Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX-2 was truly the peak of the series and, well, all of video games in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mirthless posted:

If you want to look at a game with actual terrible writing (that we all thought was totally awesome at the time) go play Xenogears and try not to cringe.

Xenosaga's even worse.

This might sound a little naive but despite playing a lot of JRPGs as a kid I was never into anime and never watched any. After the first couple hours of Xenosaga Ep. 1 I thought to myself, "aha, so THIS is anime."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I understand that Final Fantasy fans are by definition heavily reverential of the mid-late 90s era of JRPGs and will always say FF6 was their favorite, or FF7 or FFT, maybe 4 if they want to be a real contrarian hero. But search your heart, and you will realize that FFX-2 is the best of the series in every single aspect. I know most of you are too embarrassed to admit it, but I know it's true.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Plus, 13 has combat that's largely meaningless. In the first chunk of the game you have a limit to how much you can level up and you level up pretty much every three fights. The sphere grid knock-off is a joke, because it offers no branching paths or any actual choices and literally just makes it take longer to get your stat increases. loving Pokemon has a better level up system than FFXIII.

FFX-2, combat mechanics as a positive or no, has combat that actively fuels another element of gameplay, the job system, which rewards players with new skills, better stats, and all that jazz to the jobs they are using. Every job needs to be leveled up as well, so this means that even if you have to backtrack or explore an earlier zone, you can swap in a low-level job and still benefit from the experience while the battles are rendered piss easy by your other, stronger jobs.

Like, all that stuff is good. FFX-2 is the inverse 13 in that the gameplay is solid but the stuff that surrounds, bridges and propells that gameplay is loving awful.

This, except the story, characters, and hell just about everything in FFX-2 own also.

• Locked thread