Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Was the bar really all that high in 1998?

The main villain of Xenogears is the manifestation of the main character's trauma that he experienced when he was four years old

It was actually the serially reincarnated OS of a haywire terraforming robot that came to be worshipped as God, plus Bishie Mengele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

I'm willing to bet very few contemporary/pre-launch reviewers got to the 2nd disc of Xenogears before writing their review

I remember Gamepro savaged it and got a lot of blowback even all the way back then.

Half my early literary education came from those awful magazines. Memories~

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jokes and backbiting aside, Xenogears won a lot of accolades at release because that was Squaresoft's time to shine and most JRPG's that went on for more than one disc were greeted by wild applause anyway. Even disregarding that, it's still an interesting and ambitious mishmash of basically every high-profile anime/mecha trope of the nineties, and that plus the way it pushed Evangelion's incoherent Gnostic iconography to the hilt gave it a unique aesthetic that still stands out today.

I still think it fell flat because it never really gelled any of those different examples of homage together. People are still divided on Eva's quality, but good or bad it's still pretty simplistic at heart - the robots and Christian symbols are just window dressing for a great big soap opera about depression and the pain of connecting with others. Xenogears has a little bit of that, but it also has fantasy animal-people racism, and pseudo-Buddhist ideas of reincarnation, and guns that shoot piloted robots as bullets, and whatever the hell ChuChu was, and fantasy Nazis, and critiques of the Church, etc, etc, etc, culminating in a boss fight against the actual Demiurge after which you chat with the actual God. It makes the story compellingly weird while it holds together, but it doesn't hold together for long, and I don't blame a lot of people who find it tedious (me included). It's 70+ hours of pointing at a plot element, going "this thing came from something else!" and then moving on without doing anything with it.

• Locked thread