Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
What happened to Final Fantasy?

They stopped making games targeting my demographic after the market changed, but rather than accept that simple fact or justify my statement I'm going to say they're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Phantasium posted:

The Spirits Within

All joking aside, this is probably the best answer to the thread title's question.

Edit: vv I still think it's funny that FFXIV was saved when they took it away from one of the few people left in the company that had been with the franchise from Day 1.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 15, 2016

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

precision posted:

Hope is the best character in FF13 that isn't named Sazh. His arc is fantastic, he starts off as The Whiniest Little poo poo Ever but is one of the only JRPG Whiny Little Shits to actually change and grow throughout the game. By the end of it, I really liked him.

FFXIV has a similar arc, but rather than a whiny little poo poo you had a self important teenager who was convinced he understood all the worlds problems and how to fix it all if only people would listen to him! You get a front row seat to when it all blows up in his face, and a major subtext of the following quest lines is him reflecting on the mess he caused and growing up from it.

Another subtext in those quests is practically everybody making fun of him for being an awkward teenager. It's great.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

A lot of it is just a matter of when you jumped into the series. I got my start with "helping" my older brother play Final Fantasy for the NES back when I was five, and then for realsies myself with Final Fantasy 2/4j.

So obviously my favourite Final Fantasies are 9 and 5

• Locked thread