Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Alris posted:

I enjoy asking people who liked FFX but hated FFXIII how a game all about running down a single corridor for 40 hours with painfully unlikeable characters and shitawful side content is good while another game dedicated to running down a single corridor for 40 hours with painfully unlikeable characters and barely any side content is bad just to see their flustered justification. XIII is everything bad about X concentrated to its purest form. Both games suck, and X's only saving grace is it gave us X-2 which revelled in its stupidity and let you beat the poo poo out of a Tidus lookalike (and didn't have the OG model until the very end anyway).

Both games are still better than anything with the words "Kingdom Hearts" in the title.

Your trying waaay too hard to equivacate the two games. A lot of people liked the protagonists in X whereas you'll find very few backers of most characters in XIII for example. The final scene in X with Tidus and Yuna still top people's most emotional video game moment list.

Which is to say that execution is everything. X had a well executed plot and characters with competent but simple combat. XIII had combat system so convoluted it took 10 hours to explain and charcters that didn't form a whole party in that time and that a lot of people couldn't relate to.

Just take the beginning of X. Crazy weird unexplained poo poo happens, Tidus is dropped into a new world. But he starts learning about it at the same time as the player and a real goal with with people and comadrie appears very quickly.

XIII on the other hand drops you into a world of jargon, has the characters hating each other or with active secret agendas, and the loving goal wildly oscillates throughout the story with backstabs and reveals. And it ends on a bizarre note instead of an emotionally fulfilling one, which say what you will about X, it knocked the ending out of the park.

Hell, in XIII -2 they managed to retcon a twist to make the ending even more bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

aegof posted:

Except maybe the jargon, (which never actually bothered me, somehow,) this stuff was my favorite part of FF13, and I was pretty excited to see how it all ended up.
Yeah, I was disappointed, but I appreciated the tension while it lasted.

Oh don't get me wrong. You can definitely have tensions and secret agendas and betrayals but they to go somewhere.

Suikoden II and FFT are these things done right. Especially Tactics. You just can't have your cake and eat it too like XIII. Where these tensions exist and it still ends in a friendship is magic theme

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

chumbler posted:

The plot of Lightning Returns is that the gods are morons and/or dicks and the world is ending and nothing can stop it so help tie up their loose ends and get on the reincarnation boat.

That's the premise. The actual plot is "Don't try to cheat Lighting or she will loving end you."

Which she repeatedly tells God from the very beginning, and yet Benevilza still tries to pull a fast one on her.

Lightning Returns is the best Lightning.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

After sleeping on it, the core themes and message behind the XIII trilogy seem to be "Lightning is awesome, praise Lightning, the waifu of Motomu Toriyama!" and "Moms are tough!".

The Lightning/Versace ad campaign was basically this.

"If Lightning was in our reality she would totally be into designer handbags" felt just like Toriyama keeping Lightning alive for one more moment.

And yes delita is the best FF side character. "Blame yourself or blame God" set the tone for the entirety of FFT

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 25, 2016

• Locked thread