Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Here are some of my picks.

2005 - NOAH Destiny
This event has everything: KENTA wins his first GHC Jnr Heavyweight Title, Baby Tanahashi is in the Heavyweight Title match, working heel like he always does in NOAH, MiSu and Naomichi Marufuji are the Tag Team champions.
The last two matches are amazing. One is Kenta Kobashi coming off his two year title run facing the debuting Kensuke Sasaki in the match of at least 100 chops. The second is two of the best wrestlers ever, Misawa and Kawada, facing for the first time in NOAH. They're both past their prime at this point, so it's nowhere near as good as their stuff from the 90s, but it's still better than nearly anything you'll see and seamlessly incorporates the near 20 year history between the two.

2010 - Money in the Bank
This is the PPV that got me back into wrestling. Kane wins the Money in the Bank, cashing in less than an hour later to destroy Rey Mysterio. The Miz, who i only remembered from coming second in Tough Enough, wins his MitB match and cuts a great promo afterwards. The only real downside is the ending of the main event, but it wasn't enough to erase the goodwill the event built up.

2011 - ROH Best in the World
This event has a whole lot of upsides. You get to see Tommaso Ciampa before he was good, Rhyno vs Homicide in a street fight, El Generico and Christopher Daniels being great as usual, and a live performance of the Kings of Wrestling's awesome theme song. The Richards vs Edwards main event is also great, playing off the Flair retirement moment. "You'll always be my brother" followed by the sickest PK I've seen this side of Katsuyori Shibata. It shows how good the Wolves can be when they're not in TNA.

Honorable mention to TNA Destination X, which had great matches up and down the card, a Styles vs Daniels main event, Samoa Joe wrecking Kazarian, RVD and Jerry Lynn still able to go after 15 years, and Bryan Kendrick winning back the X Division title from Abyss. Of course, being TNA, they couldn't sustain this level of quality.

2012 - PWG Threemendous III
A ton of indy-riffic action. Roddy murders TJP, Kevin Steen fights Willie Mack, Bryan Cage copies Booker T's Botchmania opening. The main event is basically TLC II ten years later. A springboard gets countered by a superkick off a ladder, Adam Cole gets trapped inside a ladder in the corner and crushed several times, and referee Rick Knox finally gets his revenge on the Young Bucks with a pretty decent Tope con Hilo.

2013 - NJPW Wrestlekingdom 7/NOAH Final Burning in Budokan (Kenta Kobashi Retirement event)
I'm divided on this, WK7 is probably the better show but the Final Burning main event is an amazing nostalgia trip for people who appreciate the history.

WK7 has Masato Tanaka, who is still a beast 15 years after his ECW run, Yuji Nagata and Minoru Suzuki battering each other like only two old men can, a great three way match featuring Prince Devitt, Kota Ibushi and Low Ki, Togi Makabe and Shibata having a ten minute sprint of a brawl, and Shinuke Nakamura carrying the corpse of Kazushi Sakuraba to an amazing match. Plus the main event is great, because Okada vs Tanahashi is always great.

Final Burning's lower card is nothing special, outside of Atsushi Kotoge (the real fastest man in wrestling) and a heel New Japan team of Tanahashi, Nagata and Satoshi Kojima. The main event is amazing. The crowd applauding when Kobashi shakes Akiyama's hand, the crowd goading KENTA into facing his mentor, Kobashi and Sasaki referencing their chop battle 8 years previous, and Kobashi finishing the match with a moonsault, which he used in his younger days before his knees were turned to powder. So many little nostalgic moments capped off with Kobashi standing alone in the ring one last time, while the announcer lists his career accomplishments.

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

sticklefifer posted:

I seem to remember Armageddon '02 being really good, but I don't remember what else was good that year.

Survivor Series

• Locked thread