), but there is a lot of good here. By looking at nearly any character, you can tell they come from a world inspired by different eras of western civilization (most likely a mix of Middle Ages and Renaissance), and that their game features a world of swords, castles, kings/queens, with possible surprises like magic or emerging technology. You can guess that there will be some kind of powerful evil figure and that these people come from different walks of life to defeat that figure. You can tell all of that just by looking at them.

Furthermore, you can look at large muscular characters like Steiner and Amarant and tell that they are probably physically strong fighters, or see Zidane's slim yet muscular physique as a roguish type of fighter. These people form a juxtaposition with other characters with less physically strong-looking builds. The audience having expectations built up about a fantasy video game world, as well as characters like Vivi evoking common images of wizards or witches would lead the average person to assume that these characters use magic or some other means of combat. The character designer understands that appearance is influenced by the character and world, and act as their own story-telling mechanism. Now let's take a look at an image I found when I typed "FF15 characters":

All of these characters look like they were converted from common manga/anime tropes into what would pass as "realistic" for high-fidelity 3d graphics. Everybody's got a slim outline, is roughly in their 20s, wears an outfit that would be considered high-fashion to a handful of people in one country in the modern era, and tells us nothing about them. Who here uses magic, weapons, etc.? How would we peg any of them as fighters, and how would they defeat the giant monsters we've seen in previews?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A modern Vagrant Story game would probably resemble a more stat heavy Dark Souls nowadays. The atmosphere of exploring Lea Monde felt like a From Software game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eej posted:

FF13 was really bad but Hope was pretty cool so I gotta say this: did you miss the part where Hope says he's gonna get revenge on the guy who got his mother killed and then Lightning is like cool, and gives him a knife to stab him with? That's literally the reason why he tags along.

Because his mother died in a way he saw that wasn't directly to do with Snow at all. He's a kid and I expect him to not get that but everyone else? Come on.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Taear posted:

Because his mother died in a way he saw that wasn't directly to do with Snow at all. He's a kid and I expect him to not get that but everyone else? Come on.

The only person who knows that Snow is connected with Hope's mom's death aside from Hope himself is Vanille and she keeps trying to get him to talk to him. Everyone else, including Snow, is in the dark about it. In any case, it's mostly resolved with Hope deciding that he should not in fact, shank a dude (who is having a mental breakdown about how worthless he is as a human being) and grows a bit into not a turd.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Speaking of Sazh, he was in the sequels to XIII but did next to nothing plot wise and was just shoved in the corner so people could say "Oh hey, that guy's here too".

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Plan Z posted:

Now let's take a look at an image I found when I typed "FF15 characters":

This isn't what these characters look like anymore, and they haven't looked like this for several years. Prompto (blondie in the back) in particular is completely different. Did you word it like that as a coincidence, or were you being intentionally misleading?

Also, Matsuno is working on another game. It's on Kickstarter. It's...it looks really bad. :(

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

If you are not playing JRPGs for the genuine anime experience, you are doing it wrong.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

thorsilver posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people on this forum actually like FF XII. The story is sleep-inducing and derivative, the main character is pointless, the combat was automated away rather than made actually fun; I hated virtually everything about that game and still consider it one of the biggest disappointments in gaming. To be fair it looks gorgeous though.

It's doubly annoying to me given that the best FF game, Tactics, was set in the same world and Ivalice deserved a better game.

IMO there's a better question than the OP: why the gently caress aren't we getting more FFT games?! The last thing the world needs is another open-world RPG with bad combat mechanics IMO, we're definitely lacking for good SRPGs on consoles though.

It has a huge, mostly open world that feels real. There's tons of sidequests and optional content, secret areas, etc. The plot is actually good, even though the main character is kind of lame, the combat is the same as any other Final Fantasy but with the ability to remove the busywork, which is good.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think the guy who said the problem with modern Final Fantasy is that the creative leads have extremely narrow interests (anime, fashion, videogames) and thus have a hard time saying anything authentic about actual human beings was on the money :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX-2 was truly the peak of the series and, well, all of video games in general.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

cloud isn't a big uncaring nobody, he's an awkward goofy hick who's trying way too hard to be cool but winds up saying poo poo like 'let's mosey'

edit: also jenner are you a dude

Honestly I held the opinion ff7 was terribly written for years but going back and playing through it again it's actually subtly good b/c of poo poo like this. He's literally pretending to be a special forces soldier for the first 2/3s of the game.

There's a lot of layers to the writing in FF7, there's a lot more characterization there than people gave it credit for, and a lot of foreshadowing. The big problem with FF7's plot is the heavy handed religious symbolism, which is the same problem with every loving Squaresoft game that came out in the first few years on the playstation. It's like after Evangelion finished everybody needed to find a way to put metaphors for christianity in everything. Sephiroth is dumb but I think a lot of what makes him dumb is how he came to represent the very concept of the edgelord, so, lol. Does he count as a cliche when he's the mold the cliche was cast from?

If you want to look at a game with actual terrible writing (that we all thought was totally awesome at the time) go play Xenogears and try not to cringe.

Xenosaga's even worse.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 21, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mirthless posted:

If you want to look at a game with actual terrible writing (that we all thought was totally awesome at the time) go play Xenogears and try not to cringe.

Xenosaga's even worse.

This might sound a little naive but despite playing a lot of JRPGs as a kid I was never into anime and never watched any. After the first couple hours of Xenosaga Ep. 1 I thought to myself, "aha, so THIS is anime."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

exquisite tea posted:

This might sound a little naive but despite playing a lot of JRPGs as a kid I was never into anime and never watched any. After the first couple hours of Xenosaga Ep. 1 I thought to myself, "aha, so THIS is anime."

Exactly. Xenosaga is anime, and it's not even good anime. It's bad anime written by people with very weird, very specific fetishes and a love of tortured religious symbolism.

Xenogears tries to be good anime, but it's really just Square's attempt to make Fantasy Neon Genesis Evangelion and while they arguably succeeded Neon Genesis Evangelion was not really good anime either (despite what we all thought at the time)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm learning a lot in this thread about how some games that I enjoyed playing were actually bad, poo poo, complete dungus

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm glad you're learning. your mother and I were starting to get worried about you

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Control Volume posted:

I'm learning a lot in this thread about how some games that I enjoyed playing were actually bad, poo poo, complete dungus

the comments about inmates being in control of the asylum at square are hysterical when you consider the situation in this thread

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I understand that Final Fantasy fans are by definition heavily reverential of the mid-late 90s era of JRPGs and will always say FF6 was their favorite, or FF7 or FFT, maybe 4 if they want to be a real contrarian hero. But search your heart, and you will realize that FFX-2 is the best of the series in every single aspect. I know most of you are too embarrassed to admit it, but I know it's true.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mirthless posted:

Xenogears tries to be good anime, but it's really just Square's attempt to make Fantasy Neon Genesis Evangelion and while they arguably succeeded Neon Genesis Evangelion was not really good anime either (despite what we all thought at the time)

I haven't seen eva but the director's godzilla movie was great so I bet it's good too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gas this thread, close Games and ban all Games posters

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motto posted:

I haven't seen eva but the director's godzilla movie was great so I bet it's good too

Mirthless is a known troll

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

frank.club posted:

Mirthless is a known troll

yep you got me, Xenogears is a totally good game you guys you should check it out

if you don't get it, it's just too deep for you

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Xenogears is win yeah, you sure you're alright?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I dunno that looks pretty good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I understand that Final Fantasy fans are by definition heavily reverential of the mid-late 90s era of JRPGs and will always say FF6 was their favorite, or FF7 or FFT, maybe 4 if they want to be a real contrarian hero. But search your heart, and you will realize that FFX-2 is the best of the series in every single aspect. I know most of you are too embarrassed to admit it, but I know it's true.

Lightning Returns is actually the best FF game. 14 is a close second. 15 looks like it'll be great though, especially if it has boys kissing boys.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lets hang out posted:

I dunno that looks pretty good

It's one of the best reviewed jrpgs ever and a classic

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This isn't what these characters look like anymore, and they haven't looked like this for several years. Prompto (blondie in the back) in particular is completely different. Did you word it like that as a coincidence, or were you being intentionally misleading?

Also, Matsuno is working on another game. It's on Kickstarter. It's...it looks really bad. :(

I didn't know that, but from what I see the design switch isn't really enough for me to abandon my point. They all just look like bad fashion models.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

I will agree with this in that it probably has the best battle and job system in the series.
But that story. And the annoying way it expects New Game +. Ugh.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

frank.club posted:

It's one of the best reviewed jrpgs ever and a classic

Was the bar really all that high in 1998?

The main villain of Xenogears is the manifestation of the main character's trauma that he experienced when he was four years old

Somehow this manifestation is also superhuman and can like throw buildings and poo poo, don't worry about it kid he's like "The Chosen One" or something, now let's go down the sephiroth to the tree of light and ahura mazda the revelations

The gameplay of Xenogears was really good but good god that story, lol

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 21, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mirthless posted:

The main villain of Xenogears is the manifestation of the main character's trauma that he experienced when he was four years old

It was actually the serially reincarnated OS of a haywire terraforming robot that came to be worshipped as God, plus Bishie Mengele.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
ATB is boring and bad in a way that had a very niche thing before turn based made interesting combat again

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
evangelion and atb are both good, actually

final fantasy 4 is one of those games that seems really rudimentary and simple to modern people playing it for like the tenth time but relative to nes/famicom jrpgs that poo poo was loving nuts, the way bosses changed forms in real-time and all the gimmicks going on with stuff like the fiends and baigan and asura

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mirthless posted:

Somehow this manifestation is also superhuman and can like throw buildings and poo poo, don't worry about it kid he's like "The Chosen One" or something, now let's go down the sephiroth to the tree of light and ahura mazda the revelations

The gameplay of Xenogears was really good but good god that story, lol

Totally dude the bar hit all time lows with mostly forgotten JRPG title from 1997 Final FantasyVII

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Oxxidation posted:

It was actually the serially reincarnated OS of a haywire terraforming robot that came to be worshipped as God, plus Bishie Mengele.

I didn't finish the novel that came with the game so I didn't get that far

frank.club posted:

Totally dude the bar hit all time lows with mostly forgotten JRPG title from 2006 Final FantasyVII

Wasn't making a commentary on the quality of RPGs of the time, I'm saying, "It was 1998". In 1998 reviewers would, for example, forgive a game developer for putting over 200,000 lines of dialogue and almost no gameplay on the second disc. There was not a wide array of things to compare it to and the genre hadn't been attempted on this scale prior to CD media. I don't think the same game would be as well received today.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you just don't like games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm willing to bet very few contemporary/pre-launch reviewers got to the 2nd disc of Xenogears before writing their review

• Locked thread