Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This was posted in the Questions Thread but I feel as though it may be enough to be it's own thread.

Pick a year and then pick what you think is the MUST SEE show of that year. In the original thread I kept this as WWE only, but I think expanding this to ALL Pro Wrestling companies would actually make this even more interesting.

Explain your choice, why should a person who will see no other wrestling show that year pick that one show to watch.

1999: Royal Rumble

This was a tough one. There are a few really good shows, not a shock since we're in the middle of the Attitude Era here. The Rumble though is my pick because you have the incredibly Rock V Mankind match that really HAS to be seen. It's an incredible match, plus it's the one we see during Beyond the Mat as well.

The Rumble itself is one of the more insane ones as well. The other matches on the undercard are...ehhh, but it's the Rock and Mankind match that makes this a must see, along with a really insane Rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm really curious how many times a WCW show will headline a year. I can't imagine TNA is gonna get mentioned here at all.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Backlash 2000 remains one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's a great show even without the incredible main event/finish.

Backlash felt way more like a Wrestlemania than the actual Mania did.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
1997 has to be either Survivor Series or Starrcade.

SS has the Screwjob which, purely from a historical perspective, has to be seen, so if you only watch one show from the year it should be that. On the other hand Starrcade 97 was WCW's biggest show ever and had a main even with a YEAR long build. Plus if you wanna see how WCW basically destroyed themselves then the main event's finish is a must see as well. Plus there's a couple really good undercard matches.

Survivor Series is probably my choice, but Starrcade is a VERY close second.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I feel like there's an argument to be made that Invasion is a must see. It's not a good show, but that was THE BIGGEST story up to that point and it was a dream for so long as well. Though X7 is infinitly better and is way more deserving of the spot.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

Re: WCW, Bash '96 still holds up as a fantastic card with tremendously good booking.

Hogan turning heel and forming the NWO pretty much cements it as the 1996 pick.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
How long does the Ruthless Aggression era last? I'm curious how PPVs from that era stack up each year.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

super macho dude posted:

smh no one mentioned 1999 Heroes Of Wrestling

Every time I see clips of that it always blows my mind it's from 1999, production values make it seem like a mid 80's show.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I seem to remember Armageddon '02 being really good, but I don't remember what else was good that year.

Summerslam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder if we were to expand this to include UFC, how many times they would take the top spot. MMA is a different beast from Pro Wrestling of course, but purely from the perspective of a full look, I wonder if they would have a must see.

• Locked thread