Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

FF7's story quality is definitely dubious, but it's anything but an afterthought.

Yeah this. Although I wonder how much of the story got hosed up by the apparently bad translating job that was done? It's been a long time since I read up on any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Endorph posted:

cloud isn't a big uncaring nobody, he's an awkward goofy hick who's trying way too hard to be cool but winds up saying poo poo like 'let's mosey'

This is something that stuck out the most for me when I went back and beat it for the first time in years last year. Cloud is a pretty upbeat, weird, goofy dude who uses disguises like dresses, makeup, different uniforms, etc. to bamboozle people and gets made fun of by everyone throughout the game.. It's weird that the sequel stuff made him this creepy, brooding dude, given he's actually pretty endearing throughout most of 7 IMO.

Also, drat I had forgotten how great the opening music is for 5 and 6. 5 in particular, while not my favorite, has such a great opening with the Chocobo\Bartz running as the credits scroll. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ej58BlDwM

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

I think FFX is much more of what happened to the series than FF7 is. It's really the entry that defines the genre's aesthetic going forward and also solidified the tone that had been fairly inconsistent in the preceding titles.

Yeah, this is a good point. tbh, I was never too big on the anime realdoll look of some of the recent entries.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

Shenmue.

Getting in the first real brawl in the parking lot is something I wish I could go back and experience for the first time again. Just beating the poo poo out of a dozen people at a time with a robust, Virtua Fighter-esque system where you're doing reversals and throws and tossing people around was awesome.

• Locked thread