Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Endorph posted:

cloud isn't a big uncaring nobody, he's an awkward goofy hick who's trying way too hard to be cool but winds up saying poo poo like 'let's mosey'

edit: also jenner are you a dude

Honestly I held the opinion ff7 was terribly written for years but going back and playing through it again it's actually subtly good b/c of poo poo like this. He's literally pretending to be a special forces soldier for the first 2/3s of the game.

There's a lot of layers to the writing in FF7, there's a lot more characterization there than people gave it credit for, and a lot of foreshadowing. The big problem with FF7's plot is the heavy handed religious symbolism, which is the same problem with every loving Squaresoft game that came out in the first few years on the playstation. It's like after Evangelion finished everybody needed to find a way to put metaphors for christianity in everything. Sephiroth is dumb but I think a lot of what makes him dumb is how he came to represent the very concept of the edgelord, so, lol. Does he count as a cliche when he's the mold the cliche was cast from?

If you want to look at a game with actual terrible writing (that we all thought was totally awesome at the time) go play Xenogears and try not to cringe.

Xenosaga's even worse.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

exquisite tea posted:

This might sound a little naive but despite playing a lot of JRPGs as a kid I was never into anime and never watched any. After the first couple hours of Xenosaga Ep. 1 I thought to myself, "aha, so THIS is anime."

Exactly. Xenosaga is anime, and it's not even good anime. It's bad anime written by people with very weird, very specific fetishes and a love of tortured religious symbolism.

Xenogears tries to be good anime, but it's really just Square's attempt to make Fantasy Neon Genesis Evangelion and while they arguably succeeded Neon Genesis Evangelion was not really good anime either (despite what we all thought at the time)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

frank.club posted:

Mirthless is a known troll

yep you got me, Xenogears is a totally good game you guys you should check it out

if you don't get it, it's just too deep for you

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

frank.club posted:

It's one of the best reviewed jrpgs ever and a classic

Was the bar really all that high in 1998?

The main villain of Xenogears is the manifestation of the main character's trauma that he experienced when he was four years old

Somehow this manifestation is also superhuman and can like throw buildings and poo poo, don't worry about it kid he's like "The Chosen One" or something, now let's go down the sephiroth to the tree of light and ahura mazda the revelations

The gameplay of Xenogears was really good but good god that story, lol

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 21, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Oxxidation posted:

It was actually the serially reincarnated OS of a haywire terraforming robot that came to be worshipped as God, plus Bishie Mengele.

I didn't finish the novel that came with the game so I didn't get that far

frank.club posted:

Totally dude the bar hit all time lows with mostly forgotten JRPG title from 2006 Final FantasyVII

Wasn't making a commentary on the quality of RPGs of the time, I'm saying, "It was 1998". In 1998 reviewers would, for example, forgive a game developer for putting over 200,000 lines of dialogue and almost no gameplay on the second disc. There was not a wide array of things to compare it to and the genre hadn't been attempted on this scale prior to CD media. I don't think the same game would be as well received today.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

frank.club posted:

I think you just don't like games

I like games! I like plenty of games! I just don't think Xenogears was well written. Now if you'll excuse me, my cousin-wife and I are about to get our pirate submarine thrown across the desert by our friend's split personality because he got really sad today.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

frank.club posted:

Check his post count... and disengage with the troll

it's really not that controversial of an opinion

also I have ~6,000 fewer posts than you and we started posting the same year I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, other than "I spend 30% more of my time on SomethingAwful than Forums Poster Mirthless"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 21, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of the biggest problems with FF12 is that too many people seem to think Vaan is the main character. :v:

He's a (moronic) everyman stapled to the actual protagonist, Balthier Ashe.

I got the impression throughout FFXII that Ashe was supposed to be the main protagonist and somebody at Squenix objected at the last minute and insisted on putting Vaan in to keep boys invested or some poo poo

He really is just terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I personally found FFXIII unplayable. I heard it gets good eventually but I made it about 5 hours in and threw in the towel, the amount of time spent in cinematics was ridiculous and I didn't like the linear dungeons at all.

• Locked thread