Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I thought some of the post apocalypse stuff in 6 was sad and cool. That whole game has something really interesting going on visually, it's steeped in nostalgia and theatricality. A couple games after that the whole thing just got too convoluted and goofy-looking to retain my interest i guess. But those little japanese toybox super artificial worlds of the earlier games still speak to me for some reason even if im not interested in playing them again. I think the appeal of this type of game is less how it plays and more about having a huuuuuuge amount of handcrafted content to hoover up as you explore the world really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
All the 2D fantasies are pretty theatrical, now that i think about it, 6 is just the only one that hangs a lampshade on it. The tile sets with their illusion of 3d space work like stage flats, and the characters always take up the same small fraction of the screen so the designers tend to fill out scenes with a lot of minor characters, backdrops, superfluous architecture, etc. To me they have some of the same appeal of a Jodorowsky movie, exploring these hyper stylized and dense fantasy zones from a certain remove while listening to melodramatic tunes.

• Locked thread