Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
The answer to the question of "what happened to Final Fantasy such that there's such a divide between FF6 and FF7?" is extremely simple: Tetsuya Nomura and Kazushige Nojima. Once these guys got to have say over the story and characters, that was when Final Fantasy changed forever. That's their fingerprints you're seeing from Final Fantasy 7 through 15 which you weren't seeing prior to that because they either didn't work on those games or were just doing artwork. They're also the ones behind Kingdom Hearts. Final Fantasy 7, Advent Children, and Kingdom Hearts are among the single most successful Japanese works in the world, such that everyone just thinks "that's how Japan does things!" But really, it's just these two guys (and well, a legion of people who grew up on their stuff and/or want to copy their success).

I'm going to be very interested to see who precisely buys Final Fantasy 15. It's a game engineered from the ground up to appeal to the sort of fans who create derivative works from established material in which the male characters are romantically/sexually involved with one another. That's a gigantic pastime that has only gotten bigger with the advent of the Internet, but FF 15 just might be taking those hooks so far that it alienates drat near everybody who isn't into that stuff. The Conan O'Brien video is a key example of this. All of those things he found so utterly exasperating are red meat to that audience. Therein lies the gamble: how many of those fans are out there? Final Fantasy 15 has been in development for over a decade now, and the last estimates I heard said that it needs to sell 10 million copies just to break even. That's a lot, seeing as the combined shipped copies of Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns combined was "over 11 million." (No idea how many of those were left unsold.)

Honestly, it's a good thing Final Fantasy XIV is doing so well for them now, because I feel like it's going to be a very difficult thing for 15 to sell that well. But no matter what happens, Nomura and Nojima will remain in charge since Kingdom Hearts is a license to print money and they can always just remake Final Fantasy VII, since the kids who grew up on that are now grown up with kids of their own (that they named Sephiroth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The gameplay in FF15 looks fun.

"Looks" fun? Can't you just go download the demo and play it yourself, then report back what you liked or didn't like about it?

• Locked thread