Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fivegears4reverse posted:

Traditional FF combat is dull as gently caress compared to modern videogames in general/Final Fantasy 12/Tactics so I am okay with never, ever, ever getting a Final Fantasy that plays like FF1-10 again.

The QOL improvements to battles in Bravely Default make things tolerable, even enjoyable when experimenting with job combinations, it's a shame that everything else about the BD games is a slog.

lunatikfringe posted:

FF6 was exceptional in that it had many characters and you could play as any of them being the main character. The game invested you into each one of their storylines in the present, while feeding you critical background details about each one via exploration of their past.

Along with an immersive twisting storyline, minigames to break the tedium, and a dramatic soundtrack, it was the perfect storm for a really epic saga.

In my opinion, few FF games since have been able to match this despite drastically improving the visuals.

FF6 was exception in that it is the only FF game where you can suplex a motherfucking train.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

g0lbez posted:

what the gently caress do people see in 9 that game put me to sleep by disc 2

Seriously, I even liked 9 and I still think it was dull as dishwater. Definitely a product of that era of "more hours = better than" along with Dragon Quest 7.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

g0lbez posted:

*BATTLE SWIRL*
Rockin guitar kicks in while you stare at a black screen for ten seconds!
A blank field appears!
Epic camera swooping across the battlefield!!

Compare that to like FF7 where you get a battle swirl and you're inputting commands no more than five seconds later

Let's not be ridiculous now. The best thing that can be said for ff7 battles is that they're maybe not quite as slow and boring as ff9 battles.

Eej posted:

Bravely Default isn't a good game though so it's kind of a stretch to call it awesome

They're not, but "better than most of the Final Fantasys" is not a terribly high bar to clear, honestly.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 17, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

wizard on a water slide posted:

Several of the FF games - 6, 7, and 10 among them - are good at being "about things" in an impressionistic, broad sort of way and at conveying a theme without necessarily having a good, nuanced, original, or even comprehensible plot.

The worst Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy 2.

This is an absolute truth, it combines poo poo mechanics with a garbage storyline to form a game that nobody should experience.

In general though it's weird to see people complain about the battle mechanics in a particular Final Fantasy game. Aside from ATB (which you can turn off, can't you?) they're all basically the same that way, except for FF2 as mentioned which is shitawful because of the weird leveling system where you have to use items/weapons to become more effective with them, and get beat up to increase max HP.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 17, 2016

• Locked thread