Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it'd be cool if square authorized some final fantasy gaiden games in the old 16 bit style the way capcom did with mega man 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i was about to say how wrong you are and then i realized i was thinking of trails in the sky and i've never played bravely default

jrpgs run together for me these days

also i will say ff6 is the best imo just because the ensemble cast worked extremely well. i think you can argue that more than just terra and celes are the leads in that game, the brothers figaro also have front row and are really the big winners in the overall narrative, being the leaders of technology in what becomes a distinctly non-magical world. locke's story also takes up almost as much screen time as terra's, despite the fact that locke is mostly just a bitch.

as much as i disliked locke though, it didn't matter, because i found my mental homie in edgar. the real beauty of the ensemble cast was that you were way, way more likely to find yourself in that game, whereas if you play ff7 and you don't like cloud you're basically boned for 85% of the game (which I'm convinced is the largest argument between people who don't like insert FF game here and those that do)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 16, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Final Fantasy 7 will be the 9th mainline Final Fantasy to be remastered. There have been remasters of 1 - 6, with particularly huge graphical overhauls for 3 and 4. People weren't particularly excited about the remasters for 5 and 6, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, X and X-2 have gotten remasters before 7.

My guess, is that the problem is that 7 is a hot rear end mess which explains why they are having to slice it and dice it and essentially re-imagine it so that it makes sense and is fun for a modern audience.

there were LOTS of problems with 6's remasters

the GBA one came in the final days of the GBA, when nobody cared about the unit anymore because the DS was just around the corner. surprisingly, no, not a lot of people bought new release PS2 games after the PS3 came out either. the GBA was also not actively capable of handling the game and frame rates would crash to <15 regularly. on a goddamn handheld.

the iOS remaster was a serious slapdash effort and it shows. there's no fewer than 3 art styles on display between the original art style in the backgrounds, the PC sprite work (which removes things like elbows and spines and replaces them with straight iron bars), and the enemy sprite work (which was clearly done in a vacuum away from everything else because art styles between enemies don't even agree). they also struggled to shoehorn some mechanics like sabin's blitzes in and it was just awful. the iOS version got released on steam and within a day there were people replacing sprites and portraits because they looked awful, and within a week people were talking about the game's technical structure and suggesting more elaborate mods.

the reality is that SE has a very clear idea of which games they care about and it's directly proportional to how much money they made them. 6 was how many generations ago now, and despite the fact that it always comes up in discussions like this, the industry was different (and a huge amount smaller) back then so the numbers just don't look as good when compared to 10, which had a much larger market to play in. i would not be surprised if 7's relative slowness getting a remake was this exact consideration - it would be very hard to do because the technology is old, and 7, as popular as it is, simply didn't make them as much money as something with tidus, yuna, or lightning on the cover.

still though, the real solution is for people to stop simply talking and start seriously developing themselves so they have something to offer this space, because it's very clear that square isn't going to do it. in situations like this i like to link the advice of the greatest film director of the 20th century:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-McmgQbee0

for those of you who don't know, Akira Kurosawa's work directly inspired fistful of dollars (and sequels), magnificent seven, the entire first half of Star Wars A New Hope, and lots more. if there's anyone who knows anything about making a great piece of art it's kurosawa. and i think his advice here is just as relevant to big fans of video games as it is to big fans of movies. if you feel passionately enough about this poo poo to write in a topic this nerdy, you should write, period. i'm not saying stop posting, never not post, but take a little bit of time each day to just write a script. it's even easier today than it is when kurosawa was asked this question, honestly - we're all on the internet and can get a free google account with google drive and a web word processor which is then available from anywhere. we needn't spend a dime and can have our work at our fingertips 24/7/365.

even if your work blows, you'll refine your taste and be able to talk intelligibly about the process of work to the people you meet, and then it's just one chance encounter away from forming a nascent team to make something great - or at least something that brings joy to others.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's definitely got a very slow burn up until the point when the battle of alexandria happens but it's pretty ballin' from then on

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

barret was pretty despondant after sector 7 got owned because he lost his team, but that was it (and he largely perked up afterward when he realized he had to get his poo poo together for his daughter). aeris probably felt for it but she wasn't around for us to see that i don't think, wasn't it her who was yelling 'don't worry she's ok'?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

9 is slow and boring. It would improved to a middling game if the combat wasn't slow as gently caress.

this was largely my complaint as well. the early mini-games and dialog have their own life to them because the tantalus boys are hustlers and players in their own respect, and everything is pretty punchy and well done. the game definitely knows how to get going fast because the game's plot starts quick and stays quick until after the evil forest

but the pacing ends up getting really wrecked by the combat taking forever to resolve. it's hard to keep the urgent feeling summoned up by the hard driving soundtrack when there's like 8 seconds of intro to each fight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also actions delaying other actions(or maybe it was just spells?) so everything is queued up and backlogging stuff. This makes things like Regen super powerful because it keeps ticking while all these abilities are slowly animating or queued up to go.

spells were really the biggest offender. the 'i'm casting' animations in 9 are as long as the entire spell animations in many earlier titles, and it really doesn't help that over half of the enemies had spells or spell-like abilities that were focal to their threat, so they were doing it even more than you were. at least with your squad you could clap a good weapon on zidane and steiner, link up auto haste, and just press x through a lot of fights. but the loving goblin mages are never going to stop wasting 7 seconds of your time per goblin per round to show you goblin punch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I know the pacing of the story gets weird, but no FF has decent story pacing. I don't think you guys really remember what ff7's combat was like, though, because it was pretty much the same poo poo. Combat didn't really get faster until X, and then they played around a lot with making everything faster in more ways that "faster animations" like ffx's swap function and especially ffxiii's stance swapping and AI control of other party members.

7 wasn't great in that respect and honestly the biggest design bit that i miss from the 16-bit days is harsh limitations on animations, you're right. you're also not wrong that some stuff in 7 was seriously overwrought (knights of the round got loving OLD after the first or second time you used it), but you can go back and time it - just the 'i'm casting' animations in 9 are over twice as long, many click the camera around an extra time or two when compared to 7, and there are many, many more enemies slinging spells and using casting animations.

7 is definitely guilty of this but 9 is like, double ultra super guilty.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fivegears4reverse posted:

I know that this is peak goon school of internet debates here, but come on.
the entire focal point of the entire clusterfuck is how much individual characters relate to individual players. it's okay for people to take different things away from their experiences and trying to normalize all that to call specific things good and specific things bad is a fool's errand. the best thing you can do is just say hey this game/setting caused more and better reactions than this game/setting, but even that is a slippery slope because the culture keeps changing around these games/settings too. yeah 7 caused a huge stir but the available market for 7 simply doesn't compare to the available market for 6, in scope or demographic. so yeah you're gonna have stupid loving nerd fights because most of the nerds here aren't even talking about the same thing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

For what it's worth my understanding was that the pre-Falcon portion of the world of ruin in FF6 was supposed to last a lot longer than it did, and it was cut for size and complexity reasons. The biggest hint we have of that is after the Falcon takes off and the hopeful Looking for Friends song kicks in, Edgar's immediate comment is "I'm starting to think we might actually pull this off" when he just joined up a second ago basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Control Volume posted:

I'm learning a lot in this thread about how some games that I enjoyed playing were actually bad, poo poo, complete dungus

the comments about inmates being in control of the asylum at square are hysterical when you consider the situation in this thread

• Locked thread