Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Jenner posted:

So what happened to Final Fantasy? Well, here's my diagnosis.

I feel the series really started to get its bearings with FF4 and reached its pinnacle with FF6, which is the best game in the series (fight me IRL.) And that the series loses its vision, goes off the rails, and completely jumps the shark with FF7. (There is a brief reprieve with FF9, the third best game in the series, before it goes right back to being either aggressively mediocre or downright lovely.)

FF6 is good, FF9 sucks, and the FF series reached its peak with FFX-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Really, we all need to look inside our hearts and accept that X-2 is the best. Not only does it have the best combat, but it hits the ground running. No 20 hour tutorial like other FF games. You have 6 different dresspheres within the first half hour of playing. That's better than what some FFs do for the entire game. And you're immediately given the choice of where to go and what to do. The NG+ system makes it the most replayable of all FF games. And having complete control of 3 characters really opens up potential for combat complexity. It's really the most fun game of all.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

the combat in ffx-2 fuckin soooooooooox

No, it owns.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I actually believed this until recently and then I played it again and the battle system is muuuuch worse than I remembered.

I just remembered the fun endgame combos and not the fact that 90% of the jobs had the same abilities, the chain system was sorta broken, and "you can go anywheeeere" combined with permanent missables just meaning that you're gonna have to revisit every single location in the world 5 times throughout the game to see everything

FF13's combat is really a distillation of what made FFX-2 combat work, and people hated it because of the automation but that speed of combat only works with automation.

I should play FF13-2, I already have it on Steam but every time I boot it up I very quickly decide to stop playing

Don't know where you're getting the whole "90% of jobs had the same abilities" from. There's a ton of different abilities, and that's a good thing. There's a lot of nuance you'll miss out on though if you don't experiment with everything. I like the whole revisiting angle too, seeing the effects of your past actions.

XIII is just X-2 with all the fun sucked out of it. It sacrifices nuance and complexity for the sake of speed and streamlining the experience. Not being able to micromanage battles just kills it for me.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This, except the story, characters, and hell just about everything in FFX-2 own also.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how X-2 improves on every character that was in X.

• Locked thread