Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Several of the FF games - 6, 7, and 10 among them - are good at being "about things" in an impressionistic, broad sort of way and at conveying a theme without necessarily having a good, nuanced, original, or even comprehensible plot.

The worst Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Nanomashoes posted:

I heard 13-2 and 13-3 were OK but man, 13 was such a massive pile of poo poo that it turned me off the series forever after Matsuno's dismissal.

13-2 has some issues with things like difficulty curve, but it's way more of an RPG than 13 was in terms of like... stuff to find, systems to experiment with, and options. The core gameplay is nearly identical. If your biggest problem with 13 was that it felt like a series of hallways intermittently broken up by cutscenes, it may be worth playing.

Lightning Returns is pretty much its own animal entirely, and is the best game of the three. You should try it.

The story stuff in both is absolutely wackadoo batshit insanity that makes 13 look restrained and well-considered by comparison.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Aside from the completely different (arguably totally opposite) battle system, X really is a prototype of XIII. I didn't notice or remember that until I replayed X on the HD remake, and I saw exactly what you were talking about.

Also it has the worst combination of unskippable cutscenes and bad cutscene checkpoints in the franchise. Don't die to Yunalesca.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

This is an absolute truth, it combines poo poo mechanics with a garbage storyline to form a game that nobody should experience.

In general though it's weird to see people complain about the battle mechanics in a particular Final Fantasy game. Aside from ATB (which you can turn off, can't you?) they're all basically the same that way, except for FF2 as mentioned which is shitawful because of the weird leveling system where you have to use items/weapons to become more effective with them, and get beat up to increase max HP.

Sometimes people defend it, and try to argue that 1 or 3 or 13 is worse, and those people are wrong.

The Famicom version of 2 is effectively unplayable, and the remakes made it more approachable and the grind less punishing but left a lot of completely insane and backwards game mechanics (like how armor is pretty much always worthless because it tanks your evasion, which prevents your evasion from going up, which will make you paper-thin even in heavy armor at the end of the game).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Vagrant Story would be a dope game to get a sequel or even just an HD remake that cleaned up a bunch of janky poo poo, but I realize that isn't going to happen so hell

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
evangelion and atb are both good, actually

final fantasy 4 is one of those games that seems really rudimentary and simple to modern people playing it for like the tenth time but relative to nes/famicom jrpgs that poo poo was loving nuts, the way bosses changed forms in real-time and all the gimmicks going on with stuff like the fiends and baigan and asura

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm willing to bet very few contemporary/pre-launch reviewers got to the 2nd disc of Xenogears before writing their review

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Pulse thing in FF13 is weird because when I got there I was like "holy poo poo, this is the part goons were talking about when they said it gets good" and I thought it was going to be like Final Fantasy 6 or 7 where I still had like half a game to go somehow and the second half was going to have towns and optional areas to explore and poo poo like that.

The game would've been way better if it was structured that way. It would've actually been a good twist to get down to Pulse where everything is supposed to be dangerous and terrible and it turns out there's thriving villages everywhere and people are mostly happy.

The more I type about it the more I think somebody at some point probably intended that to happen before the game kept getting rebuilt and poo poo

• Locked thread