Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
FF7 was good and the materia system was one of the best gameplay aspects of the series to date. Also my favorite final fantasy is 12 so bring it bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

frank.club posted:

12 is pretty good

They realized with 12 that fighting hordes of trash mobs sucked but with a jrpg there was no way around it, so what's the best alternative? Just program your dudes to do that poo poo for you! it's genius

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Neron posted:

I'm the one guy who actually liked 8.

I'm the other guy

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
what the gently caress do people see in 9 that game put me to sleep by disc 2

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's the best one?

I can start by addressing some dumb poo poo up there that was said:

The entire narrative of FF9 is a series of characters asking the same question in different ways: What is a weapon? Zidane, admittedly not asking this question until much later than most others in the game, wants to know whether he can choose to be a weapon for good or for evil, or if just being a weapon means he will cause destruction and death no matter what he does. Steiner wants to understand what it really means to defend someone else with your life, and how duty and honor are bound up in the whole mess. Vivi is a literal mass produced weapon and wants to know whether he can ever have a normal, peaceful life. Garnet wants to know what it means to wield these super powerful summons as weapons, and how she can reconcile that destruction with being a leader. Amarant follows Zidane around because he's spent his whole life honing himself into a weapon, and he wants to understand why Zidane is better than him at fighting, and to find out what he's missing as a weapon. Freya is trying to come to terms with losing the entire reason she even became a warrior in her storyline, and Eiko is coming to grips with having suffered massively from the large scale weapons that she both is and can use and learning that sometimes, even though it can be a terrible power, fighting is necessary.

The only character that doesn't really ask this question in your party is Quina, but Quina is a fat Qu wandering around and dividing the world into things that they can eat vs things they can't, and in the process is becoming a better weapon, and the end of their story has them realizing that there's more to the world than just food, which is kind of interesting given than Quina fights by eating things, so food is a quasi weapon to them.

Thanks now I remember why I always get to the iifa tree boss and give up out of boredom and despair

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

It has the same combat as every sub 10 FF, though? It's all ATB all the way down.

*BATTLE SWIRL*
Rockin guitar kicks in while you stare at a black screen for ten seconds!
A blank field appears!
Epic camera swooping across the battlefield!!

Compare that to like FF7 where you get a battle swirl and you're inputting commands no more than five seconds later

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

I know the pacing of the story gets weird, but no FF has decent story pacing. I don't think you guys really remember what ff7's combat was like, though, because it was pretty much the same poo poo. Combat didn't really get faster until X, and then they played around a lot with making everything faster in more ways that "faster animations" like ffx's swap function and especially ffxiii's stance swapping and AI control of other party members.

You really need to watch some comparison videos of 7 and 9 then because I think you're forgetting what an enormous slog trash mobs are in 9. The biggest offender that 7 had in that regard were enemies that would occasionally stop the entire battle so you can watch their weird polygon models flail wildly for no reason but it was pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

zenintrude posted:

I was working on a giant effort post [and maybe I'll still post it eventually] but the gist of it was that the PSX Final Fantasies are the best because of pre-rendered backgrounds. Unlike FFs that employ tiles or real-time 3D, each area in a PSX Final Fantasy feels unique, full of detail and visual storytelling opportunities.

Yeah I get that. As much as I love FF12 it really is just a big journey through various samey looking deserts and temples

• Locked thread