Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Figured I'd weigh in on this. I played FF games when I was younger and enjoyed them, though I never had the adoration for them that other people do. FFXV has completely failed to capture my interest, because despite seeing multiple trailer and previews for it I still have no idea what the game is supposed to be about. As far as I can tell, the story is about some young adults cruising around in a car fighting giant monsters. Why are they doing this? I dunno. Why should I care about them doing this? Dunno. So why should I play the game?

Maybe I missed the trailer that actually explains everything but I haven't seen any hook to make me want to play it.

Shageletic posted:

So what's good JPRG-wise then?

I'm old as gently caress and only have a PS3.

Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one, not X) is the last JRPG I genuinely enjoyed for more than just the gameplay, if only because the world was very unique.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

precision posted:

Is Xenoblade X really that bad? Or just "not as good"?

I'd say its bad. At least from a story standpoint, the whole thing is way worse. Right out of the gate the setting is way less unique and the setup for the story is told horribly. You have like 20 characters you can use but only two of them actually say stuff in most missions. Everyone else feels like an afterthought, barely ever saying anything. There's also a lot of pointless dicking around that is mandatory which really kills the flow of the story. The game tries to set up a sense of urgency right from the start but you're forced to do so much bullshit that it doesn't work at all. I stopped playing the game halfway through just because I found it so hard to care about anything that was going on.

Gameplay wise I didn't care much for it either but some people really like it. Regardless, I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles a hell of a lot more. Its not a nostalgia thing for me either; I actually played X before the first one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wouldn't of bought FF15 when I was 13. Kids these days! :corsair:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The music in Xenoblade X is very much love it or leave it. Though I think even the people that love it can agree having music with lyrics play over a cutscene is stupid when its drowning out the people talking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Writing going to hell in the last quarter of the game seems to be a common occurence in JRPGs.

• Locked thread